The mod community will embrace vB5 Connect.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by jdj
    I would probably feel the same way, except that one of the other admins was complaining about Vertical Response and how difficult it was to use. We saw the notices that there would be a full integration with vB5 and so I said that things would get better. There's no date for release of the CMS or the calendar so the other admins just got fed up of messing around with Vertical Response. Yes, of course, when it comes out we want it to work, but the CMS and calendar are very much part of the core of vB4.
    What notice about Vertical Response and where?
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• digitalpoint
      • Mar 2004
      • 4.1.x

At least there is money to be made for good mod developers. Whoever is the first to make a paid subscription and/or infraction system that can import data from vB4 will make a good chunk of change. Those are two fairly core features that for whatever reason didn't make the cut for vB5. Of course not every site sells subscriptions, but a lot do... But the lack of the infraction system is actually borderline crazy... Does anyone *not* rely on the infraction system in vB4 to track and control problematic users?
      Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
      Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• In Omnibus
        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by digitalpoint
        Does anyone *not* rely on the infraction system in vB4 to track and control problematic users?
        I don't. Fail to see the point of giving people multiple chances to be a problem.

Comment

• digitalpoint
          • Mar 2004
          • 4.1.x

Well for us, we use it to track minor things (like someone starting a thread in the wrong category), not just spammers or other bannable things.
          Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
          Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• soniceffect
            • Feb 2005
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Deimos
            What if it's never ready?
            A fair amount of people consider VB4 "ready", but only after 2 years of bug squashing and heck, it's still got a load of bugs in it after 2 years.
            So has vb2, IPB 2 etc etc
            Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• acwatts
              • Aug 2005
              • 3.8.x

Does anyone *not* rely on the infraction system in vB4 to track and control problematic users?
              I turned it off completely, all it did was upset users and they would leave. It's like getting points on your driving license for traffic offences, no one likes them.

Comment

• soniceffect
                • Feb 2005
                • 4.2.X

Gotta admit I did the same with infraction system. However that said a lot of people do use them. I for one will not even dream of updating without the subscription system. Site couldnt afford it. However as I already said, whats the rush?

Comment

• hornstar6969
                  • Aug 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by acwatts
                  I turned it off completely, all it did was upset users and they would leave. It's like getting points on your driving license for traffic offences, no one likes them.
                  I can see that view, however on our site it made it fair how mods were giving out bans. Before you would have 1 mod perm ban someone on a moody day and than it was hard to track when another mod just cleaned up the mess without making notes and than those notes were a pain. The infraction system was the best system on our site. It would have been nice to make it a little less harsh tho lol.
                  Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

Comment

• soniceffect
                    • Feb 2005
                    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by hornstar6969
                    I can see that view, however on our site it made it fair how mods were giving out bans. Before you would have 1 mod perm ban someone on a moody day and than it was hard to track when another mod just cleaned up the mess without making notes and than those notes were a pain. The infraction system was the best system on our site. It would have been nice to make it a little less harsh tho lol.
                    See I dont allow mods the ability to ban either. Can always get hold of at least one of the admin ......... Besides, Im usualy the cranky one LOL

Comment

• beishe8
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by soniceffect
                      You think things like vbshop, vbshout, vbsignatures, vbquiz, vbslider, vbnominate, vbmail, vbdownloads, vbavatars, vbarcade, vbcredits, rpg, gallery, vbforms to name a few should be standard in vb5??
                      No.
                      vB standards which are ATM "mods" only.
                      Note the quotes in my earlier post:
                      Originally posted by beishe8
                      vB Connect + standard "mods"= $400+
                      ...and if you have a second to read this...
                      Last edited by beishe8; Thu 18 Oct '12, 10:58am.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• soniceffect
                        • Feb 2005
                        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by beishe8
                        No.
                        vB standards which are ATM "mods" only.
                        Note the quotes in my earlier post:

...and if you have a second to read this...
                        The quotes said nothing LOL ... But yeah ok, will give ya the "I didnt read far enough up" part LOL

Comment

• Riasat
                          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by jdj
                          The only bug we've noticed recently is that if you put bolding around links in the notices it messes up your site.
                          Is there a bug report for it? I have a feeling it is not a bug at all. You are welcome to open a support ticket (email to [email protected]) and explain the issue.

