X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brad Padgett
    • Jul 2014
    • 5.1.x

Newest vBulletin 5.1.4 good for modifications

Just wanted to say that I have noticed this latest release vbulletin 5.1.4 is very good for mods. I faced no issue for 3 mods over on vbulletin.org at the same time and one of them was a chatbox.

I have been testing the site out for the past hour and everything seems to be running smoothly for now. I'll wait and see if this stands.

But from what I'm seeing you guys have made one of the stablest releases thus far. Congratulations.
    "Do not go where the path may lead, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Brad Padgett
    • Jul 2014
    • 5.1.x

Okay I have now installed 5 mods and they are all working great on 5.1.4
    "Do not go where the path may lead, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• ozzy47
      • Oct 2009

You now what's sad about that, is that you have installed a 10th of the mods available for vB5. If you were to do that on vB4 you would have to install 193 mods.
      My Mods also available at OzzModz.com

New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders!
      Stop Spam Now The era of Big Spam is over.

Vote to bring back hooks in vB5, http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-10333

Comment

• napy8gen
        • Jul 2001
        • 6.X

Originally posted by TheXboxCloud
        Okay I have now installed 5 mods and they are all working great on 5.1.4
        Good to hear you are loving your vb5 forum
        Get Our vbulletin 6 themes

Comment

• anwar513
          • Sep 2010
          • 5.2.x

Your vb5 forum address? Look mods effect

Comment

• Brad Padgett
            • Jul 2014
            • 5.1.x

Originally posted by anwar513
            Your vb5 forum address? Look mods effect
            Gaming Latest is a video game forum for PlayStation 5 (PS5), Xbox Series X/S, Nintendo, Android, iOS and PC gaming discussions. Find news and talk about games.

It's going good. The chatbox is working and the other 4 mods have also given no issue.

Thanks for the comments guys. Means a lot.

Comment

• dondino
              • Mar 2010

Considering that you are a new member in this community (only since this past July),
              I suppose that you haven't tried much else rather than your vbulletin 5 license and a couple of versions since then......
              That explains your excitement about it and we are happy to see it!

BUT.... if you were using for example vB 4... then you would feel like reaching for the stars and also your forum would look waaaaay better imho
              Last edited by dondino; Mon 1 Dec '14, 6:27am.

Comment

• geovadim
                • May 2003
                • 3.7.x

In 5.1.5 there can be added mods and hooks? For example, in vb 3.7 was a advertising plugin which displays advertising inside the first post in each thread. Is that possible also in 5.1.5?

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

There are no plans for hooks at this time.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------
                  My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                  My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• geovadim
                    • May 2003
                    • 3.7.x

So I can't use advertising inside the forum. This is very interesting.

If I knew that there are no hooks I wouldn't have bought it.

And you advertise the mobile bundle causing a confusion, because the mobile bundle is not the mobile style, but a developer app. I am not the only one who paid for the mobile bundle being tricked.

And, even though I am not using the mobile bundle, your Support does not want to exchange it for a installation, which has the same price. In a world where you can always return products in a reasonable interval of time, here on vbulletin you buy and you can't return anything. It is a very interesting approach to the clients.

Comment

• mangoz
                      • Jan 2015
                      • 5.1.x

I'm finally going to weight in on this thread since it keeps popping up.

VB5 is a pain for modifications, period. Without a proper hook system, it always will be. The competition is revamping with this as the main goal (create a robust 3rd party support). The weight of development and pace of product needs could be totally off loaded if anyone with vision was running the ship.

The OP seems like a nice enough kid, but his incesant (spelled wrong and I know this because windows tells me so, but I can't right click and spell check because vbulletin can't figure out how to use ckeditor) fanboying of the product is silly.

