• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dizzynation
    • Jun 2011
    • 4.2.X

VB5 isn't that good.....

As of yet at least....

So I started with a 100% clear mind and fresh eyes.... I got the demo, and the first thing that I saw and felt like doing was to create a blog...

I click the button to create a blog and did some random text.... then I clicked submit. I was expecting to see the blog, but instead it put it to the right hand side as if it was a widget
    That confused me right away. Then I decided to create another one and I click "+ Blog Entry" then I clicked submit - apparently it added a comment to the first blog.... really confusing when I found
    out it really was a second blog, but it went under "Blog Latest Comments"

I own many wordpress sites (some that get 30,000 uniques a day) and a few vb forums, 3.8.7 and 4.2 PL3

none are as confusing as VB5

**THIS IS JUST MY FIRST IMPRESSION SO FAR** I will update this as I go.

(A side note to the developers - As a feature film producer, I understand that when a film is getting edited it needs fresh eyes to notice things or else it will become JADED to the editor.... Just because the editor knows what is coming around the corner in the film, doesn't mean the audience does)
    www.filmmakerforum.org
    www.digidistribution.com
  • lostincable
    • Mar 2009

If you are going to update as you go maybe edit your title to "A day in the life of VB5" or something similar.....

Comment

• chris15440
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by lostincable
      If you are going to update as you go maybe edit your title to "A day in the life of VB5" or something similar.....
      You're right. This thread will get closed faster than they axed moving VB.com forums to VB5 this morning...

Comment

• dizzynation
        • Jun 2011
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by chris15440
        You're right. This thread will get closed faster than they axed moving VB.com forums to VB5 this morning...
        Why do you think my thread will be closed? I offer straight forward feedback and will continue to do so. Unless this was a joke and I misread.. I am a huge VB fan, and love the support they offer

I will update the title though, so it matches my post as I go along
        www.filmmakerforum.org
        www.digidistribution.com

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

Please don't post lies on the forum.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• oldz442
            • Apr 2012

Lies... Abuse. Say it aint so.
            ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• waldvb
              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by dizzynation
              As of yet at least....

So I started with a 100% clear mind and fresh eyes.... I got the demo, and the first thing that I saw and felt like doing was to create a blog...

I click the button to create a blog and did some random text.... then I clicked submit. I was expecting to see the blog, but instead it put it to the right hand side as if it was a widget
              That confused me right away. Then I decided to create another one and I click "+ Blog Entry" then I clicked submit - apparently it added a comment to the first blog.... really confusing when I found
              out it really was a second blog, but it went under "Blog Latest Comments"
              You're right. "Blogs" in VB5 - this is just a piece of ...
              Why they call it Blogs?
              Last edited by waldvb; Sun 17 Feb '13, 10:06am.
              www.wood-furniture.biz/forums/

Comment

• DemOnstar
                • Nov 2012

I have created 7 blogs and they look ok to me. Visually, it is not a widget or a latest comment, it is an article. I use this instead of CMS because of the lack of CMS.

This was of course in Beta 23 as I cannot get Beta 28 to install. LOL...................

I will forget that for the moment as I can't be bothered finding a fix. I have had several suggestions (https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/memb.../436933-Set3sh) but all a tad too complicated for me.
                Editing PHP ini's, how the devil do I do that and why should I need to do that?
                Ok off topic.

Good luck with your query, it seems all the problems are scattered individually. By that I mean, few people have the same problem.
                Maybe it depends on your set up but I don't know. I have my own problems but I don't see others reporting an identical problem.

Complicated stuff.

Comment

• chris15440
                  • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Mark.B
                  Please don't post lies on the forum.
                  Hmm, where I'm from, we have this little thing called the first amendment. Not sure how it goes for our "neighbours across the pond" however.

Comment

• In Omnibus
                    • Apr 2010

Comment

• oldz442
                      • Apr 2012

Hmm, where I'm from, we have this little thing called the first amendment. Not sure how it goes for our "neighbours across the pond" however.
                      See... you have to put 'LIKE' somewhere in there when you make an accusation. These brits are funny like that.
                      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

And it doesn't protect you from private entities (which we are), or from a lot of other things. So drop it quick fast and in a hurry

You should probably have a read on that.

Comment

• chris15440
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Zachery
                          And it doesn't protect you from private entities (which we are), or from a lot of other things. So drop it quick fast and in a hurry

You should probably have a read on that.
                          Seems as if I struck a cord. Shouldn't you at least be directing your personal attacks and threats to either email or private message? The gall and audacity of VB employees never surprises me these days! No regard or respect for their long time paying customers...

Comment

• Mark.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            • Feb 2004
                            • 6.0.X

There are no "personal attacks" being made, staff (and other customers) are merely countering the claim you made.
                            I know all about the First Amendment, and how it doesn't apply to private sites as Zachery has pointed out.
                            This all started because you posted something that was untrue, you can expect to be corrected if you do that. Nothing to do with "respect" or anything similar.

Now...we need to revert this discussion to the topic in hand please. Otherwise we'll be done here.
                            MARK.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            ------------
                            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

It is not an attack. I'm pointing out that you do not have freedom of speech here on our forums, as it does not apply to private entities.

Comment