X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mangoz
    • Jan 2015
    • 5.1.x

I quit. So much time and money wasted.

After wrestling with so many bugs and excuses in vb5, I'm done. I migrated my 2 month old forum off of the software before I could dig the hole any deeper.

I switched to lets say, Brand X ( ) and things are just amazing when they work without excuses and headache.
    In one half day I went from broken, laggy, slow software to a forum that my users are actually excited about.

- dev support and add-ons
    - speed, my god finally no hanging for no reason.
    - proper AJAX page refreshes so things show up the way they are supposed to when they are supposed to
    - speed!! you just can't believe how slow things you feel until your move off of it
    - better mobile experience. ALL of my responsive design works!
    - reputation that makes sense
    - real time alerts

I've spent upwards of 20 hours a week every week for the last 2 months having to reinvent the wheel. Can't figure out, get pointed to the 2 year old JIRA, hunt google for a workaround, do it again.

So what does vb5 do well?
    -Basic Theming.- site builder and the stylevar are pretty good and really let you customize every detail of the stock style. But there is almost no aftermarket support so I won't expand this to "theming" in general.
    -The content slider is very easy to use.
    -Viglink integration - that was a nice touch. Easy to turn on or off for guests or registered

I'm not really sure who SHOULD buy vb5? Maybe the vbcloud for some people?

And the main reason I bought vb5 (the mobile suite that doesn't work) I still don't have. But at least now tapatalk supports my forum properly since it has a higher market share.

Respectfully out. Sorry for the staff stuck in the middle of IB management and consumers stuck on this product. Thanks for all your attempts in the face of this disaster.
    The reputation bar is hard coded. This is bad design.
    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-14349
    Facebook 2 step registration doesn't work
    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-9490
    Vbulletin android app does not work with VB5 and has no roadmap -- don't buy it! Demand better.
    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/...Aroadmap-panel
  • TheLastSuperman
    • Sep 2008

You quit my butt!

Run vBulletin 4, head over to www.vbulletin.org snag some of the useful mods, install a style and tinker with it until you have it how you like - ask questions on the org too the community is great and we'll help .

Enjoy 4 for a while then once 5 improves more to your liking you can upgrade then .

Former vBulletin Support Staff
    Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
    Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• Farook Ahmed
      • Jan 2015
      • 5.1.x

Enjoy 4 for a while then once 5 improves more to your liking you can upgrade then
      And when will this be, just how long until we see vB 5 free of bugs...

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Farook Ahmed

And when will this be, just how long until we see vB 5 free of bugs...

Well that my friend is just like the age old question regarding getting to the center of a tootsie pop, "the world may never know" .

Former vBulletin Support Staff
        Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
        Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• Farook Ahmed
          • Jan 2015
          • 5.1.x

Ok that was funny, but seriously speaking of the options available, Invision Power, Xenforo, Burn Board and the pricey Vanilla I still feel vB takes the cake when it comes to Layout. Its with out a doubt the best overall layout. While some people may prefer IP its their personal choice, it does have some cool features and of-course is bug free but I still feel its like reading out of an old school news paper. The feel of vB is what I would prefer particularly when it comes to modules and a lot more. Full marks to you guys on the design factor. Just hope the bugs are dealt with. That said I am hanging on here for a few more months until I feel I can handle it and hope you guys get the best engineers and don't let us down.

This one should be on High Priority.
          Last edited by Farook Ahmed; Sun 15 Mar '15, 10:13pm.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
            Former vBulletin Developer
            • Mar 2011
            • 5.7.X

Originally posted by Farook Ahmed
            This one should be on High Priority.
            I replied on that JIRA.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Farook Ahmed
              • Jan 2015
              • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
              I replied on that JIRA.
              Yes you did, now that is a critical update and needs to be dealt with urgently, preferably in 5.1.6. This may get the whole matter a bit out of hand once the community grows.

Comment

• medved
                • Apr 2008

OP, good decision. users of my forum are cursing me all the time, why i haven't chosen a better forum. it doesn't even have friendly URLs. well, for me it is too late now.
                What is JIRA?

Comment