X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Poppet25
    • May 2007
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Sal Collaziano
    I'll be quick. Something about vBulletin 5 reminds me of OpenTopic.......................

I understand that vBulletin is no longer "forum software" but a website building package that includes a forum...

I feel this is far too complicated for most people. Even the vBulletin 4 Suite. Too complicated. SIMPLE would be WordPress with vBulletin as a forum. WordPress is a very simple but easy to use and EXTREMELY easy to modify, add to and upgrade CMS. THAT is what vBulletin 5 should have been - in MY opinion - "with a forum".

The best advice I can offer you is - sell an inexpensive "forum" as a separate script. If you do not, you will find many, many, many people switching to other forum scripts. This is just too complicated, too heavy (slow) and just TOO DARN MUCH for people who already have a website, have no issue building one with Dreamweaver - and want a forum. Not everybody wants a content management system. Some people just want a forum.

Continue on the current path for all the geeks who eat, breathe, sleep and dream CMS. But separate the "forum" for everybody else.

Just my opinion...
    Totally agree... I'm not impressed at all with vB5 and why should we pay for Beta software? I just want a forum at the end of the day, not an all singing, jack of all trades come CMS thingy that costs even more for the addons.

All my members want is a Forum to chat about things, not having to worry about anything but post...
    Last edited by Poppet25; Mon 8 Oct '12, 6:21pm.

Comment

• aussiefooty
      • Nov 2008
      • 6.0.X

I agree but I think that it's more like joomla where you can have your own site builder that allows you to build your own site around the forum that you have. It's awesome and it's here to stay
      Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
      Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• goldenbrown
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by carntheroos4eva
        I agree but I think that it's more like joomla where you can have your own site builder that allows you to build your own site around the forum that you have. It's awesome and it's here to stay
        I agree. The new Joomla is pretty cool.

Comment

• Fortforum
          • Oct 2009
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by KrU$ty
          I mean, just because the developers asked for opinions on the software and created a forum specifically for that purpose does not mean you should do it, right? Right.
          Being constructive is one thing, whining is another.

Just stating that the company should go back to the old software... isn´t very constructive.

Comment

• Sal Collaziano
            • May 2000

Originally posted by Fortforum
            Being constructive is one thing, whining is another.

Just stating that the company should go back to the old software... isn´t very constructive.
            You're the only one here who thinks I'm whining. I have 25 vBulletin licenses - it should be obvious that I like the company / the software and simply want to see things move in the right direction. vBulletin should be a forum script alone (which gets updated with new features as time goes on) that plugs into vBulletin Connect (a CMS). There's no need for two sets of code to work on as OhioDave had mentioned.
            Last edited by Sal Collaziano; Tue 9 Oct '12, 7:06pm. Reason: Added capital C for connect
            My vBulletin Forums:
            cadillac, buick, pontiac, oldsmobile, automotive, freestyle, 80s, lexus, bmw, mercedes, audi, toyota, honda, acura, nissan, infiniti, hyundai genesis, chevy

...can't fit any more...

Comment

• Sal Collaziano
              • May 2000

I'd like to hear from anyone who thought I was talking about two separate code bases. I mentioned in the post above that there should only be one code base for the "forum" and that it should plug into the CMS. I think we all figured that one day we'd have a forum with a great CMS but I think the focus has moved to vBulletin being a great CMS with a forum. There are lots of better choices out there for a CMS. NOT SO MUCH when you talk about forums. Why? Because vBulletin has cornered the market. Honestly - what forum software is better? None. That is going to change if we keep going down the road we're on.
              My vBulletin Forums:
              cadillac, buick, pontiac, oldsmobile, automotive, freestyle, 80s, lexus, bmw, mercedes, audi, toyota, honda, acura, nissan, infiniti, hyundai genesis, chevy

...can't fit any more...

Comment

• craigvm
                • Aug 2012
                • 4.2.X

i agree there should be just a forum then the option of a forum with cms like how vb4 was vb4 forums and vb4 suite,i deffo cant see me upgrading to vb5 no matter what for a start i just dont like the look and feel and feel it would just confuse my members how different it is from what there used to not to mention the performance issues with vb5 and if vb4 is anything to go by vb6 will be out before all the bugs are fixed,people would have alot more confidence in vb if they did`nt release a new version untill at lease every feature works and nearly all bugs are fixed instead they expect people to pay $250 for a incomplete product
                www.fordmodified.co.uk
                the home for modified fords

Comment

• yamahapaul
                  • Jun 2008
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by craigvm
                  if vb4 is anything to go by vb6 will be out before all the bugs are fixed,people would have alot more confidence in vb if they did`nt release a new version untill at lease every feature works and nearly all bugs are fixed instead they expect people to pay $250 for a incomplete product
                  This is probably the most constructive comment in this thread
                  Midlands Heritage Forum

Comment

• Xaron
                    • Sep 2006

I'm with you Sal, I totally agree. Never liked the "CMS" in vB4. Actually even though I think having a CMS together with a forum is a good idea, it would had been better to do a forum alone because the CMS in vB4 is unusable and I have no doubts vB5 won't make it better.

Wordpress is a real good example how to make a CMS easy to use.

Comment

• tiwale
                      • Sep 2006

yeah yeah yeah, imagine the days when BBS was the thing... imagine a company still making BBS apps in 2012... I think IB is heading to the right direction... I kinda agree with Xaron, I wish it could be easier for us to choose another CMS to integrate with VB5 if we do not want to use their CMS.

Comment

• Sal Collaziano
                        • May 2000

Originally posted by Xaron
                        I'm with you Sal, I totally agree. Never liked the "CMS" in vB4. Actually even though I think having a CMS together with a forum is a good idea, it would had been better to do a forum alone because the CMS in vB4 is unusable and I have no doubts vB5 won't make it better.

Wordpress is a real good example how to make a CMS easy to use.
                        To me, the CMS in vBulletin 4 is as complicated as Joomla or Drupal. It would take time that I don't have to learn how to use it. I forget which one I used years ago (It was either Joomla or Drupal) and I did learn how to make it work - but I don't have that kind of time right now or for the foreseeable future. WordPress is simple - especially with the ease of adding plugins and updates/upgrades: Click, done.

Originally posted by tiwale
                        yeah yeah yeah, imagine the days when BBS was the thing... imagine a company still making BBS apps in 2012... I think IB is heading to the right direction... I kinda agree with Xaron, I wish it could be easier for us to choose another CMS to integrate with VB5 if we do not want to use their CMS.
                        I remember those days. The BBS was a much more personal experience. I'd actually like to see something similar these days. I think it could work. It would be very different from a forum but interesting.
                        My vBulletin Forums:

...can't fit any more...

Comment

• Sal Collaziano
                          • May 2000

Out of 41 voters so far, only 9 disagree with me. Any chance we can get a lighter version of this upcoming vBulletin 5 script?
                          My vBulletin Forums:

...can't fit any more...

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

vBulletin 5 is a beta software, we're continuing to improve it in each beta release. I doubt you'll see the return of a forum only version.

Comment

• OhioDave
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Zachery
                              vBulletin 5 is a beta software, we're continuing to improve it in each beta release. I doubt you'll see the return of a forum only version.
                              It's already a forum only version.

Comment

• Ace
                                • Apr 2004
                                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by OhioDave
                                It's already a forum only version.
                                With Blogs and at a later point, a CMS.
                                My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                                vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...