Vbulletin should finally fix the reputation bars and have them make sense for admin and user.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mangoz
    commented on 's reply
    That's basically what I'm getting at.

The admin panel already gives you the option under reputation manager to determine the reputation description. The bars should just be linked to that. You could just set each reputationlevel to 0, 200,400, 600... and your users would get the new description (the mouseover tooltip) and light the correct number of bars.

• Graham Walters
    replied
    It would be handy if you could disable the reputation bars, or even set them to your own levels,

ie: each bar = 200 likes ?

Leave a comment:

• mangoz
    commented on 's reply
    This may be helpful. Thank you for the help!
    My users are still confused about how people are different levels but all the same bars.

If I could get a straight answer from support of where the bar is hardcoded, I was thinking I could setup the reputation levels and reputation descriptions in a linear fashion.
    There are 10 pips. I could get each pip to equal a round value like 200 or something. Then I could set each reputation level description to said round value. Tada, people grow their bar and description in a linked linear fashion.

• glennrocksvb
    replied
    There is a way to display the reputation description using pure CSS. I made a tutorial on this.

Leave a comment:

• mangoz
    commented on 's reply
    No one complained then because they were at least 2000 (instead of 600)

Short term I wish I knew where this value was hardcoded so I could edit my own forum.

Longterm this should be done in a clearer way where those bars relate to the repuation level that the admin controls.

• mangoz
    commented on 's reply
    I'm fine with that and it makes sense if that's what they want. I just wish that there was more documentation then because it makes search for the topic VERY difficult

• Mark.B
    replied
    As an aside, "Likes" is what the overwhelming majority of customer feedback told us it should be called.
    Originaly in early vB5 alphas it was "Votes" but this was quickly rejected through customer feedback.
    We would not ignore customer feedback just because Facebook happens to use the same term.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Just for what its worth, this is the same system as vB3 and vB4, which were also hardcoded.

Leave a comment:

• mangoz
    replied
    Error... I guess this should go under suggestions forum???

Feel free to move

Leave a comment:

• Vbulletin should finally fix the reputation bars and have them make sense for admin and user.

I hope that this post will help the massive confusion about reputation ("likes" but that's a silly not intuitive name that is too tough to search for so vbulletin should also quit using that term in my opinion. It gets even more confusing when you include any facebook integration )

The current setup is as follows:
    The reputation manager in the admincp ONLY makes changes about the reputation description. This description is only see when mousing over the reputation bar (those lighted "pips" seen under my name). It does NOTHING to the bar itself.

The bar itself does not respond to any of your settings. It goes up and up until it hits ~600 reputation and then its maxed. That's it.
    That means someone with the top reputation level or the middle level, as long as they have at least 600 they will be maxed out. You have to hover over the bar to see any difference.

Of course, this is bad design and makes no sense at all to the end user.

Users do not know to hover over this bar.
    Hovering over the bar may tell you two different reputation descriptions for two different users, but both have full bars lit up.

So, not only do the bars fill up too fast (600 reputation -- my users hit this in about 6 weeks with all the default settings), there is nothing the admin can do to change this. The ~600 is hard coded.
    Your admincp changes to reputation ONLY change the mouse over description.

This needs to be changed. Not a single user on my forum knew to mouse over this bar by default. OF COURSE everyone uses the visual queue which is the whole point of the bar.

The fix is simple of course...

When a user hits a new reputation level (the same one we already set in the admincp) the software should light another bar. This is straight forward, links the bar to the reputation and reputation description, and allows the admin to control how fast these bars light up. If you search the forum, this is exactly what most people THINK this system is doing, but it is not and is the cause of much confusion.

If you agree, click here and vote. This needs fixing. Otherwise reputation system basically does nothing after 600 reputation, other than change a mostly hidden value.