• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlexTheRota
    • Jun 2015
    • 5.1.x

Admin name replaces username when updating user profile

Hello,

VBulletin 5.1.8, running on Apache / MySQL on Amazon EC2 systems, no modules or plugins.

The head of community management is blocked by a bug that I cannot trace down, or reproduce (but he can 100%).

The issue is when this admin (administrator user) opens a users profile page via AdminCP (users > find users ...) that admins user name replaces the actual user name, and cannot be edited. If the admin attempts to commit changes to the target users profile, he receives an error saying the user name is already taken (which it is, because it is the admins name).

This does not happen to me, so I'm guessing it's environmental. This user experiences the issue with both Chrome and Safari browsers on his OSx Mac laptop.

Thanks,
    -Alex
  • glennrocksvb
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Mar 2011
    • 5.7.X

If he changes it back to the actual username, does it revert back to the admin's username?

If he does "right click and then choose View frame source", and then searches for "user[username]" in the source, does he see his username or the actual username in the value attribute?
    Code:
    <input type="text" class="bginput" name="user[username]" id="it_user[username]_1" value="[COLOR=#FF0000]XXXXX[/COLOR]" ... />
    If he sees the actual username, then there's some javascript that is modifying the username on the fly.

Btw, your forum is 5.1.8 PL1. It is highly recommended you upgrade to the latest version or at least apply 5.1.8 PL3 security patch. Your forum has 2 security vulnerabilities.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• AlexTheRota
      • Jun 2015
      • 5.1.x

Hello, thank you for the quick reply

The user is not able to change the name in the field. It appears as yellow and will not allow selection. (See Screenshot: how the user name field is yellow). He is unable to provide the source from his instance, but this is what I see on the same system on my client (chrome).

<div id="ctrl_user[username]">
      <input type="text" class="bginput" name="user[username]" id="it_user[username]_1" value="Carlos719" size="35" dir="ltr" tabindex="1">
      </div>

Comment

• glennrocksvb
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • Mar 2011
        • 5.7.X

Then the field must be readonly or disabled. Some non-vBulletin script is doing this. There might be a plugin installed on his browser that's doing this. Ask him to try other browser.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• AlexTheRota
          • Jun 2015
          • 5.1.x

Agent Ronin says that he is not, that there are no plug-ins on the browser. Are there any other items to check? I could ask him to uninstall and reinstall his browser, but I want to make that the last task if possible.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

All browsers have autocomplete for form fields now. Have him turn that off in the browser and see if the issue continues. This is not something that vBulletin itself does.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• AlexTheRota
              • Jun 2015
              • 5.1.x

Hey hey!

Got word today that it worked! It was indeed the auto-fill that was causing the issue. Now that he has deactivated the feature, he can modify the user name field and save.

Thanks much for the great support!
              -Alex The Rota

Comment

• AlexTheRota
                • Jun 2015
                • 5.1.x

Not related to this issue.
                By the bye, this site frequently loads with out styles (just the HTML). Doesn't matter how I get here (google, direct link, etc). Nothing I do can salvage it once it loads broken, I have to close the tab and try again / try a different link (part of the desired URL...).

Comment