Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • waldvb
    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by s.molinari
    @soniceffect - Please read what a web content management system should be.

The proposed CMS in vB5 is not a CMS. It's an article content type. vB5 is (or should be) a WCMS of and in itself. The core of vB5 should BE a CMS. And I believe that is actually the most important design issue we are all facing.

Scott
    Agree. They should think globally. VB should be CMS with forums, blogs, articles, etc. Not just a forum as a core + kind of CMS and Blogs. This is road to nowhere.
    www.wood-furniture.biz/forums/

Comment

• Alfa1
      • Dec 2005
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      We know improvement must be made on blogs. At one point we didn't even know if they would be included in the 5.0 release. With that in mind, we may or may not have time update the UI.
      Do you mean that there is a set time limit on the release of vb5 Gold, which is not dependent upon the state of the product?

Frankly speaking vb5 does not have a blog. Putting the 4 letters 'blog' on something does not make it a blog. Its just forum with the word 'blog' on it.
      I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Deimos
        • Oct 2002
        • 3.8.x

When I look at PhpFox, it amazes me how basic VB5 is - http://www.phpfox.com/features/

I know phpfox is primarily a social networking script, but even that software has a half decent forum system built in by default.

VB5 "seems" to be trying to go along the social networking route, but like the "CMS" and blog system, they seem to fail majorly in reinventing the wheel each and every time.

Comment

• waldvb
          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Deimos
          When I look at PhpFox, it amazes me how basic VB5 is - http://www.phpfox.com/features/

I know phpfox is primarily a social networking script, but even that software has a half decent forum system built in by default.

VB5 "seems" to be trying to go along the social networking route, but like the "CMS" and blog system, they seem to fail majorly in reinventing the wheel each and every time.
          Wow. This is amazing platform. Great video and photo libraries. And more. Now I can see how poor and bad is VB. Unfortunately I own 2 licenses of VB

Comment

• soniceffect
            • Feb 2005
            • 4.2.X

@soniceffect - Please read what a web content management system should be.
            Please re-read my post and try and decipher exactly where you got the impression in any way shape or form that I dont know what a CMS is. I use joomla on a daily basis and develop on top of the platform along with having used Drupal in the past, dotnetduke and also composite. Dont mind you commenting on things I have actually said but please dont assume I dont know what I am talking about as you are sadly mistaken. You may be somewhat a very experienced person in vbulletin and may well indeed be well versed in php however you are not the worlds expert in every language and every type of platform. Dont wrongly assume others do not know what they are talking about as sooner or later you will make yourself look extremely stupid Scott. I am fully aware of what a CMS is, what they generally entail, what some have and what others dont, what I would look for in a CMS etc etc................ All that without being pointed to a user edited piece of reference material. Good eh?! Dont mine having debates, in fact I quite enjoy them however do not try to make me look stupid by paraphrasing as its highly annoying.

What I was actually pointed out was that some will not need the features that are "IN VB4" and can do everything and more with the site builder that they are currently using the CMS for (and just to point out in case you would like to paraphrase, I am stating CMS as that is the name of the particular addition to VB4 Suite as named so by Internet Brands. Not the accepted definition of a content management system as stated on wikipedia).

My question still stands, however I will rephase it for you. Am I correct in saying that you would rather the development team of vbulletin concentrate on releasing both the new vb5 core, vbulletin 5 forum, and the CMS, along with blogs and groups, rather than concentrate on getting the core of the product correct, working, and high performing? If thats the case fair enough, just after clarifying.
            Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• beishe8
              • Oct 2005
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by soniceffect
              ...Dont wrongly assume others do not know what they are talking about as sooner or later you will make yourself look extremely stupid Scott.

Dont mine having debates, in fact I quite enjoy them however do not try to make me look stupid by paraphrasing as its highly annoying...
              Soniceffect, I think it's time to have a good rest.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• soniceffect
                • Feb 2005
                • 4.2.X

I said,

and you asked

If you understood what a CMS is and my wording and what I meant, then you would have never posted the question. So, knowing that, I can answer nothing other than by trying to inform you of what I meant. That you already knew what a CMS is, wasn't there for me to interpret. Sorry. And I wasn't considering you stupid, I considered you just not understanding my meaning. If you also knew me, you'd also know I never consider any customer stupid.

