• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryanb
    • Sep 2003
    • 4.2.X

Comparing vBulletin vB 5 CMS and Word Press

Hi all,

I've been running vBulletin for donkey years, and never upgraded to vB 5 because of the lack of its CMS. Now that there is one included, I'm hoping to get some feedback to those who've had experience with this and Word Press. I was considering using WP for my review pages, articles, news, newsletters, etc. (which are all static php pages at the moment). I have a number of WP templates ready to go - ready to import all of the static page data into these. The problem we're facing is connecting vB accounts with WP. It's a daunting task that I don't want to go into here.

What I am wondering is how robust or manipulative vB's CMS is compared to WP. I was never happy with the vB 4.xx CMS. This is why I have been considering WP. Is vB 5 CMS comparable to WP? Are there features not included with vB CMS that are in WP and visa versa? Please let me know. Thanks!
    ~ Master of my own Domain ~
  • In Omnibus
    • Apr 2010

The entire vB5 platform is a CMS. What can be done with it is virtually limitless. There is no comparison between its capabilities and those of vB4.x

WordPress is the industry standard for blogging but the vB5 CMS does so much more than act as a blog.

I use both, depending on the individual client's needs and wants but if given a choice I'd rather use the vB5 custom pages. So much greater flexibility. It's not even close.

Comment

• Bryanb
      • Sep 2003
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by ProSportsForums
      The entire vB5 platform is a CMS. What can be done with it is virtually limitless. There is no comparison between its capabilities and those of vB4.x

WordPress is the industry standard for blogging but the vB5 CMS does so much more than act as a blog.

I use both, depending on the individual client's needs and wants but if given a choice I'd rather use the vB5 custom pages. So much greater flexibility. It's not even close.
      Thanks! What about SEO? How well would you say vB 5 is optimized compared to the latest Word Press?

Comment

• In Omnibus
        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Bryanb

Thanks! What about SEO? How well would you say vB 5 is optimized compared to the latest Word Press?
        I'm really not the authority on SEO as everything I've ever read on it says it's a complete waste of time given the manner in which Google's newest algorithm functions.

Apparently it now ignores meta descriptions, H tags, keyword stuffing, etc. as those were being abused.

There is at least one SEO modification available for vBulletin 5.x on vBulletin.org. You might want to check that for opinions.

I hope someone else has more or better information on SEO for you.

I will say I've never personally found a need for it and have developed or helped develop dozens of successful sites.

Others swear by the need for it and have indicated vB5 leaves something to be desired in terms of SEO.

Comment

• Bryanb
          • Sep 2003
          • 4.2.X

vB 4 allows you to create layouts and grids in the CMS. How is this done in vB 5's CMS? It looks a bit bare bones to me in the backend.

Comment

• In Omnibus
            • Apr 2010

vB 4 allows you to create layouts and grids in the CMS. How is this done in vB 5's CMS? It looks a bit bare bones to me in the backend.
            The same way you create custom pages. You choose the individual modules to be displayed, the layout, the theme, etc.

There are modules for activity, modules by search, PHP modules, Static HTML modules, and more. Virtually every module can be customized.

I think you can test this out on the demo.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

vBulletin 5 has taken the layout and widget model in vBulletin 4 and applied it to the entire site using the tools in Site Builder. You can edit any page, change the layout to control columns and add modules (called widgets in vBulletin 4) to any page in the system. You can further control how it looks by deciding which modules appear in different responsive modes (desktop, tablet, phone).
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• webmastersun
                • Oct 2013
                • 4.2.X

I was never happy with the vB 4.xx CMS. This is why I have been considering WP. Is vB 5 CMS comparable to WP? Are there features not included with vB CMS that are in WP and visa versa? Please let me know. Thanks!
                If you are using vB4x and want to have some functions like wordpress then you can customize it like I did for my forum then you don't need to use WP or vB5

Best Internet Marketing Forum & Webmaster Forum for webmasters and Internet Marketers discussing and trading!

Comment