Upgrade to VB 5 requires unconditional password resets?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • busa-captain
    • Jan 2008

Upgrade to VB 5 requires unconditional password resets?

If this is truly the case then I am done with Vbulletin.... Why would you require every user to go through a password reset, I have 39,000 members on my forum and this requirement is unbelievable... Why would VB make such a change?

Tell me there is a work around........
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Where did you see that?

That is not the case.

Comment

• busa-captain
      • Jan 2008

Well, the upgrade completed on our sandbox and logins dont work and right on the front landing page you get a notice... Am I missing something?

If you are a current member, we've done quite a bit since you've last visited!You will need to Click Here to reset your password before you can login

Click image for larger version

Name:	vb.png
Views:	1
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	3690867

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

That is not a default notice. That is a custom notice that you, or one of your admins added at some point or another.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
          vBulletin Support
          • Aug 2002
          • 5.7.X

Did you previously use Impex to move to vBulletin from another software provider? If so, did you add that notice then as Impex requires password resets - upgrading vBulletin versions doesn't
          Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• busa-captain
            • Jan 2008

In 2008 we did use Impex to import from Ikonboard to VB... If I had a forum that has been operational and upgraded from VB 3.x all the way to 4.X current then why all the sudded using the same upgrade methods we have in the past would this ugly error message come up? Regardless of when it was put there it appears that there is a problem that requires folks to reset passwords.. This is not good news, I will move off of VB before I ask users to reset passwords because I used Impex almost 5 years ago....

Comment

• LockedOnLaw
              • Apr 2010
              • 6.X

IF your users are being required to reset their passwords it indicates someone or something corrupted your database table. Nothing in vBulletin5 necessitates resetting of user passwords.

Do you have a database backup from before the alleged password issue and a test forum?

Comment

• soniceffect
                • Feb 2005
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by busa-captain
                In 2008 we did use Impex to import from Ikonboard to VB... If I had a forum that has been operational and upgraded from VB 3.x all the way to 4.X current then why all the sudded using the same upgrade methods we have in the past would this ugly error message come up? Regardless of when it was put there it appears that there is a problem that requires folks to reset passwords.. This is not good news, I will move off of VB before I ask users to reset passwords because I used Impex almost 5 years ago....
                Question - Since you have done the upgrade. Have you actually tried to log in with an existing password? If so, does it work? (which it will). As previously specified by some of the staff, you do not need to reset your password on a vbulletin upgrade.

As for why the message has suddenly started appearing. It may be that it was previously marked as dismissed in the notifications and for whatever reason it is now not. But the point is that the messase is nothing more than a notification that is already in your vb4 install let alone your vb5 one. Have a look under notifications on your vb4 install and I think you will find it is there.

Again, your users will not have to reset their passwords on upgrade. You keep stating "this is bad I will move off VB" when in fact the reason that message is there is because at some point someone has actually added it on your vb3/4 and it is now for some reason being displayed. It is not an informational message of something that has actually happened, its an old message in your database which is actually incorrect information.
                Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• busa-captain
                  • Jan 2008

Do you have a database backup from before the alleged password issue and a test forum?
                  Absolutely, daily, weekly and monthly backups, were covered... It's not about a loss of data this is more about a unmanageable solution.

If so, does it work? (which it will).
                  Passwords do not work, I have many accounts none work..... No errors on the upgrade but the password reset page now shows up...

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

I absolutely promise, that is not a default message. AdminCP > Notices > Notice Manager

When you try to login, what error do you get, if any that indicates that the wrong password is being used?

Comment

• Paul M
                      Former Lead Developer
                      vB.Com & vB.Org
                      • Sep 2004

This is not good news, I will move off of VB before I ask users to reset passwords because I used Impex almost 5 years ago....
                      How would that make any sense ?
                      If you moved to another product then everyone would need to reset their password anyway, so a ton of exttra work migrating, for no gain.

As noted above, the notice you highlighted is a custom notice added by you or another admin, vBulletin has no such notice in it.
                      Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• soniceffect
                        • Feb 2005
                        • 4.2.X

Passwords do not work, I have many accounts none work..... No errors on the upgrade but the password reset page now shows up...
                        If that is the case then either there is an issue with your database or there is a bug in vb5 somewhere and I would report it. However the fact remains vb5 is not built for unconditional password reset as you have stated, and also that message simply has not come from vb5. If you have a look on the vb4 install it will be there too.
                        Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

I'd just delete the notice and move on.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• busa-captain
                            • Jan 2008

Its hard to just move on, my point is that I can't login now... We are going to run this upgrade on our dev server again.. We moved from IKB in 2008 and used Impex, got it.. But since then we have upgraded on every patch, every release and never experienced this problem. We upgraded to VB4 when it was first released as BETA and still no problems... Why this problem has reaised its ugly head I don't know. Will let you know what we find on the dev box this weekend.

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

Beta versions have problems, but this is the first report of this. I suspect you have a cookie issue, unless you're explicitly being told you entered the wrong password. There is also a tiny chance you have aUTF8 bom somewhere making your site act weirdly.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...