X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnPBee
    • Oct 2015
    • 5.3.x

Close but no cigar...

I'm new to vBulletin 5 and after seeing the initial announcement, watched video's and looked at the demo forum I was very excited to try it out and so I purchased a license without given it a second though. My goal was to implement vB 5 connect and add the mobile and branding options as things moved along. Problem is however that I was never able to get my project off the ground with the existing package as I discovered it doesn't permit the copying and/or creation of custom modules. Which I would have needed in order to realize my homepage(news driven).

That said, I feel somewhat let down by this as I could have easily realized my goals using an earlier version of vBulletin along with vBadvanced. Though that would also mean that I have wasted my hard earned money on a license that I won't actually be using. And so my only recourse at this stage is to sell my vB 5 connect license and move on.

Long story short, I should have done my homework before investing several hundreds dollars in a software that couldn't meet my needs. Though a part of me can't help but feel as though vBulletin is shooting itself in the foot by steering people toward an external service rather than to provide customized services at a cost. As I've discovered that that vBulletin.org custom code requests haven't been very fruitful over the years in my own experiences. - my two cents of course.

All in all, vBulletin 5 seems like a nice software so long as the intent falls within the set limits of the software. Whereas the customization aspect of the software feels confined to a very narrow criteria or set of rules which could easily discourage users into looking elsewhere.

My experience in a nutshell.

PS. Is there a designated place to to sell my vB 5 license legitimately? I've owned it less than 1 week and would like to use the funds to move my project forward as I won't be using vBulletin 5 connect at this time. Also, I am quite disappointed to see that vBulletin doesn't allow refunds for their software as this will no doubt impact my willingness to give their software another look for future projects. :/
    Last edited by JohnPBee; Tue 27 Oct '15, 3:35am.
  • glennrocksvb
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Mar 2011
    • 5.7.X

With a vB5 license, you can use any version of vB. So you don't have to sell your license if you wan to try vB4 or vB3.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• JohnPBee
      • Oct 2015
      • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
      With a vB5 license, you can use any version of vB. So you don't have to sell your license if you wan to try vB4 or vB3.
      That's a good point. Though I already have a license for earlier version and so I really won't be needing this one.
      Last edited by JohnPBee; Tue 27 Oct '15, 9:55am.

Comment

• Brad Padgett
        • Jul 2014
        • 5.1.x

Originally posted by JohnPBee
        That's a good point. Though I already have a license for earlier version and so I really won't be needing this one.
        There are some issues with vbAdvanced you may want to know about. In vBulletin 4.2.3 if you delete or disable the product, the navigation menu for the add-on does not get deleted. I tried it for a while then discovered this and did a fresh install to get rid of it before starting my forum.

"Do not go where the path may lead, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• JohnPBee
          • Oct 2015
          • 5.3.x

Originally posted by TheXboxCloud
          There are some issues with vbAdvanced you may want to know about. In vBulletin 4.2.3 if you delete or disable the product, the navigation menu for the add-on does not get deleted. I tried it for a while then discovered this and did a fresh install to get rid of it before starting my forum.
          Great to note and thanks for sharing.
          I was leaning toward 3.8.9 this round however, given that I have more experience with the software and where vB 4 hasn't gotten very good reviews.
          Though I might give vB 4 a try once I get things together and have a little more breathing room in terms of deadlines to meet.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...