Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maltair
    • Feb 2009

Chat on vb 5.2.3 ?

I'm not sure what this is, or how it works on 5.2.3 ? I don't notice anything new yet.
  • IggyP
    • Mar 2012

you have to enable it in admincp settings....like under private messaging or someth similar

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

AdminCP > Settings > Options > Private Messaging Options > Enable vB Messenger
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Mackey
        • Mar 2014
        • 5.1.x

I upgraded with the package without images.
        Perhaps this is why I don't see the chat icon by the user name.
        hmmm
        ~ MackeyFlipClockFans.com

Comment

• Mackey
          • Mar 2014
          • 5.1.x

Originally posted by MDawg
          I'm not sure what this is, or how it works on 5.2.3 ? I don't notice anything new yet.
          ok,
          two things: the updated images
          sprite_icons_vb_ltr.png and
          sprite_icons_vb_rtl.png

have to be present.
          Plus ... my custom theme does not support the chat bubble by the user name.
          I'd bet you have a custom theme also Mdawg.
          Last edited by Mackey; Wed 3 Aug '16, 4:30pm.

Comment

• Mackey
            • Mar 2014
            • 5.1.x

Just fyi
            by changing back the following templates to the Vb5 defaults in my custom theme my chat and the new message drop down now work.

header
            css_b_icon.css

I'm not sure yet what else I've buggered up by doing that, I'll have to work on that...but I'm guessing if others have problems they should look in these areas.
            Last edited by Mackey; Wed 3 Aug '16, 5:58pm.

Comment

• Maltair
              • Feb 2009

No custom theme, just using Gradient.

I now enabled AdminCP > Settings > Options > Private Messaging Options > Enable vB Messenger

I did upload whatever there was including the sprite images.

The message drop down, yes! I see that.

The chat - I still don't see how this works. But then, I've been looking to initiate chat from within a PM thread. Can do?

Comment

• IggyP
                • Mar 2012

i would trade it QUICK for more functional albums lol....i still like my footer chat script better...there are several 3rd party options for chat, id rather see energy going to core bug fixes and missing functions than bells and whistles which can be obtained other places...i know ppl were excited for this tho so i can understand some...couple things confusing about it to me at a first glance and im sure there are bugs still being the first version with it in so reserving some opinions..

Comment

• Replicant
                  • Sep 2014

I like the messenger functionality. The 3rd party full blown chat scripts are, IMO, too bloated for a forum. This system is more or less an instant messaging system more so than chat and works similar to FB messenger which I think is a good thing for those coming to the forum from the FB platform. The fact that it is based on the PM functionality works to the advantage as messages are saved as posts in a PM thread and are accessible through the Messaging center just like any other PM.

Comment

• Hidjra
                    • Jan 2002
                    • 4.1.x

I dont see this option in the demo. Apparently the demo is still 5.2.2?

Can I reactivate the demo after it's been upgraded?
                    It was'nt me, it was the one armed man

Comment

• In Omnibus
                      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Replicant
                      I like the messenger functionality. The 3rd party full blown chat scripts are, IMO, too bloated for a forum. This system is more or less an instant messaging system more so than chat and works similar to FB messenger which I think is a good thing for those coming to the forum from the FB platform. The fact that it is based on the PM functionality works to the advantage as messages are saved as posts in a PM thread and are accessible through the Messaging center just like any other PM.
                      I like it for staff communication. The jury is still out on its use for the general population. I'm just not sure regular members need the ability to private message one another walls of text.

Comment

• IggyP
                        • Mar 2012

i feel like vb is trying to be all in one by itself...like when they put the time to make all those themes when there are custom 3rd party styles already available which are plenty nice...
                        it a sound path, but the order its building in seems out of line to me....do functions and bugs first, then stuff we can already get 3rd party later on is my feeling...

but regarding the chat itself.....theres one thing i def dont like and i think some will agree....if you click the chat bubble it auto enters a text and link to the topic and suggesting this chat is about a specific topic.....which.....well.....should be done in the topic where other people can read it in most cases....i wouldnt want members to get into a habit of a more direct chat solution which is flushed away in the pm system...does not help the community....

i currently use arrowchat, which is a tight little footer chat similar to fb and looks like fb....i feel this is different because a chat "room" is more general and social, but it has private chat easily in it that send to any members currently online....so its private, but its not jacking into the middle of a topic discussion....

im still reserving opinion...its good to have choices at least but would be nice to see a different priority direction with development imho

Comment

• JCP_25
                          • Jul 2016
                          • 5.2.x

Originally posted by IggyP
                          i feel like vb is trying to be all in one by itself...like when they put the time to make all those themes when there are custom 3rd party styles already available which are plenty nice...
                          it a sound path, but the order its building in seems out of line to me....do functions and bugs first, then stuff we can already get 3rd party later on is my feeling...

but regarding the chat itself.....theres one thing i def dont like and i think some will agree....if you click the chat bubble it auto enters a text and link to the topic and suggesting this chat is about a specific topic.....which.....well.....should be done in the topic where other people can read it in most cases....i wouldnt want members to get into a habit of a more direct chat solution which is flushed away in the pm system...does not help the community....

i currently use arrowchat, which is a tight little footer chat similar to fb and looks like fb....i feel this is different because a chat "room" is more general and social, but it has private chat easily in it that send to any members currently online....so its private, but its not jacking into the middle of a topic discussion....

im still reserving opinion...its good to have choices at least but would be nice to see a different priority direction with development imho
                          Hi, arrowchat looks interesting. Do you know if it supports VB 5.2.3 ?
                          Anxiety Forum

Comment

• IggyP
                            • Mar 2012

yes it does
                            there is a software installation selection step just make sure you toggle the vb option over to vb5..

i was a little worried at first i might have to choose between one or the other to avoid confusion, but im coming around a little to vb one also.. since messages can still be used the old way its just another option basically...couple little details on the vb one but im assuming it will be developed further so not thinking about it much..

Comment

• JCP_25
                              • Jul 2016
                              • 5.2.x

Originally posted by IggyP
                              yes it does
                              there is a software installation selection step just make sure you toggle the vb option over to vb5..

i was a little worried at first i might have to choose between one or the other to avoid confusion, but im coming around a little to vb one also.. since messages can still be used the old way its just another option basically...couple little details on the vb one but im assuming it will be developed further so not thinking about it much..
                              Great thanks

Do you know if it's possible to have the chat in other places other than the footer? I was thinking of just having a link to it on navigation bar then opening in new window/tab.
                              Anxiety Forum

Comment