Are there any big forums running this yet?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JamalFree
    • Nov 2012
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Mark.B
    Unlikely any really big sites will be running a beta live, to be honest.

Performance and scalability are big focuses in vB5 though.
    i hope see one or more site run this version.............
    blog-technologie.com

Comment

• gxbodybuilding
      • Jan 2013
      • 4.2.X

I seen Mark.B website is on the new version. Surely there are some others?
      Some with banners and adds? A few active forums?
      I'm on the fence thinking maybe I should have gone with the 4 instead of 5.
      I guess I will try it out to start and adjust if needed.
      Will update and leave some feedback here once up and running. Its being installed now.

Comment

• mark99
        • Oct 2002

For me I think the main issue is performance, though even if it was fast I too wouldn't be able to upgrade without that Infraction system as it was a lifesaver with vB4.

But for the time being vB5 remains perilously slow, each page seems to take between 2 to 6 seconds to complete a load even on a low-user day with a good dedicated server and that shouldn't happen. I use to think Wordpress with all my mods enabled was slow but wow.. vB5 needs a lot more work on this front.

I think it might be because of all the JS that needs to be loaded but it’s difficult to judge. Also that horrible “activity stream” stuff would be the first thing I disable; it’s just a mass of confusion for ordinary forum users.

Probably needs another year or two to mature into a reasonable product and in the meantime I hope they don’t drop vB4 support like a cold turkey as it would force me elsewhere.

Comment

• wdwms
          • Jan 2013
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by mark99
          For me I think the main issue is performance, though even if it was fast I too wouldn't be able to upgrade without that Infraction system as it was a lifesaver with vB4.

But for the time being vB5 remains perilously slow, each page seems to take between 2 to 6 seconds to complete a load even on a low-user day with a good dedicated server and that shouldn't happen.
          Turn off facebook integration.. we found that that was slowing down VB5 quite a bit. It was more apparent in beta's under #20, but even on 25 now its still slower with FB turned on.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
            vBulletin Support
            • Aug 2002
            • 5.7.X

Before people come on whining about posts being deleted for no reason, they were removed as they were:

- derogatory in nature to staff
            - off topic discussing other forum systems

There are a few who seem to be making a habit of posting and hoping they'll get away with the snide comments but it's being noted. We've resisted giving out infractions to this point but carry on and we will start clamping further down on the forum rules.
            Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
            - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• randomdriver
              • Jul 2010
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ProSportsForums
              It's going to be a while before any site of substance is comfortable with making the transition to vBulletin 5, largely because all of the modifications and template edits done in vB4 either won't work or won't be available for some time. People tend to become attached to their bells and whistles.
              I'm still stuck on vB 3.8.x and never saw an advantage to vB4. I have a big site (10+ million posts) and am looking hard at vB5 and testing now. At this point it looks better than vB4 and vB3 so I figure a reset of my bells and whistles is in order with the other added features I'm getting.

I really just want an improvement to the backend and templates. I think vB3 features work well. Was never a fan of vB4 styling and all the ugly gradients.

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                • Sep 2008

I sincerely hope there are no "BIG BOARDS" running vB5 Connect due to the fact it's still in Beta. I would not advise to upgrade a live 3.x or 4.x site to 5.x until it's released as "Gold" i.e. officially not in beta anymore. Please don't misconstrue my comment as anything negative about vB5 it's simply pure logic not to run a Beta on a live site viewable to the public, test sites only imo.

Former vBulletin Support Staff
                Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
                Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• randomdriver
                  • Jul 2010
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Michael Miller
                  I sincerely hope there are no "BIG BOARDS" running vB5 Connect due to the fact it's still in Beta. I would not advise to upgrade a live 3.x or 4.x site to 5.x until it's released as "Gold" i.e. officially not in beta anymore. Please don't misconstrue my comment as anything negative about vB5 it's simply pure logic not to run a Beta on a live site viewable to the public, test sites only imo.
                  Correct. I am instead running a dev version for my own testing. I like vB5's layout and forum homepage design A LOT more than vB4. Enough so that I'm ready to jump from 3.8 to 5.

Comment

• mickreid
                    • Jan 2011
                    • 4.0.x

If anyone is interested I've got a test beta for my site with almost 4 million posts up here http://www.sportingspy.co.uk/vb5

A lot of functionality does not work yet - for instance when you click on a thread with 60+ posts in it it only shows the first 20 and doesn't have any other pages (page 1 of 1!?) - if you change the filters while browsing the thread the lost posts come back.

I don't mind so much as long as it all works in time - gives me a chance to get my design done and to try replicate some missing custom functionality.

Comment

• Ramsesx
                      • Aug 2005
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by mickreid
                      If anyone is interested I've got a test beta for my site with almost 4 million posts up here http://www.sportingspy.co.uk/vb5

A lot of functionality does not work yet - for instance when you click on a thread with 60+ posts in it it only shows the first 20 and doesn't have any other pages (page 1 of 1!?) - if you change the filters while browsing the thread the lost posts come back.

I don't mind so much as long as it all works in time - gives me a chance to get my design done and to try replicate some missing custom functionality.
                      Thanks, do you have feedback from your members about the demo?

Comment

• mickreid
                        • Jan 2011
                        • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Ramsesx
                        Thanks, do you have feedback from your members about the demo?
                        Only from a few moderators who I've let in on the test. They seem quite positive so far about the test and general usability - the obvious questions about missing functionality has come also.

The most positive aspect I think is the possibility of saving different templates for different forums - since it's a broad sports forum the individual boards tend to be quite tribal, with users wanting different colours and functionality for their own boards - I'm hoping the modular approach to VB5 will make this much easier for me to maintain.

Comment

• Deimos
                          • Oct 2002
                          • 3.8.x

Mick, do you find the site slow by any chance? I'm clicking links to various forums and it's taking ages to load
                          I've clicked "The premier league" and it's been 30 seconds so far and it's still waiting heh

Comment

• mickreid
                            • Jan 2011
                            • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Deimos
                            Mick, do you find the site slow by any chance? I'm clicking links to various forums and it's taking ages to load
                            I've clicked "The premier league" and it's been 30 seconds so far and it's still waiting heh
                            Yes it's very slow. I've disabled Facebook as well (it was throwing errors anyway).

I'm on a dedicated box with Xeon 12 cores and 32gb of ram. My vb4 live site is here http://www.not606.com - this is sharing the same resources as the test (with different database) and it's several times faster despite having a lot more Javascript to load with the likes of adverts, Facebook, Google Analytics etc. At the minute my CPU usage for the entire box is hovering around 1% - so the slowness has to be some sort of database architecture (locking?) issue.

Comment

• Mark.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              • Feb 2004
                              • 6.0.X

Nice looking implementation of vB5 there...looking very promising.

I agree, speed looks to be an issue, but I think it is for most of us. There is still a lot of focus on the speed of vB5, it's one of the big areas being worked on.
                              It has got much faster in recent weeks but there's still work to be done.
                              MARK.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              ------------
                              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Deimos
                                • Oct 2002
                                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by mickreid
                                Yes it's very slow. I've disabled Facebook as well (it was throwing errors anyway).

I'm on a dedicated box with Xeon 12 cores and 32gb of ram. My vb4 live site is here http://www.not606.com - this is sharing the same resources as the test (with different database) and it's several times faster despite having a lot more Javascript to load with the likes of adverts, Facebook, Google Analytics etc. At the minute my CPU usage for the entire box is hovering around 1% - so the slowness has to be some sort of database architecture (locking?) issue.
                                Yea the 4 site is much faster, almost instant for me.

Comment