Is There A Way To Disable Mentions Globally, Per Usergroup, Or Per UserID?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • In Omnibus
    • Apr 2010

Is There A Way To Disable Mentions Globally, Per Usergroup, Or Per UserID?

This feature has high potential for misuse and / or abuse and we'd like the option to disable it any or all of the ways mentioned in the thread title.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

There is no global way at this time. Individual Users can choose to be notified of the mentions in their notifications panel.

How will it be abused?
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• In Omnibus
      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      There is no global way at this time. Individual Users can choose to be notified of the mentions in their notifications panel.

How will it be abused?
      Will is a definitive. I would say it has strong potential for abuse in certain types of forums. A couple of ways in which that might occur are by spam mentions of staff who have not replied to a member, e.g. "Hey Staff why haven't you answered my question!?!" ad nauseum and by members spam mentioning one another in a harassing manner in some kind of baiting manner, e.g. "@member "You're an XYZ ...."

I realize not all forums are hostile environments but many are and we'd prefer admin control over the function as opposed to member control.

Comment

• rhens
        • Sep 2012

wayne, prosportsforums is my partner and programmer. he has all my logins and passwords necessary to run our instance of vB5. he personally does not have a vB5 license, but is an equal partner in our project....i trust him implicitly and authorize any discussion pertaining to the vB5 software to channel through him....as i have no idea how any of that stuff works.

thank-you

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ProSportsForums

Will is a definitive. I would say it has strong potential for abuse in certain types of forums. A couple of ways in which that might occur are by spam mentions of staff who have not replied to a member, e.g. "Hey Staff why haven't you answered my question!?!" ad nauseum and by members spam mentioning one another in a harassing manner in some kind of baiting manner, e.g. "@member "You're an XYZ ...."

I realize not all forums are hostile environments but many are and we'd prefer admin control over the function as opposed to member control.

You can create a feature request to add a usergroup permission here: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/...91&issuetype=7

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

I added:
          http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-14201 - Usergroup Permission
          http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-14200 - Global Switch.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Kevin Sours
            Lead Developer
            • Apr 2008
            • 5.5.x

Looking at implementing this and had a question. The user mentions feature does two things
            1) Creates a link to the user's member profile
            2) Sends a notification to the user

It seems like the second part is the problematic one and I was wondering if anybody saw a need to disable the first part
            Kevin

Comment

• In Omnibus
              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Kevin Sours
              Looking at implementing this and had a question. The user mentions feature does two things
              1) Creates a link to the user's member profile
              2) Sends a notification to the user

It seems like the second part is the problematic one and I was wondering if anybody saw a need to disable the first part
              Kevin
              I don't see why a link to a member profile would cause an issue. I would suggest the notifications are the concern. I see no need to disable the first part. Thank you for asking for input.

Comment