Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WhiskeyOSS
    • Apr 2010

Favorite Features of VB5 Connect

Just curious as to what features other users like about vb5 connect, I find it to be very versatile but I like the site builder ease of use the most, Its so much easier to build a page with it, let your imagination be your guide is how I see it.
  • Loco.M
    • Mar 2005
    • 3.5.x

I dig the site builder and have from day one.
    That's honestly about it.
    -- Web Developer for hire
    ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• In Omnibus
      • Apr 2010

I think the Site Builder is really the one distinguishing feature. Without it you have vB4x.

Comment

• cellarius
        • Aug 2005
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ProSportsForums
        I think the Site Builder is really the one distinguishing feature. Without it you have vB4x.
        Without it you have a lot less than vB4x at the moment.

Comment

• zappaDPJ
          • Jun 2007

I agree, the site builder is a really nice feature although I find it a bit worrying that some of the feature rich pages I've seen created with it are tortuously slow to load.

As for the rest, I think it's dreadful. Slow, featureless, bare-bones software that seems designed to hide away content.

Comment

• beishe8
            • Oct 2005
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by cellarius
            Without it you have a lot less than vB4x at the moment.
            I almost agree,Cellarius, just a little correction IMO:
            With it you still have a lot less than vB4...

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

Site Builder is a great visual feature. A lot of people like it. I'd like to add:

• Template Hooks - Being able to include new templates within existing ones and not requiring PHP is a big deal for many users. Opens new roads to expansion and makes upgrades easier since you don't have to modify default templates as much.
              • Extensions - Getting the PHP out of the database is good for both customization and security. Security wise, it moves security for this to the server which is stronger and often easier to configure. Also prevents some potential exploits in vBulletin from occurring. Customization because you can edit the files directly and not worry about them in the database.
              • Templates stored as Files - A big improvement request. Allows caching like Memcache to hold the templates and reduce file access. Reduces load on the database as well.
              • Custom Pages - Part of Site Builder but a long requested feature for true custom static pages. The vB4.X CMS made a go at this but wasn't quite successful in my opinion. Here the Admin has a lot more control and the pages behave correctly.

I would like to see better customization features such as "Style Applied to Page" and unique CSS IDs on Widgets. We'll see how the next few months go. I've also been pushing to have more features exposed in the default UI. Some changes have been made in this regard, just not released yet. More to come I suspect. Feature Parity with 4.x will be a big priority in upcoming releases. Isn't going to happen overnight though.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• lostincable
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                Site Builder is a great visual feature. A lot of people like it. I'd like to add:

• Template Hooks - Being able to include new templates within existing ones and not requiring PHP is a big deal for many users. Opens new roads to expansion and makes upgrades easier since you don't have to modify default templates as much.
                • Extensions - Getting the PHP out of the database is good for both customization and security. Security wise, it moves security for this to the server which is stronger and often easier to configure. Also prevents some potential exploits in vBulletin from occurring. Customization because you can edit the files directly and not worry about them in the database.
                • Templates stored as Files - A big improvement request. Allows caching like Memcache to hold the templates and reduce file access. Reduces load on the database as well.
                • Custom Pages - Part of Site Builder but a long requested feature for true custom static pages. The vB4.X CMS made a go at this but wasn't quite successful in my opinion. Here the Admin has a lot more control and the pages behave correctly.

I would like to see better customization features such as "Style Applied to Page" and unique CSS IDs on Widgets. We'll see how the next few months go. I've also been pushing to have more features exposed in the default UI. Some changes have been made in this regard, just not released yet. More to come I suspect. Feature Parity with 4.x will be a big priority in upcoming releases. Isn't going to happen overnight though.
                I have to agree with this, Site Builder is really the dealer winner for me on this one.....

Whilst it is only one thing what it does do is free you up for other things!

I also agree, "Style Applied to Page" would be unreal as would widget styling that would be fantastic and really allow you to custom the site even more....

As much as I would like to have more features exposed in the default UI I fear I may have to spend more time disabling unwanted items so if it happens maybe ensuring that they can be turned of easily is probably a good idea!

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

Site Builder really doesn't get the praise it deserves.

I honestly don't know why that is. Whilst it's true that similar systems have been in place in other non-forum software for a while now, vB5's Site Builder is, for the commercial forum market, a true game changer.

My favourite anecdote is my visual "Who's Online" block, with avatars. With the help of one of Lynne's incredible sidebar mods, I got Who's Online with avatars to work on my vB4 site with a few hours of coding and styling work and a good knowledge of php, sidebar blocks and the way vBulletin 4 handles avatars. All well and good, it's great that vB4 is extendible in this way.

In vB5 I added the exact same block in 12 seconds.

There's not much more to say than that, really. Site Builder FTW!

Could Site Builder be improved? Yes! But as a solid foundation that revolutionises how admins can customise their sites, it's revolutionary in the forum world.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------
                  My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                  My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• WhiskeyOSS
                    • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

I agree with you Wayne I brought up the Templates back in beta 21 when I kept loosing my main page every time I turned around.
                    and the custom page your brought up would be a blessing I would like to have a 3 or 4 column page to work with that would be awesome.
                    but I fear it may be a long wait, but I hope I am wrong

Comment

• beishe8
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Mark.B
                      Site Builder really doesn't get the praise it deserves.

I honestly don't know why that is.
                      There isn't a big rush to install vB5 on live forums so it's tested only on test forums.
                      The licence owner installs it then when he/she sees the condition of his/her testforum with its slowness,function lost,
                      he/she quits before gets a headache.
                      He/she did not practise with Site Builder.
                      On the official vB test site members cannot play with it because it's a tool for admins.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• lostincable
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by beishe8
                        There isn't a big rush to install vB5 on live forums so it's tested only on test forums.
                        The licence owner installs it then when he/she sees the condition of his/her testforum with its slowness,function lost,
                        he/she quits before gets a headache.
                        He/she did not practise with Site Builder.
                        On the official vB test site members cannot play with it because it's a tool for admins.
                        And he/she can actually go to the home page and click the big button that says "Try it" to get a full demo of VB5 which gives full access to the site builder prior to purchasing

Comment

• hornstar6969
                          • Aug 2005
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by lostincable
                          And he/she can actually go to the home page and click the big button that says "Try it" to get a full demo of VB5 which gives full access to the site builder prior to purchasing

https://www.vbulletin.com/
                          Yeah but this was about the site builder not getting the praise it deserves. I bet a lot more people have tried the vb demo where you can't try the site builder than there has been people try the 3 day demo.
                          For instance I have not used site builder yet.
                          Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

Comment

• Ramsesx
                            • Aug 2005
                            • 3.8.x

Just created a demo and tested the site builder again. I agree it has a lot of potential and could be really powerful. Especially if you could additional change colors and stylevars on the go, it would be cool.
                            Beside of that, overall there's still a lot of work to be done to convince me.

Comment

• Grotesque
                              • Dec 2012
                              • 4.2.X

We are going live on the 22th of February which we are quite excited about. Sure, it lacks some major features still. Although, we come originally from Zetaboards where vbulletin is already a major improvement. Things I definitely like is the sitebuilder and the freedom to modify things there where needed. Im definitely looking forward to the Calendar release issue. Got a couple of suggestions for that, to make it pretty unique for vbulletin I suppose.

Comment