And the fact IB is constantly calling the missing functionality of being able to publish articles the "CMS" is simply wrong and shows an air of "amateurness" IMHO. The concept of vB5 should have been to BE a CMS with the worlds best community functionality, which is the ability to discuss about any piece of content anyone may be creating, be it a blog, article, thread, review, picture (in an album), etc. Those are all forms of content.

Scott
                Then maybe a "do you know what a cms is?" rather than "please go and read" as one is an assumption. I had juat posted directly above your first post to say i would rather these things be added and you stated underneith you would rather they dont and released all of them with 5.0. I was asking clarification to ensure i understood your post correctly. At no point from that was there any indication of me not knowing what a cms is.

So let me ask again... Whether it be a full cms an article system a blog or something that makes your first coffee in the morning. Do you think these thinga should be released in th initial release rather than concentrating on getting the base product correct? Just for clarification the question isnt "what is a CMS" its whether any extention to the main product should have even been there at all. The reason i ask is people seem to completely miss that there are a hell of a lot of forum only customers.
                Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• Ramsesx
                  • Aug 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by soniceffect
                  So let me ask again... Whether it be a full cms an article system a blog or something that makes your first coffee in the morning. Do you think these thinga should be released in th initial release rather than concentrating on getting the base product correct?
                  I'm not Scott but my answer to your question is:
                  They should have developed a product containing at least all features we know from vB4 suite.
                  And sold it to the public when it is out from a alpha / beta cycle.
                  It's just simple as that.

Comment

• hornstar6969
                    • Aug 2005
                    • 3.8.x

I agree. Vb5 should have all the features of vb4 when vb5 goes gold. If that means they build the core first and get that right and then build the blogs, groups etc so be it. However that should all happen before vb5 gold. Even tho I won't be using the cms it is just bad marketing to release a half made product (missing vb4 features) and not have an estimate on time when they may come (estimating is bad as things can change, and thus the timing may take years and direction by then may change too).

Because of this I refuse to buy until the product has everything back in.
                    Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

Comment

• Deimos
                      • Oct 2002
                      • 3.8.x

Was I the only one who thought VB5 was basically going to be a rewritten VB4, with 100+ new features? Because it seems we got...something, I'm not sure what it even is? A basic Vanilla forum with very few actual features and a bug count which is amazingly high for such a limited piece of software and it doesn't even include the "CMS".

Comment

• waldvb
                        • Apr 2012

Was I the only one who thought VB5 was basically going to be a rewritten VB4, with 100+ new features? Because it seems we got...something, I'm not sure what it even is? A basic Vanilla forum with very few actual features and a bug count which is amazingly high for such a limited piece of software and it doesn't even include the "CMS".
                        You're absolutely right. Today I don't need just a forum. I'm looking for complex platform with functionality, CMS, blogs,gadgets like photo & video galleries, etc.
                        Last edited by waldvb; Thu 22 Nov '12, 4:37am.

Comment

• Razgo
                          • Mar 2002
                          • 4.1.x

well now i am lost in regards to the CMS. I use the CMS but it would appear the CMS may not even happen in VB5? and instead of a a CMS it will be a site builder page maker for articles that can be commented on? i'm lost....

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Razgo
                            well now i am lost in regards to the CMS. I use the CMS but it would appear the CMS may not even happen in VB5? and instead of a a CMS it will be a site builder page maker for articles that can be commented on? i'm lost....
                            The article management portion of the CMS is currently not in vBulletin 5 beta, and won't be available until a future released version under vBulletin 5.x.

Comment

• Alfa1
                              • Dec 2005
                              • 3.8.x

Well the main question is when in the vb5 release span. Hypothetically they can announce 125 new features now and deliver these years down the road with the last release in the vb5.x range. Similar to how vb4.2 could be seen as vb4 Gold due to the features added in 4.2 and the thousands of bug fixes between 4.0 and 4.2
                              The same could happen to vb5. Hopefully not. Staff has told customers to only buy when vb5 offers the functionality that you need.
                              I buy 420 forums

Comment

• beishe8
                                • Oct 2005
                                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Alfa1
                                Staff has told customers to only buy when vb5 offers the functionality that you need.
                                Support staff here have the brain.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment