X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richy
    • Oct 2011
    • 4.2.X

Chrome 4.2 and vBulletin / Facebook plugin and Javascript

We are about to enable the Facebook plugin and so have upgraded PHP to 5.5.9 and vBulletin to the latest 5.1.6 Patch Level 1.

However as you are all probably aware, Google has decreed that Chrome will not support any NPAPI Plugins from September 2015, which includes any Java/Javascript. In fact from the latest version of Chrome 4.2 which was released during April, Java is disabled by default and even manually enabling it is causing issues with other web sites which have Java inclusions. I note that the Facebook plugin for vBulletin requires Javascript to be enabled, so are there any plans for this plugin to be updated to work with Chrome in the future?

Looking at our stats, the majority of member connections are via Chrome.

Thanks R
  • glennrocksvb
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Mar 2011
    • 5.7.X

vBulletin and Facebook SDK do not use NPAPI plugins. They both use Javascript but do not use NPAPI. NPAPI is only used for developing browser extensions/add-ons.

Btw, I think you meant Chrome 42 not 4.2

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

We don't use Java at all in vBulletin 5.X either. Java and JavaScript are two unrelated and different programming languages these days.

There should be no adjustments needed for Facebook Connect to work in Chrome. If Chrome stopped parsing Javascript, 90% of the Web would stop working. Including all of Google's own websites.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Richy
        • Oct 2011
        • 4.2.X

Thank you guys, appreciate the quick answers. Yes I meant v42 LOL .

Comment