Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alfa1
    • Dec 2005
    • 3.8.x

If you are going to compare vb5, then it would be useful to compare to phpfox as well, as PHPFox looks very similar to what vb5 seems to be aiming for. Except that PHPFox actually looks as polished as I would wish vbulletin would be.
    I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Deimos
      • Oct 2002
      • 3.8.x

If VB is aiming for something like PHPFox, then they've fallen short in a big way
      I've tested both and VB5 is inferior compared to PHPFox, and before someone says "But VB5 is beta!", it may well be, but at this late stage in the development, it's more like an alpha/proof of concept than anything and has a long way to go, before it should be released...if at all at this rate.

Comment

• CallieJo
        • Dec 2004
        • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Alfa1
        If you are going to compare vb5, then it would be useful to compare to phpfox as well, as PHPFox looks very similar to what vb5 seems to be aiming for. Except that PHPFox actually looks as polished as I would wish vbulletin would be.
        I agree. You are correct that VB5 seems to be aiming for similar community setups. So, let's expand the questions.

What are the biggest differences in the following (not counting the obvious costs, developers, unofficial addons, & technology used):

PHPFox vs VB5? What features does VB5 have that PHPFox lacks? What features does PHPFox have that VB5 lacks?

SocialEngine vs VB5? What features does VB5 have that SocialEngine lacks? What features does SocialEngine have that VB5 lacks?

JomSocial (with Joomla) vs VB5? What features does VB5 have that JomSocial lacks? What features does JomSocial have that VB5 lacks?

BuddyPress (with BBPress & WP) vs VB5? What features does VB5 have that BuddyPress lacks? What features does BuddyPress have that VB5 lacks?

VB3.8 vs VB5? What features does VB5 have that VB3.8 lacks? What features does VB3.8 have that VB5 lacks? IMHO, VB3.8 has the best features of any VB version to date. If only we could have enhanced those features for end users as suggested over the years in the suggestion forum. Some would argue otherwise or point to VB4.x.

VB4.x vs VB5? What features does VB5 have that VB4.x lacks? What features does VB4.x have that VB5 lacks?

IPB3.4 (plus official addons) vs VB5? What features does VB5 have that IPB3.4 lacks? What features does IPB3.4 have that VB5 lacks?

XF vs VB5? What features does VB5 have that XF lacks? What features does XF have that VB5 lacks?

Woltlab BB (plus official addons) vs VB5? What features does VB5 have that Woltlab lacks? What features does Woltlab have that VB5 lacks?

All the free & hosted forum community scripts vs VB5? What features does VB5 have that the free & hosted forum community scripts lack? What features does the free & hosted forum community scripts have that VB5 lacks?

I guess I'm looking for reasons to be impressed and/or reasons why I'm not so impressed. The BETA excuse means nothing to me, so please don't throw that one. Beta, in short, normally means feature locked and ready for mass testing before becoming stable...IMHO.

Thank you and have a splendid week*
        Last edited by CallieJo; Thu 6 Dec '12, 3:02pm.
        Archive: 1 ~ 2 ETC in the feedback forums that were closed.

Comment

• Acerath
          • Aug 2005
          • 4.2.X

Agree, installed, loaded, tested, failed and unpresentable. At least the wordpress+buddypress will have me focusing on running the site than taking care of 100s of checkboxes and figuring how to get a simple thing done.

imho it seemed to be an improved wrapper over the old engine in the back.

Comment

• stevectaylor
            • Aug 2007
            • 3.6.x

Has anyone knowledge of how the site fears with server processor resource and impact of changing over with have with search engines?
            Holiday Forum
            Motor Car Forum
            Political Forum
            Web Hosting Forum

Comment

• Alfa1
              • Dec 2005
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by stevectaylor
              Has anyone knowledge of how the site fears with server processor resource and impact of changing over with have with search engines?
              Its hard to say anything about resources but as it is atm, it doesn't look scalable. That may change in the future.
              All urls are changed, so it remains to be seen if search engines will successfully reindex pages. Since all urls change, you would likely loose inbound link juice.
              I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

Its hard to say anything about resources but as it is atm, it doesn't look scalable. That may change in the future.
                We're doing heavy siege testing of the system and it holds up well. Though improvements are still being made. Changes were made to accommodate millions of posts in a single forum channel. For example as a result of the Siege testing, one query that took 2.7 seconds with millions of posts in a forum channel was changed and now takes 0.07 seconds. More changes are underway.

