Vbulletin should finally fix the reputation bars and have them make sense for admin and user.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mangoz
    • Jan 2015
    • 5.1.x

Vbulletin should finally fix the reputation bars and have them make sense for admin and user.

I hope that this post will help the massive confusion about reputation ("likes" but that's a silly not intuitive name that is too tough to search for so vbulletin should also quit using that term in my opinion. It gets even more confusing when you include any facebook integration )

The current setup is as follows:
    The reputation manager in the admincp ONLY makes changes about the reputation description. This description is only see when mousing over the reputation bar (those lighted "pips" seen under my name). It does NOTHING to the bar itself.

The bar itself does not respond to any of your settings. It goes up and up until it hits ~600 reputation and then its maxed. That's it.
    That means someone with the top reputation level or the middle level, as long as they have at least 600 they will be maxed out. You have to hover over the bar to see any difference.

Of course, this is bad design and makes no sense at all to the end user.

Users do not know to hover over this bar.
    Hovering over the bar may tell you two different reputation descriptions for two different users, but both have full bars lit up.

So, not only do the bars fill up too fast (600 reputation -- my users hit this in about 6 weeks with all the default settings), there is nothing the admin can do to change this. The ~600 is hard coded.
    Your admincp changes to reputation ONLY change the mouse over description.

This needs to be changed. Not a single user on my forum knew to mouse over this bar by default. OF COURSE everyone uses the visual queue which is the whole point of the bar.

The fix is simple of course...

When a user hits a new reputation level (the same one we already set in the admincp) the software should light another bar. This is straight forward, links the bar to the reputation and reputation description, and allows the admin to control how fast these bars light up. If you search the forum, this is exactly what most people THINK this system is doing, but it is not and is the cause of much confusion.

If you agree, click here and vote. This needs fixing. Otherwise reputation system basically does nothing after 600 reputation, other than change a mostly hidden value.
    The reputation bar is hard coded. This is bad design.
    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-14349
    Facebook 2 step registration doesn't work
    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-9490
    Vbulletin android app does not work with VB5 and has no roadmap -- don't buy it! Demand better.
    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/...Aroadmap-panel
  • mangoz
    • Jan 2015
    • 5.1.x

Error... I guess this should go under suggestions forum???

Feel free to move
    The reputation bar is hard coded. This is bad design.
    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-14349
    Facebook 2 step registration doesn't work
    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-9490
    Vbulletin android app does not work with VB5 and has no roadmap -- don't buy it! Demand better.
    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/...Aroadmap-panel

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

Just for what its worth, this is the same system as vB3 and vB4, which were also hardcoded.

Comment

• mangoz
        mangoz commented
        Editing a comment
        No one complained then because they were at least 2000 (instead of 600)

Short term I wish I knew where this value was hardcoded so I could edit my own forum.

Longterm this should be done in a clearer way where those bars relate to the repuation level that the admin controls.
    • Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

As an aside, "Likes" is what the overwhelming majority of customer feedback told us it should be called.
      Originaly in early vB5 alphas it was "Votes" but this was quickly rejected through customer feedback.
      We would not ignore customer feedback just because Facebook happens to use the same term.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• mangoz
        mangoz commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm fine with that and it makes sense if that's what they want. I just wish that there was more documentation then because it makes search for the topic VERY difficult
    • glennrocksvb
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • Mar 2011
      • 5.7.X

There is a way to display the reputation description using pure CSS. I made a tutorial on this.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• mangoz
        mangoz commented
        Editing a comment
        This may be helpful. Thank you for the help!
        My users are still confused about how people are different levels but all the same bars.

If I could get a straight answer from support of where the bar is hardcoded, I was thinking I could setup the reputation levels and reputation descriptions in a linear fashion.
        There are 10 pips. I could get each pip to equal a round value like 200 or something. Then I could set each reputation level description to said round value. Tada, people grow their bar and description in a linked linear fashion.
    • Graham Walters
      • Feb 2013
      • 5.1.x

It would be handy if you could disable the reputation bars, or even set them to your own levels,

ie: each bar = 200 likes ?

Comment

• mangoz
        mangoz commented
        Editing a comment
        That's basically what I'm getting at.

The admin panel already gives you the option under reputation manager to determine the reputation description. The bars should just be linked to that. You could just set each reputationlevel to 0, 200,400, 600... and your users would get the new description (the mouseover tooltip) and light the correct number of bars.
    • Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Feel free to enter a JIRA for an improvement request on this.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• mangoz
        mangoz commented
        Editing a comment
        I did, its in the OP

• Wayne Luke
        Wayne Luke commented
        Editing a comment
        I think the idea has merit so I voted for it. The more votes an improvement request gets, the more likelihood that it will get implemented. May take a while though. Many high voted vBulletin 4 suggestions didn't get implemented until vBulletin 5.
    • medved
      • Apr 2008

I also don't get why there are 10 bars when 2 bars are always lighted at the same time. You can just have there 5 bars. It doesn't make sense to light 2 bars at the same time. It would be better to show there actual number of likes.
      Last edited by medved; Fri 18 Jan '19, 1:26pm.

Comment

• fionix
        • Jul 2007

Voted for it... other Vbulletin forums have this working, so I don't understand why there is no one that can post a simple fix for it somewhere!
        Cyprus Company Formation
        |Cyprus Offshore Bank Account| Offshore Company Formation| Asset Protection Offshore

Comment

• medved
          • Apr 2008

When this reputation bars problem will be fixed? I have people with 100 posts or less and they have already all bars filled up. Can someone please fix it?

Comment

• voyger
            • Jun 2017

Originally posted by medved
            When this reputation bars problem will be fixed? I have people with 100 posts or less and they have already all bars filled up. Can someone please fix it?
            I agree with you got the same problem wonder if ever will be a fix
            voyger.: In Almighty God I trust, everyone else has to provide evidence."

vBulletin Version 5.5.5

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

You can adjust the levels for the pips in the admincp. Generally for this to work as expected you then have to reset all the reputation scores and start again.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------

Comment

• In Omnibus
                • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Mark.B
                You can adjust the levels for the pips in the admincp. Generally for this to work as expected you then have to reset all the reputation scores and start again.
                Adjusting the values has no effect on the pips.

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

Originally posted by In Omnibus

Adjusting the values has no effect on the pips.
                  It does if you remove the reputation values out of the database.
                  Admittedly that worked on vB4 where the same issues occurred. I haven't tried it on vB5.

My own view is that the pips should be scrapped and be replaced with a simple total number of likes.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------

Comment

• In Omnibus
                    In Omnibus commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've long argued reputation is the most abused and least useful feature of forum software. Having said that I do understand it's a popular feature. On my test site I go from zero bars to two bars at 100 reputation points regardless of the values entered in the AdminCP. I've even tried changing the values in the functions_reputation.php file based on the comments in the file but they appear to be for vBulletin 4.x and have no effect on vBulletin 5.
                • medved
                  • Apr 2008

Reputation is actually very, very useful. It motivates people to post and to be active. One of the most useful features.

Comment

• In Omnibus
                    In Omnibus commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's not an accurate reflection of a member's contribution to the forums. It's simply a reflection of popularity.