Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deimos
    • Oct 2002
    • 3.8.x

Taking it a bit personal don't you think? I was just curious is all. Jeesh.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Deimos
      Taking it a bit personal don't you think? I was just curious is all. Jeesh.
      Figured it was another one of your constant attacks on staff.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Deimos
        • Oct 2002
        • 3.8.x

If you say so.

Comment

• Grotesque
          • Dec 2012
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          While not really on topic, I'll answer your questions.

phpMyAdmin is an interface to MySQL that runs as a web application. You're still using MySQL behind the scenes. If you have a VPS or Dedicated server, we have a Server Configuration forum below where you can get help with optimization. If you're on a shared server, your options are more limited.

mysqli is a PHP class for accessing MySQL databases. The i stands for internal. In older versions of PHP, they used a mysql class which relied on libraries supplied by the MySQL server. With mysqli, everything is internal to PHP and can be optimized better. Generally you'll get a bit of a speed boost but it doesn't work any differently than mysql otherwise. PHP also offers the mysqlnd and pdo_mysql classes for accessing database. However we do not use these at this time.

There is nothing to do with mysqli in the database directly. You would specify this in your /core/includes/config.php file so vBulletin uses it.

Collation refers to how things are sorted. As long as your database, tables and fields all have the same collation, you should be able to choose which ever one you want. It isn't recommended to change it though. I believe that utf8_general_ci is the default collation in MySQL 5.5. This should work without issue. However if you have a non-latin language and there are special sorting rules then you would want to choose a collation that works with that language.
          Thanks for the insight Wayne, seems I did it all right afteral then I'll make sure to check in with my host if I have access to a VPN or dedicated server. You've been a great help man!

Comment

• lostincable
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            I don't know what to say. I don't experience the issues you describe. I don't know why the demo site has the initial page load issues that it has. I have no control over the servers and am not knowledgeable enough to recommend changes. I never have white pages. There have been over 100 changes to make the pages load quicker. They are much smaller than they were originally and almost as responsive as vBulletin 4.2.0 using a backup of this exact site and using this site as the baseline. Performance is important and we'll continue to improve it. Currently the system scores in the 90s with GTMetrix so there are still improvements that need to be made. Granted we're not using all the performance feature such as offloading static content to CDN, storing templates as files and other tools. However vBulletin 5 relies heavily on caching and large sites will have to use memcache. There is no way around it as I suspect the API driven REST interface people have asked for over the years causes an additional layer. That is to say the Presentation Layer doesn't actually have direct access like the heavy procedural code in vBulletin 3 and 4.

I wouldn't consider 5.0.0 as the final say in performance. It is something we'll continue to work on. If vBulletin 4 continues to work for you then use it until you're ready to upgrade. We've never forced anyone to upgrade to a version that didn't work for them. I will say that if you don't have vBulletin 5 installed on your server, you can't see the full performance of it, tweak the caching to fit your needs or take advantage of all the performance features. Plus the Demo site is currently 3 versions behind what is being tested.

Thanks Wayne for the explanation, for me browsing through this board there is zero wait time everthing I click on its fast and loads semlessly.

When I am browsing the demo site its slow, everything I do takes a few seconds to respond and it becomes overly frustrating where I find myself flipping between tabs.

I have tried Beta 28 and its a bit of an improvement but still a bit slow, that said I have been having a red hot go at the site builder demo and fiddling around I am very impressed with the features. So much so I will stick with it and hope that running it on my own server with memcache etc will improve speed etc.

When will the site builder site be update to beta 28???

Thanks again for getting back....

Comment

• lostincable
              • Mar 2009

Glad to see the site has been update big thumbs up!!!

Couple of questions I don't want to sound like a broken record !!!

What is left in terms of bugs / speed enhancements to the product and when can we expect them as in will it be before Gold or is this version now Gold or is it RC?

I guess more than anything just wondering what the overall plan to get it running as quick as VB4 is?

Honestly its not that slow firebug is averaging 5 - 7 seconds a page load compared to 2 - 3 seconds a page load on VB4 so its not much of a difference but just trying to understand if there is anything and when we could expect it to come in to increase the speed to compare to VB4?

Again big thumbs up its good to see it now on your boards and its making it a comfortable decision to purchase a new license.

As with any change I think some people are hesitant to adapt it but we will get there!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

Obviously performance is still something we're working on. The best place to keep abreast of what is being done and what is still to be done is JIRA.

I've created a Filter for this here: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/...equestId=11566

It includes all issues related to performance whether they have been resolved or not. If you want just unresolved issues, edit it and save it as a new filter on your account.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• lostincable
                  • Mar 2009

Thanks Wayne very handy!!!!

One day I will learn to use Jira...

Comment