Vbulletin is too silent on direction and expectations. Vbulletin documentation is subpar several years on. There is no hooks system and no plans for one. Vbulletin 5 has no aspects that make it attractive to mod developers over the competition. I'm unhappy with this because basic functionality doesn't work. I get it. The company (IB) does not prioritize this product development. The staff appears to be a skeleton crew with no corporate backing. But at least if someone with a long game was in charge, they would spend the man power to open the door to mods so they could engage all the dev community that could pacify the myriad of customer complaints/wants.
                      The reputation bar is hard coded. This is bad design.
                      http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-14349
                      Facebook 2 step registration doesn't work
                      http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-9490
                      Vbulletin android app does not work with VB5 and has no roadmap -- don't buy it! Demand better.
                      http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/...Aroadmap-panel

Comment

• geovadim
                        • May 2003
                        • 3.7.x

The Site Builder (edit page) is a big step forward.

Comment

• Brad Padgett
                          • Jul 2014
                          • 5.1.x

Originally posted by mangoz
                          I'm finally going to weight in on this thread since it keeps popping up.

VB5 is a pain for modifications, period. Without a proper hook system, it always will be. The competition is revamping with this as the main goal (create a robust 3rd party support). The weight of development and pace of product needs could be totally off loaded if anyone with vision was running the ship.

The OP seems like a nice enough kid, but his incesant (spelled wrong and I know this because windows tells me so, but I can't right click and spell check because vbulletin can't figure out how to use ckeditor) fanboying of the product is silly.

Vbulletin is too silent on direction and expectations. Vbulletin documentation is subpar several years on. There is no hooks system and no plans for one. Vbulletin 5 has no aspects that make it attractive to mod developers over the competition. I'm unhappy with this because basic functionality doesn't work. I get it. The company (IB) does not prioritize this product development. The staff appears to be a skeleton crew with no corporate backing. But at least if someone with a long game was in charge, they would spend the man power to open the door to mods so they could engage all the dev community that could pacify the myriad of customer complaints/wants.
                          I think you mean persistent. And I have not outweighed the product any more or less than what it is in my forum posts.

I appreciate a well made product like I should if you want to know the honest truth. Doesn't mean I don't outweigh the differences it's ability to perform. However, the product is worth the money. If you were expecting everything to run perfectly you should have paid custom coders $40,000 each to make their own product and then have to buy it from them afterwords.

A product is made by hard work, a team effort, and a goal. Vbulletin Solutions has not yet met their goal, this much I agree with you. But their goal will be met as the customers continue to make support threads, and most importantly reports in JIRA.

Just look at the competition. Xenforo is the only software anyone could switch to because ipb is terrible. And Xenforo doesn't have as much to offer as their competitor vbulletin. Not in the same way.

I took a look at ipb and it was a drag in my opinion. One of these days someone is going to make a new forum software that outweighs all of our wishes but until then we will run our websites on quality software, that being vbulletin.

By the way, I took the mods down for now on my site but I want you to know that all of them worked from dragonbyte perfectly. A hook system I am definitely wanting to see, badly. But mods can still be made for vb5.

Comment

• rudedog1968
                            • Feb 2004
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by TheXboxCloud
                            If you were expecting everything to run perfectly you should have paid custom coders $40,000 each to make their own product and then have to buy it from them afterwords.
                            What ?!?!?!?! Why would you pay a custom coder directly to only pay for said work you already paid for?

Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment

• Maltair
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by geovadim
                              So I can't use advertising inside the forum. This is very interesting.

On vb 5.1.6 Ad Sense ads may be placed in Ad Locations. Enable Site Builder and click the Header option. Near the very top you may choose to have one ad or two ads and then you may click to Edit the HTML for the module- paste in the ad code Google gives you. For other locations besides the header click Edit Page in site builder: You may either drag a new ad module where you want it or on some special modules such as the Conversation Detail module on a thread viewing page there are special ad locations you may access by bringing the mouse to the pencil icon and a menu will come up allowing you to choose special ad locations such as first and last post.

On my vb5 forum, I have a banner ad across the top, a smaller one near the bottom (appearing on the main forum page only), and a small square one appearing on every first post of every thread. This way no more than two ads appear per any given page, but always at least two.

Comment