X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lostincable
    • Mar 2009

Speed Still An Issue What Is VB's View

SO we are at beta 18.....

The beta site is looking good and I would be converted from my past misconceptions but and its a big but.

We are know at Beta 18 and the site still seems to be EXTREMELY slow, so slow I have to load things and keep browsing other sites while it loads.

Can the VB mods / admins explain to the group explain how far we are from a full resolution to the core speed issues that is causing the demo site to run so slowly.

I keep getting emails telling me 100 bugs have been resolved but to me the core focus should be getting it running fast and then normally, then clean up functinality.

I would like to here an official stand point from VB on the speed issues specifically and I am sure many others would to.

Cheers!
  • hornstar6969
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.8.x

Yeah it is no where near the speed it needs to be. Still got a long way to go. Especially cause it is a default install. Once I install a heavier skin and several mods, it will be worse. However in saying that...each release is getting better. There has been the blog by Kevin with the speed improvents that will occur during beta and many are still to come. There is jira where you can see they are working on making the CSS file smaller currently and many others. I'd love to hear another update and/or in the beta 19, 20, 21 etc email/announcement have a section devoted to explaining the improvents made in that update in regards to speed improvements.
    Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

Comment

• soniceffect
      • Feb 2005
      • 4.2.X

Also the demo on this site is not representative of how it actually runs when i install it even with 750k posts so really that could do with addressing
      Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
        vBulletin Support
        • Aug 2002
        • 5.7.X

There are further performance improvements on the way.
        Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Deimos
          • Oct 2002
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by lostincable
          Speed Still An Issue What Is VB's View?
          "vBulletin 5 Connect, The World's Leading Community Software"

"vBulletin 5 Connect makes significant advances in the capabilities of online community websites, and is clearly the premier platform on which to build such sites"

Comment

• soniceffect
            • Feb 2005
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Deimos
            "vBulletin 5 Connect, The World's Leading Community Software"

"vBulletin 5 Connect makes significant advances in the capabilities of online community websites, and is clearly the premier platform on which to build such sites"

Very clever, well done. Somebody buy the guy a drink.

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

The software remains in beta, there are at least two further betas being worked on beyond the current public beta (18).

Don't think anyone believes the speed is fine. It is however much much MUCH better than it was several betas ago, and generally gets better with each one.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------
              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• oldz442
                • Apr 2012

When it loads as fast as xF (well at least xF loads much faster here) and it works 'ok' all around with JS disabled (there was an bad 'flaw' earlier) then I will consider v5.
                ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• soniceffect
                  • Feb 2005
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by oldz442
                  When it loads as fast as xF (well at least xF loads much faster here) and it works 'ok' all around with JS disabled (there was an bad 'flaw' earlier) then I will consider v5.
                  If xF did as much as vb I would have probably still been using it... But hey ho, pros and cons ay. End of the day its beta software, bare with it

Comment

• lostincable
                    • Mar 2009

Appreciate its Beta software but in this day and age where 100mbit internet connections are becoming the norm VB should as a priority address the speed issues.

For me this is 1000000000000000000000000000% more pivotal than any feature they can implement.

I personally am enjoying the software after some initial angst and nearly at a point where I will purchse a licence and accept the bugs as it is in beta but I do not accept the speed it is running at and this is concerns me a great deal as VB just does not seem to have a clear direction on the speed issue of the beta site.

I see Trevor has mentioned that perfomance improvements are on the way but when will the overarching Beta run at an acceptable speed and what is the developments team view on getting it to this point?

I think considering we have been asked to test and report bugs and official response from VB is over due now considering the amount of beta that have been released and its not completely fixed yet?

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

Performance across the board is something we're concerned about and making progress to. You guys are always about 2 weeks behind in the what we're currently working on.

We made some pretty big improvements in a few key areas recently.

Comment

• Mark.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by lostincable
                        Appreciate its Beta software but in this day and age where 100mbit internet connections are becoming the norm VB should as a priority address the speed issues.
                        I can vouch for the fact that they are doing just that.
                        MARK.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        ------------
                        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• lostincable
                          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Zachery
                          Performance across the board is something we're concerned about and making progress to. You guys are always about 2 weeks behind in the what we're currently working on.

We made some pretty big improvements in a few key areas recently.
                          Thanks for the quick response Zachery do you care to elaborate?

Is this something we are yet to see in a Beta release and if so when can we expect it to become public on the beta?

Is it resolved 100%?

I personally think given the significance of the speed issue we need some sort of road map of where we are heading with the speed issues as this seems to be the key issue.

I think we all accept that betas have bugs with features etc but the speed issue needs an address of its own so the community is up to date as t where this is at in terms of a complete fix or at least to where VB says that is all they are going to be able to with it.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                            • Aug 2000

It is a little slow on the beta demo' Home Page still.

Cached: 41 requests ❘ 44.40KB transferred ❘ 3.25s (onload: 2.18s, DOMContentLoaded: 1.91s)

Uncached: 41 requests ❘ 1.01MB transferred ❘ 4.00s (onload: 2.89s, DOMContentLoaded: 2.60s)
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

It is not 100% resolved, but the example I am talking about is that we made some fairly significant progress with a specific slow query in the api that was taking 7~ seconds to run on a million post forum. We've reduced the query time to .0064 seconds on average now.

Right now our top priority is performance. The staff who do the testing and development are all working hard to make sure the product is in a shape we can call gold.

Comment