Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WhiskeyOSS
    • Apr 2010

VB5 Rocks

I must admit I have had some hills to climb over since I purchased vb5 and installed it my miss writing of some html code caused me some grief but it was short lived, a couple of days for the most part, the guys here were quite helpful in helping me solve my issues, yep some misunderstanding always comes along when your going up hill, But as I look at my new web site and I get the compliments and suggestions from our team members and several facebook users who have visited it makes me realise what persistance does for you. I want to thank the vbulletin team for creating such an awesome web forums tool, I look forward to other upgrades and addons to the vb5 family, If you are not sure about it just take time to look at others sites and use of it. yes it still has some bugs but thats to be expected when the Gold version does get released you can bet that the majority of those bugs will have long since been exterminated.
    Thank you again Vbulletin for creating vb5.

sr-gamers
    Last edited by WhiskeyOSS; Tue 8 Jan '13, 5:14pm.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Thanks. The software is getting there. Still some stuff to smooth out though.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Spinball
      • Oct 2001
      • 3.8.x

What is the URL of your installation so I can take a look? Did you migrate from other forum software or is this a new site?
      Stuart Wright, founder AVForums.com. [strike]13[/strike] 15 million posts and counting.
      vBulletin user from 2001. We stopped upgrading vB at 3.8.2 and sadly we're going no further.

Comment

• Deimos
        • Oct 2002
        • 3.8.x

I assume it's that strange black/grey one - http://www.sr-gamers.com/

"An internal error has occurred and the widget cannot be displayed."

Comment

• Spinball
          • Oct 2001
          • 3.8.x

Urgh. Wouldn't boast about that site.
          Stuart Wright, founder AVForums.com. [strike]13[/strike] 15 million posts and counting.
          vBulletin user from 2001. We stopped upgrading vB at 3.8.2 and sadly we're going no further.

Comment

• steven s
            • Jul 2004
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Spinball
            Hurts my eyes.
            ...steven
            www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
            bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
            "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• soniceffect
              • Feb 2005
              • 4.2.X

Skin certainly needs some work. However I would say for a site like his I can understand why he likes VB5. Creating just that main page is simple in vb5 and not simple at all in vb4 due to the sitebuilder and modules.
              Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• audiokid
                • Apr 2009
                • 4.1.x

No disrespect intended, but what a disappointment followed by completely understanding why you are raving about it. I'm guessing you haven't been doing this very long. I couldn't take more than 5 sec looking at that mess and eye distortion. Its plain ugly
                Cheers!

RECORDING ORG
                created for musicians, by musicians

Comment

• soniceffect
                  • Feb 2005
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by audiokid
                  No disrespect intended, but what a disappointment followed by completely understanding why you are raving about it. I'm guessing you haven't been doing this very long. I couldn't take more than 5 sec looking at that mess and eye distortion. Its plain ugly
                  The look of the skin he has designed doesn't really have any baring whatsoever on whether he finds the software useful to him. I too think his skin needs a lot of work, however looking at how he has used the modules for his own purposed on his site in order to get the content he personally needs on his site I would say he is getting there. Not everyone has a visual eye for colour and design, I have to admit I don't myself however I tend to gather people around me who do in order to meet my goals. Supprised to be honest that you havent had a go at a customised skin on your own site, I can only guess you havent been doing this very long as its pretty bland.

Just to point out, the comment above is obviously being sarcastic by me. Just trying to put across that just because he hasnt got his skin right yet doesnt make him some amateur. Dont get me wrong he may well be, however he is raving about the software and just because his skin is not up to scratch doesnt mean the software isnt good.

Ironically however, I may well join your forum tomorrow so glad you replied LOL
                  Last edited by soniceffect; Sun 23 Dec '12, 4:29pm.
                  Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• audiokid
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 4.1.x

Originally posted by soniceffect
                    The look of the skin he has designed doesn't really have any baring whatsoever on whether he finds the software useful to him. I too think his skin needs a lot of work, however looking at how he has used the modules for his own purposed on his site in order to get the content he personally needs on his site I would say he is getting there. Not everyone has a visual eye for colour and design, I have to admit I don't myself however I tend to gather people around me who do in order to meet my goals. Supprised to be honest that you havent had a go at a customised skin on your own site, I can only guess you havent been doing this very long as its pretty bland.