Comment

• Neo_Angelo
                            • Dec 2005
                            • 3.8.x

At least there is money to be made for good mod developers. Whoever is the first to make a paid subscription and/or infraction system that can import data from vB4 will make a good chunk of change. Those are two fairly core features that for whatever reason didn't make the cut for vB5. Of course not every site sells subscriptions, but a lot do... But the lack of the infraction system is actually borderline crazy... Does anyone *not* rely on the infraction system in vB4 to track and control problematic users?
                            I've never once relied on the infraction system for vB4 as i hated it, and could never understand why it was made the way it was, i LOVED iTechs user warning mod and have used that ever since because the infraction system was just too much for something that could be done so simply (iTech reffering to the old Inferno Tech that no longer exists).

As for the vB5 debate i'm unsure myself whether or not to make the upgrade, at the moment i see no point for me as to me vb5 seems like a downgrade to me that people are paying for as it doesn't yet have the features i'd need to upgrade, but as Iain mentioned if its progressing how it is then who knows, it may end up being better than vB4 and that will be the time i choose to upgrade.

As an ex-staff member (of some time now) of the DB-Tech team i can safely say (and i am no obligated to say it either, just my two cents) that no matter how good/bad vB5 is, i'm certain Iain will have had plans to fit his business needs and shift DB-Tech forward regardless of vB as his business isn't dependant on vB at all, now i'm not 100% clued up on DB-Tech policies/plans/aims and such but i do know from the time working with Iain is that he's a brilliant strategist and has a fantastic business head and when it comes to knowledge i'm sure he could rival some of the top brass businesses, not to mention an absolutly top quality team behind him, he will get done what needs to be done and to the highest standard. Just look at how sucessful his business is from filling those gaps, to go from a 4-man team (Myself, Deceptor, Iain and Fillip) to a team of 7 which his business has probably doubled if not more over the past year or so, With some of the most well known and most used Mods its safe to say he knows what he's doing. To totally disregard what he's said would be like saying that the queen of England doesn't exist.

Now i'm not here to sing Iains praises, his company more than does that for him, what i want to make clear is that just because everyone elses opinion on vB is different, doesn't mean you should dismiss such a valuable opinion that comes from Iain and the team.

My personal opinion of vB5 aside from missing the features i want is that it looks quite good, sure it has things i'll never use (like activity stream, blogs and other things) it seems like its designed with ease of use for both coders and non-coders. having had a little go on my friends vb5 test boards i can safely say it appears much easier to do things and the steps needed to do them are dramatically reduced. I like the drag and drop feature very much and since i used to skin a bit for vB3 it looks as though it might be even easier to skin than vB3 (not a huge fan of skinning for vB4 as vb4 style vars were lame, i liked the old style stylevars which got removed).

On the whole i'm sure IB know what they are doing despite not showing this when they took over Jelsoft. Have faith and i'm sure it'll pay off.
                            Colin F is my hero!

Comment

• 0ptima
                              • Jan 2002

Originally posted by DragonByte Tech
                              You see, xF takes the Model-View-Controller (MVC for short) principle and sticks to it. In other words, you cannot access the database in the "View" layer (vB calls it the "presentation" layer). This means you have to ensure you've fetched all your data prior to actually sending it to the presentation layer.
                              This is MVC done right.

Comment

• soniceffect
                                • Feb 2005
                                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by s.molinari
                                Absolutely. Anything else is cludging.

Scott
                                Surely anything else is a different model and not MVC as apposed to cludging. Just because MVC is not used doesnt make it wrong?

Comment