All urls are changed, so it remains to be seen if search engines will successfully reindex pages. Since all urls change, you would likely loose inbound link juice.
                If you use vBulletin's linking system and not an addon link vBSEO, your inbound links will continue to work and be redirected to the new URLs.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• CallieJo
                  • Dec 2004
                  • 4.0.x

Originally posted by s.molinari
                  @CallieJoe - I don't think the completely right thing to ask is what features are lacking. Although, lacking features is an important issue for a comparison. But the better question is, what is better in vB5 than the rest? vB could have some lacking features and still have some special new stuff that makes it stand out and the good of those few "new things" could outweigh any lacking features. Unfortunately, that just isn't the case.

Scott
                  You are correct, Scott. I was indeed looking for someone to point out what is infact better in VB5 than the rest and what those better things are since I'm not able to see them myself. I'd like nothing more than to love VB again. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening atm. I guess my expectations of what VB5 was going to be were too high.

Originally posted by Acerath
                  Agree, installed, loaded, tested, failed and unpresentable. At least the wordpress+buddypress will have me focusing on running the site than taking care of 100s of checkboxes and figuring how to get a simple thing done.

imho it seemed to be an improved wrapper over the old engine in the back.
                  WP & BP are a nice setup together and easier on an admin. I wish you much success.
                  Archive: 1 ~ 2 ETC in the feedback forums that were closed.

Comment

• Alfa1
                    • Dec 2005
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                    If you use vBulletin's linking system and not an addon link vBSEO, your inbound links will continue to work and be redirected to the new URLs.
                    Those redirects need to be 301 redirects and will need to be kept active forever. And even then it remains to be seen if the link juice will be the same after the conversion.
                    I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                      • Aug 2000

Those redirects need to be 301 redirects and will need to be kept active forever. And even then it remains to be seen if the link juice will be the same after the conversion.
                      They are supposed to be 301 Redirects and the Routes will be kept unless the user deletes them directly from the database.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• soniceffect
                        • Feb 2005
                        • 4.2.X

Can honestly say this is one thing I am quite supprised with. On VB4 the difference in performance between a forum with 10 posts and one with a few 100k posts is quite different. However on vb5 this doesnt seem to be the case. I know the upgrades on my site seem to show marginal difference between an empty forum and one with 750k posts in it. Dont get me wrong its still not fast enough for my liking (although a million times better than it has been), but it is showing promise bit by bit.

I'm kinda of the opinion that as long as it seems to be moving forward I will move mine over eventually and if it continues at current rate I cant see eventually being a long way off either. Doesnt seem like it at the moment granted, but the simple math says that with so many bug fixes per beta release the count is coming down fast. Still got a few of my bugbares to fix yet mind :P LOL
                        Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• stevectaylor
                          • Aug 2007
                          • 3.6.x

I must admit to now becoming around to thinking about upgrading our largest forum only for the moment but might hold off to see if another discount code is available until Gold.
                          Holiday Forum
                          Motor Car Forum
                          Political Forum
                          Web Hosting Forum

Comment

• George L
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • May 2000
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                            We're doing heavy siege testing of the system and it holds up well. Though improvements are still being made. Changes were made to accommodate millions of posts in a single forum channel. For example as a result of the Siege testing, one query that took 2.7 seconds with millions of posts in a forum channel was changed and now takes 0.07 seconds. More changes are underway.
                            Actually, query dropped from 7.5 seconds to 0.0067 - definitely more improvements on the way
                            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• hornstar6969
                              • Aug 2005
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by George L
                              Actually, query dropped from 7.5 seconds to 0.0067 - definitely more improvements on the way
                              Brilliant. Lets hope they do.
                              Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

Comment

• sandrose
                                • Feb 2001
                                • 5.0.X

The most important for users is the attractive style. I hope you will consider it in the new release.

Regards,
                                http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/filed...ledataid=63608

Comment