Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sal Collaziano
    • May 2000

My Opinion

I'll be quick. Something about vBulletin 5 reminds me of OpenTopic.......................

I understand that vBulletin is no longer "forum software" but a website building package that includes a forum...

I feel this is far too complicated for most people. Even the vBulletin 4 Suite. Too complicated. SIMPLE would be WordPress with vBulletin as a forum. WordPress is a very simple but easy to use and EXTREMELY easy to modify, add to and upgrade CMS. THAT is what vBulletin 5 should have been - in MY opinion - "with a forum".

The best advice I can offer you is - sell an inexpensive "forum" as a separate script. If you do not, you will find many, many, many people switching to other forum scripts. This is just too complicated, too heavy (slow) and just TOO DARN MUCH for people who already have a website, have no issue building one with Dreamweaver - and want a forum. Not everybody wants a content management system. Some people just want a forum.

Continue on the current path for all the geeks who eat, breathe, sleep and dream CMS. But separate the "forum" for everybody else.

Just my opinion...
    I agree with Sal
    70.91%
    I do not agree with Sal
    29.09%
    My vBulletin Forums:
    cadillac, buick, pontiac, oldsmobile, automotive, freestyle, 80s, lexus, bmw, mercedes, audi, toyota, honda, acura, nissan, infiniti, hyundai genesis, chevy

...can't fit any more...
  • craigvm
    • Aug 2012
    • 4.2.X

i agree mate its a shame vbulletin is going downhill i currently run vb4.2 witch i will be staying on for a long time but when i do decide to upgrade sorry to say it wont be a vbulletin product maybe i.p.board and i think alot of customers will be moving away from vbulletin .
    but yet vbulletin 5 is still described as "leader in online community software!" with is no longer true with vb5
    www.fordmodified.co.uk
    the home for modified fords

Comment

• rudedog1968
      • Feb 2004
      • 3.8.x

I agree, but get the feeling more and more that vB themselves are confused on what they are going.
      Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment

• Loco.M
        • Mar 2005
        • 3.5.x

no one should ever build a site with dreamweaver

There is only one script, no forum only option anymore
        -- Web Developer for hire
        ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• Fortforum
          • Oct 2009
          • 3.8.x

My god, where do you get all the power to write these pointless threads? If you want a BMW you buy one, right? You don´t go to the dealer and bash him about not making cars that are up to your standars. Again and again and again. Instead you straif over to the Audi or Maserati dealer to get what you are looking for.

Just move to xf or phpbb if simpiicity´s what you are looking for. Or stick with 3.8. Or go with VB 5 and turn everything you don´t want off.

You have a wide variety of options, and non of them involve complaining or writing stupid pollls here that leads to absolutely nothing at all.

Comment

• rudedog1968
            • Feb 2004
            • 3.8.x

I still agree with Sal....
            Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment

• Ramsesx
              • Aug 2005
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Fortforum
              My god, where do you get all the power to write these pointless threads? If you want a BMW you buy one, right? You don´t go to the dealer and bash him about not making cars that are up to your standars. Again and again and again. Instead you straif over to the Audi or Maserati dealer to get what you are looking for.

Just move to xf or phpbb if simpiicity´s what you are looking for. Or stick with 3.8. Or go with VB 5 and turn everything you don´t want off.

You have a wide variety of options, and non of them involve complaining or writing stupid pollls here that leads to absolutely nothing at all.
              You forgot to mention all the people outside, staring through the salesroom window, waiting all day for the complainers to just jump in and tell them to move on...

Comment

• Deimos
                • Oct 2002
                • 3.8.x

The problem I find, is Vbulletin was all about the forum product, and they excelled at it

But then came IB and they tried to reinvent the wheel by bringing out the CMS (or article system), it wasn't a good result

But instead of learning from that major mistake and focusing all effort on a forum product, they've now gone and tried to reinvent something else, heck, I don't even know what VB5 is supposed to be, it's like Myspace/Facebook 0.1 Alpha (as I've said a few times now)

This, is a huge mistake, in my opinion.

All they had to do with VB5, is learn from the lessons of the past, namely, focus on what VB is known for and is good at, a QUALITY forum product.

They could've learnt from the mistakes of VB4 and moved on, but they'd taken two steps forward and 10 back by bringing out that mashup of a social networking thing they call VB5.

Comment

• TLMD
                  • Sep 2012
                  • 5.6.X

Originally posted by Deimos
                  The problem I find, is Vbulletin was all about the forum product, and they excelled at it

But then came IB and they tried to reinvent the wheel by bringing out the CMS (or article system), it wasn't a good result
                  I actually like the idea of having both a very good forum software and a powerful CMS. Very often you want to run a community site which also has somewhat of a news/article system wrapped around it, so bringing a forum software and a CMS together seems reasonable. However, much effort has to be put into the new vB 5 to make it a solid piece of software.

Comment

• Sal Collaziano
                    • May 2000

I think the "total package" idea is great. Keep moving forward with it. But have a smaller, less complicated product - like vBulletin 3 - for those just looking for a forum.

I think Drupal and Joomla are great examples of CMSs that are too complicated for common people to work with. I think vBulletin's CMS is complicated on a similar level.

WordPress is an example of a CMS that's simple - and far more people can be comfortable working with it. If I were building a perfect combination of CMS and Forum - I'd have built it for the masses...

I didn't start this discussion to cause problems for Jelsoft. I started it because I feel they should consider what I'm saying for the future.
                    My vBulletin Forums:
                    cadillac, buick, pontiac, oldsmobile, automotive, freestyle, 80s, lexus, bmw, mercedes, audi, toyota, honda, acura, nissan, infiniti, hyundai genesis, chevy

...can't fit any more...

Comment

• OhioDave
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2012

I sadly do not agree.

It's clear that they should only focus on one product at a time and manage one code base at a time. Having two seperate products and probably code bases for them wouldn't be beneficial for anyone.

Comment

• Super Cat
                        • Jan 2005
                        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Sal Collaziano
                        I didn't start this discussion to cause problems for Jelsoft. I started it because I feel they should consider what I'm saying for the future.
                        Don't worry about causing problems for Jelsoft, they sold the company several years agos.

Comment

• steven s
                          • Jul 2004
                          • 3.8.x

There is nothing wrong with having a CMS built in, it just was not implemented properly.
                          As I recall many people wanted a CMS.
                          ...steven
                          www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                          bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                          "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• slinky
                            • Mar 2001
                            • 1.1.x

My god, where do you get all the power to write these pointless threads? If you want a BMW you buy one, right? You don´t go to the dealer and bash him about not making cars that are up to your standars. Again and again and again. Instead you straif over to the Audi or Maserati dealer to get what you are looking for. Just move to xf or phpbb if simpiicity´s what you are looking for. Or stick with 3.8. Or go with VB 5 and turn everything you don´t want off.
                            Switching forum software is not as simple as just switching chairs at a table or getting a different car. It's more like having a long time business investment in Windows hardware and software and then pretending as if there aren't any additional costs and investments to go to an Apple environment. Besides, these are all just opinions shared between fellow customers. What gives anyone the right to bash another customer, especially someone who appears to be one of the first vBulletin customers, from just politely stating his opinion?
                            My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

• KrU$ty
                              • May 2008
                              • 3.7.x

That's right guys. You should never have an opinion that Fortforum does not agree with. I mean, just because the developers asked for opinions on the software and created a forum specifically for that purpose does not mean you should do it, right? Right.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...