Just to point out, the comment above is obviously being sarcastic by me. Just trying to put across that just because he hasnt got his skin right yet doesnt make him some amateur. Dont get me wrong he may well be, however he is raving about the software and just because his skin is not up to scratch doesnt mean the software isnt good.
                    Point taken. However, if vb4 was stable enough in other mods or where it is surely headed, I may invest the time into a skin that is a bit more blah or unique for reading lol. Tech communities interested in content aren't interested in skins like they would be with a gaming forum. A skin with fancy colours is an enemy. Blue and white is by far the best. This is my 14 year at this. KISS is what builds busy sites from my POV. Which may be where VB5 is headed, dunno.
                    Looking at the one in discussion however, the fonts look whacked and the layout is far from right, IMHO of course And why I took the time to look at "what Rocks" and comment on it after. I would bet money, the OP has not been doing this very long. Long enough to know using a beta version is not too bright either.

Not trying to be rude. I'm only being serious which no doubt is not for the sensitive kind.

Cheers!
                    Last edited by audiokid; Sun 23 Dec '12, 4:46pm.
                    Cheers!

RECORDING ORG

Comment

• WhiskeyOSS
                      • Apr 2010

Click image for larger version

Name:	Style.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	3690925

I challenge you two to make a better looking style and dont just run your mouth put it up for all to see...
                      this was our 3rd attempt so some or all of you saw our test styles.. we never once boasted so get on with it lets see what you have
                      and with vb5 thank you very much...

- - - Updated - - -

What is the URL of your installation so I can take a look? Did you migrate from other forum software or is this a new site?
                      the url is at the bottom of my post sr-gamers.com we migrated from vb4 to vb5

Comment

• audiokid
                        • Apr 2009
                        • 4.1.x

Sorry WhiskeyOSS, I have no interest in styles, I'm mainly interested in stability, security and functions. Blue and white is all I want for flare. I'm not doing this to impress anyone either. Its all about reading and learning without distraction for us. I'm not trying to insult you, I'm trying to let vb know what I'm looking for ( if they care) and at the same time, if you care or not, I don't. Your example doesn't work for me. Its ugly and hard to stay focused on, and I'm not alone. If you don't like the opinion's, who cares right. I mean, what does this have to do with you and your direction or success. You are really happy and what we say means nothing right? A negative opinion is pointless or is it?

I hope VB5 gets better than your example and if there are styles to choose from, they are better than your example. Plain and simple. You posted it, take it or leave it. This is business, not pleasure or games to me at all. This is business.

Cheers!
                        Last edited by audiokid; Sun 23 Dec '12, 7:03pm.
                        Cheers!

RECORDING ORG

Comment

• WhiskeyOSS
                          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Deimos
                          I assume it's that strange black/grey one - http://www.sr-gamers.com/

"An internal error has occurred and the widget cannot be displayed."
                          The widget is the who is online widget thats one for the professionals it does not work properly unless a person is logged in.
                          you say strange we say we like it that way.. to each his own do you think..

- - - Updated - - -

I believe in Vbulletin I do not like the errors any more than anyone else but this is a beta and beta's have issues when the gold comes out is when the real judging can begin.
                          untill then its just a bunch of empty words that have little to no meaning..
                          VBulletin Rocks.. its my opinion.

Comment

• audiokid
                            • Apr 2009
                            • 4.1.x

VB4 rocks compared, VB5 is beta and welcome opinions so we can improve it for everyone. Take a breath.
                            Cheers!

RECORDING ORG

Comment

• WhiskeyOSS
                              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by audiokid
                              VB4 rocks compared, VB5 is beta and welcome opinions so we can improve it for everyone. Take a breath.
                              areed for the time being

Comment