Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stryka
    • Aug 2002

Unresolved BETA issues seems manageable

Just noticed the Beta 27 has already been worked on.... looks like great progress.... just curious though... since VB said that no new features will be implemented before RC .. has VB went to RC with "Major" issues still open? Is the goal to have 0 major, critical and showstopper issues?

I am pretty sure that the issues list with be exponential in RC because of the larger user base trying on live sites and getting better feedback.

As of today... summary of Issues:
    Showstopper = 2
    Critical = 36
    Major = 417
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

No vB5 is still in Beta at this time and it is not currently known how many betas there will be before the software moves into the next stage - whatever that will be.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• stryka
      • Aug 2002

I think you are so accustomed to that question you didn't realize that i am not asking that question

Please check again... it was just a generic question based on previous RC releases or dev trends with VB.

Originally posted by Mark.B
      No vB5 is still in Beta at this time and it is not currently known how many betas there will be before the software moves into the next stage - whatever that will be.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Well if you're asking "has vB5 gone to RC stage?", the answer is no.
        However I could not tell you if there will even be an RC stage, that hasn't been announced yet.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------

Comment

• stryka
          • Aug 2002

ahhhh man.... not sure why you are misinterpretting the intent of this thread/post... let me re-write the question in BOLD

I am not asking if VB5 is in RC stage... the status of that is pretty apparent

QUESTION:

1. In the past... has VB went to RC with "Major" issues still open
          2. Is the goal to have 0 MAJOR, CRITICAL and SHOWSTOPPER issues before going to RC?

Originally posted by Mark.B
          Well if you're asking "has vB5 gone to RC stage?", the answer is no.
          However I could not tell you if there will even be an RC stage, that hasn't been announced yet.
          Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 21 Jan '13, 11:36am. Reason: removed "shouting"

Comment

• mrwhitee
            • Nov 2012
            • 5.3.x

What is RC ?

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

RC = Release Candidate.
              vB5 will be released when it's considered ready. That's the only information we have at this time.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------

Comment

• wave-rice
                • Feb 2011
                • 5.5.x

RC is an abbreviation for Release Candidate. It traditionally comes before Gold release of a software.
                Aakif Nazir

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by stryka
                  ahhhh man.... not sure why you are misinterpretting the intent of this thread/post... let me re-write the question in BOLD

I am not asking if VB5 is in RC stage... the status of that is pretty apparent

QUESTION:

1. In the past... has VB went to RC with "Major" issues still open
                  2. Is the goal to have 0 MAJOR, CRITICAL and SHOWSTOPPER issues before going to RC?

First, to get answers you should not Yell at the staff. In the future, this will gain you infractions or reduced posting privileges.

To answer your questions, all betas are considered release candidates until they aren't anymore and then the next beta is built. We haven't used the Release Candidate name on versions for quite a while now. The goal is to fix high priority bugs before release. This is a combination of tier (feature importance), priority (data and platform stability) and visibility (how many customers it affects). This means a minor issue that affects all users can be fixed before a major issue that affects one user. We feel by adding visibility to the mix, we will better be able to determine how an issue affects a very broad customer base with broad needs. So just looking at priorities of Major, Critical, etc... doesn't show the entire picture.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• stryka
                    • Aug 2002

Wow... why are you guys so overly sensitive today... can someone read my thread/post before answering and threatening infractions... actually, as i review the thread... mark's answers were actually useles... no offence.. but read them yourself... or something was lost in the translation...

You can't assume the tone of a message because i bolded and enlarged a font... i specifically said i was going to bold and highlight the questions because it seems that he wasn't able to extract the question... why would someone warn about "yelling"

Anyhow.. you answered my question with a detailed and relevant response

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                    First, to get answers you should not Yell at the staff. In the future, this will gain you infractions or reduced posting privileges.

To answer your questions, all betas are considered release candidates until they aren't anymore and then the next beta is built. We haven't used the Release Candidate name on versions for quite a while now. The goal is to fix high priority bugs before release. This is a combination of tier (feature importance), priority (data and platform stability) and visibility (how many customers it affects). This means a minor issue that affects all users can be fixed before a major issue that affects one user. We feel by adding visibility to the mix, we will better be able to determine how an issue affects a very broad customer base with broad needs. So just looking at priorities of Major, Critical, etc... doesn't show the entire picture.
                    Last edited by stryka; Mon 21 Jan '13, 12:06pm.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by stryka
                      why would someone warn about "yelling"
                      Large bold text is the equivalent of yelling. You would have had better response just creating a post with those two lines in it to emphasize them.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• stryka
                        • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                        Large bold text is the equivalent of yelling. You would have had better response just creating a post with those two lines in it to emphasize them.
                        Or it could've simply meant that i was trying to help emphasize what Mark couldn't interpret... anyhow... its semantics... you can close this thread now..

Comment

• napy8gen
                          • Jul 2001
                          • 6.X

I agree with stryka.
                          Looking at the first question. There is no intention or misleading question. And the customer is right about highlighting the question. He being positive since the start.

I hope Wayne you can defence customer first before your sub employee. I think this thread could forward to high IB administrator in here. So to see how communication between customers has been held.
                          Get Our vbulletin 6 themes

Comment