URL rewrite in vb5

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stryka
    • Aug 2002

Hey I, Brian... i would be more concerned about the lack of activity or discussions from VBSEO on how their plugin will adapt to VB5.... i think we already know that VB5 vanilla will not offer much with VBSEO... sure, there are alot of sites working just fine without VBSEO but for those with VBSEO (myself), we can't even touchVB5 until they provide some communication on what their plans are...

i asked them over here: http://www.vbseo.com/f55/vbulletin-5...seo-vb5-55054/

Originally posted by I, Brian
    No worries, now done.

vbulletin 3 was the first forum software package to explicitly allow Google to index it out of the box.

Unbelievably, many other coders never understood why forum owners might want to have Google pick up their forums and display them prominently.

And yet, unless you have a presence on Google, you will not earn an advertising income from your forum, nor will your community grow without some alternative word of mouth marketing.

Being search friendly is very important, and vbseo was but one mod_rewrite option that offered to help with that. It's become a security liability now, though.

Ironically, SEO is just an extension of general usability principles, but even vb3 could make simply mistakes such as offer at least 10 different URLs for the same page:

That's just one reason why so many people used a mod_rewrite solution - vbseo was just one of many - and why many people will not move to vb5 unless they have more comtrol over the mod_rewrite process.

They don't need the full vbseo control panel, but just a couple of simple options, more of less what free software such as Wordpress already offers, would keep make everyone with a mod_rewrite solution already in play much better minded to move to vb5.

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

Please keep discussion of vBSEO's products and services to their site, thanks.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• I, Brian
        • Feb 2003
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by stryka
        i would be more concerned about the lack of activity or discussions from VBSEO
        I'm not too concerned:
        Get instant cash for your mobile phone trade-in, even for broken or old devices. 🚚 Free Postage ✅ Trusted Buyer 💰 Fast Payments.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

We do understand some work is needed on SEO. We've got a number of issues related to this that are being worked on. Customers have to realize that we sell the software as a series now as well. This does reduce cost of ownership over time. I don't expect anyone to upgrade until they get the features they need.

The issue for Canonical URLs is here:

I, Brian's issue is here:

I've added this JIRA request here:
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• I, Brian
            • Feb 2003
            • 3.6.x

Cheers, Wayne - much appreciated. I have at least 7 forums I'd like to consider upgrading from vb3, with a few more mothballed ready to rebuild when financial conditions allow.

Comment

• hornstar6969
              • Aug 2005
              • 3.8.x

Voted. Lets hope they get done sooner rather than later.
              Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

Comment

• Panni100
                • Mar 2010

I would like to see SEO improvements with VB5 too as Brian said word press a free software has dealt with this issue and is not really ideal depending on a third party software to do so.

Comment