Maybe you can stop emailing every update?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlexanderT
    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by ProSportsForums
    If that is the case, and you have no interest in vB5 updates, why not simply opt out of the e-mails? You can learn when it has gone Gold here at vBulletin.com.
    That is the whole point of this thread. There is currently no way to opt-out of receiving vB5 updates without opting-out of all vB-related e-mails.

FWIW, just received another here-is-another-vB5-beta-update email. It says "Download vBulletin 5 Connect Beta Version 17" in its subject line despite the fact that I cannot download it because I didn't pay for it. What gives?

There is a simple reason that could explain why IB refuses to keep vB5 update mails out of the main vB e-mail list: they want to reach as many people as possible hoping to sell as many vB5 licenses as possible. If they started a new list, what's your guess how many "prospective" users would actually subscribe to it?

Comment

• Regs
      • May 2001
      • 4.2.X

You can certainly weed out those who have an understanding of business and those who don't in this thread.

Pick your battles also comes to mind.

Comment

• Loco.M
        • Mar 2005
        • 3.5.x

email filters are your friend if you don't want to unsubscribe
        -- Web Developer for hire
        ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

This was brought up to the management and they decided not to split the release announcement list.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• rhens
            • Sep 2012

i havent received a single e-mail about vB5.0 updates or upgrades. i see those announcements in the admin panels of my sites....as they happen.

Comment

• Solitaire
              • Oct 2010
              • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Regs
              You can certainly weed out those who have an understanding of business and those who don't in this thread.

Pick your battles also comes to mind.
              And this should be an easy gimme as it clearly is in the realm of possibilities versus the chants to go back to forum only software. And Wayne's comment:

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              This was brought up to the management and they decided not to split the release announcement list.
              States that they even considered it. So they have a perception of how annoying these emails can be to current 4.2 license holders who have decided not to purchase a product, but are being advised on beta updates to said product, being prompted to download said product, even though said product is not production ready or currently supported.

@Regs Your opinion of good business sense is not very sound because these emails are worded as if they are directly relevant to 4.2 license holders when they are not, and will just further encourage people who genuinely do what to receive updates on their product to eventually unsubscribe or ignore all communications from vbulletin. They are not sales pitches. They are support/service emails, and really should be split up to give focus and attention to the audience they are meant for.
              Vote for my suggestions here and here

Comment

• acwatts
                • Aug 2005
                • 3.8.x

I can't even login to the demo so I'm not interested in it. I just hit the spam button in my email client. Job done.

Comment

• cdoyle
                  • Sep 2004

I'm glad someone else started this thread, I've been getting tired of getting these emails all the time.

I can see them sending 1 email once VB 5 is ready for prime time, saying 'VB 5 is ready, upgrade today!'
                  An actual marketing email, with a link to their their demo or purchase page.

But sending multiple emails about a 'beta' that is no where near 'beta' stage, and on top of that you have to pay to test it out. Is just bad business sense, so far because of these emails. I came to their forum, saw all the bugs being reported. Tried out the demo forum, and saw the same things everyone else did and wasn't impressed.

So now I have 0 interest in upgrading to their latest project even if they get it working.

Comment

• Bill Rini
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                    Thanks for checking. I will be unsub'ing from all VB emails.

You can also let management know they just lost an upgrade.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by AlexanderT
                    That is the whole point of this thread. There is currently no way to opt-out of receiving vB5 updates without opting-out of all vB-related e-mails.

FWIW, just received another here-is-another-vB5-beta-update email. It says "Download vBulletin 5 Connect Beta Version 17" in its subject line despite the fact that I cannot download it because I didn't pay for it. What gives?

There is a simple reason that could explain why IB refuses to keep vB5 update mails out of the main vB e-mail list: they want to reach as many people as possible hoping to sell as many vB5 licenses as possible. If they started a new list, what's your guess how many "prospective" users would actually subscribe to it?
                    I just got another one today, "Demo the New vBulletin 5 Connect Site Builder". That's two emails this week.
                    Community manager at Thailand Friends

Comment

• gfc
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by acwatts
                      I can't even login to the demo so I'm not interested in it. I just hit the spam button in my email client. Job done.
                      I'll do so in gmail. If enough annoyed customers do so, they may get blacklisted for this. Smart move, management to annoy your paying customers.
                      parkrocker.net - The Rock im Park Festival Community

Comment

• hornstar6969
                        • Aug 2005
                        • 3.8.x

#First world problems

This has made my day
                        Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

Comment

• soniceffect
                          • Feb 2005
                          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Bill Rini
                          That's two emails this week.
                          A whole 2? Lol
                          Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• Mark.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            • Feb 2004
                            • 6.0.X

Personally I welcome the emails.

Even if I had not got a vB5 licence (which I have), I do not object to product updates from companies I have a "business relationship" with, as long as they don;t get silly.

The vBulletin ones have not got silly. In my opinion.

I get more emails from the UK ISP "Virgin Media", of whom I am also a customer, they sent about three a week, but I don't particularly mind those either.

Not so long back there were complaints that vBulletin did not update its customers properly by email. Now that's sorted, there are more complaints. It's just impossible to please everyone, that's the nature of business, but it doesn't mean the business is acting improperly.
                            MARK.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            ------------
                            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• DoDeH1
                              • Jan 2008
                              • 4.2.X

This thread is going nowhere. It's as simple as it gets. If you don't want to receive e-mail then unsubscribe. As every company does IB wants to advertise their product and they are doing it. I bet you receive much more e-mails from other e-mail/software/hardware companies and U don't complain. It's been a while since everyone got used to only complain.
                              In my opinion it's normal to advertise VB5 since VB4 will no longer get any major update. You want them to send you e-mails about VB3 or VB2?
                              Take it from the other side. If they don't send any information throw e-mail then everyone will complain that they didn't know about the new updates.

I remember that not long ago many of you complained that they didn't received any e-mail about the launch of VB5 and that the coupon CONNECT was valid till the end of the month. So decide... leave it as it is or unsubscribe.
                              I don't want to offense any of you but that's my opinion.

Comment

• sadiq6210
                                • Jun 2004
                                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                                Even if I had not got a vB5 licence (which I have), I do not object to product updates from companies I have a "business relationship" with, as long as they don;t get silly.
                                I agree with you Mark
                                Signature test :)

Comment