Clear All
  • acwatts
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by beishe8
    There is no other reason behind it.

No licence transfers!

We cannot prevent EU customers from it?
    Increase the fees, they will stop harassing us.
    Yes, they might just think to hell with IB go on to another forum software and put their copy and license info on a file sharing site. I think VB is going down a very slippery slope the way it's been run since IB took over.

Comment

• slinky
      • Mar 2001
      • 1.1.x

The pricing and the other intangibles make this the perfect time to migrate away from vBulletin. Now before the usual loyalists start using words like "hater", maybe they can listen and understand why. At $210 per license, it's the equivalent of buying all new software and VB 5 isn't the equivalent of other software. It's not even the equivalent of Xenforo (and won't be for quite a while) which costs much less. I need to get all new templates and all new plugins too. Price is why I didn't bother upgrading my Vb 3 licenses. What was the point of going to VB 4 when it didn't offer a whole lot more? I upgraded a couple at the presale price because of concerns about support and even that turned out to be a huge waste as VB 4 won't likely ever be PHP 5.4 compatible. So for $130-150 I can get myself a whole new forum that has tons of plugins, templates and features with far more benefits and no additional penalties that you get when upgrading to VB 5. I can see the beta customers being angry, those who purchased that the "special price" of $184 as early adopters.
      My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

• OhioDave
        Banned
        • Jul 2012

Xenforo lacks the features that even vBulletin 5 has.

Spam management is awful on XenForo (just look at their forums)
        User management is terrible (can you merge 2 users on XF?)

Really, I don't think it's fair to say that vB5 is behind XF when clearly it's not. It might not perform as fast right now due to being in early beta stages, but wait for the final version before passing judgement on performance.

Comment

• acwatts
          • Aug 2005
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by OhioDave

Really, I don't think it's fair to say that vB5 is behind XF when clearly it's not.
          Are you having a laugh. VB5 is not even usable yet, I cant even log in to the demo, what a great way to advertise a new product, software that does not work and runs like a dog with no legs.

Welcome to VB5 you have been Disconnected.

Comment

• AlexanderT
            • Mar 2003

I have run a forum for almost a century, and do you know how many times I had to merge two users? Not a single time.

Comment

• slinky
              • Mar 2001
              • 1.1.x

Xenforo lacks the features that even vBulletin 5 has.
              Spam management is awful on XenForo (just look at their forums)
              You can't stop people from registering and posting junk. Works fine for me with general spam management and my vBulletin forum has similar issues with dumping in creative ways.

I don't recall using this feature more than a handful of times in more than 10 years with vBulletin.

Really, I don't think it's fair to say that vB5 is behind XF when clearly it's not. It might not perform as fast right now due to being in early beta stages, but wait for the final version before passing judgement on performance.
              It's way behind. Faster isn't even the word. Plus there are tons of templates, plugins, use, etc. I'll show you numerous Xenforo sites that are mature and rather remarkable, spam free and incredibly impressive. VB 5 is still a beta, I grant you, but it is far, far behind. Don't kid yourself. How many bugs does it have?

Now even if you don't want to buy XenForo you go to IPB, which is light years ahead of vBulletin. Thanks to what was done to me here I took an even better look at IPB and decided to also invest there. For $150 (and there are discounts) you can run a super nice forum that even standing still will rival anything they can do here for at least a year and probably more. And that's the bottom line. Why would I pay $210 to give up an existing license for VB 5? I can always throw the VB 4 licenses on some experiment domains and use $150 to buy IPB and have $60 more to spend on something else.

I think pricing here was ridiculous. You already have early adopters complaining and understandably as they realize that their discount was just a cheap ploy of pressure sales like the vBulletin 4 presale was without the guarantee. They will probably go ballistic if they see sub $200 price points going forward as early adopters who foolishly spent months of their life putting bugs in the Jira for no compensation at all. Why would you agree to buy a product and donate all this time for free?

Anyways - even if I didn't factor in the company's foolish actions regarding what it did with my other licenses, the pricing here just makes no sense if you're a current customer. As I said, all sites get upgraded to IPB or XF for less money than this upgrade and my existing VB licenses go on fledgling sites as extras. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts if you can see another way that makes sense.

Comment

• Ramsesx
                • Aug 2005
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by AlexanderT
                I have run a forum for almost a century, and do you know how many times I had to merge two users? Not a single time.
                I've used it 10 or more times. So, everybody has different needs and it makes sense to have some features in a forum software.

Comment

• AlexanderT
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Ramsesx
                  I've used it 10 or more times. So, everybody has different needs and it makes sense to have some features in a forum software.
                  Absolutely agreed. And XF is far from being complete in comparison to, let's say, vB 3.8x. Just saying that the possibility to merge users is probably not the benchmark for most forum admins.

Comment

• Ramsesx
                    • Aug 2005
                    • 3.8.x

Sure, it has other nice features vB is lacking like the alert system. Even vB5's notification doesn't come near to it.

Comment

• Deimos
                      • Oct 2002
                      • 3.8.x

VB5, in it's current state, doesn't come near anything, well except perhaps Facebook Alpha 0.1

Comment

• slinky
                        • Mar 2001
                        • 1.1.x

Regardless of what administrative features XF may or may not have, there is far more usability on the front end that one can present the appearance of a finished product that works well to visitors. You can have thousands of administrative tasks and the ability to merge 2, 3 or 10 users but they are worthless if you don't have users and posts to administrate. It will be a long while until anyone should even consider planning plugins or templates for VB 5 as well.

Comment

• In Omnibus
                          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by AlexanderT
                          What kind of forum did you run prior to the advent of dial-up internet in the 1980's? Inquiring minds want to know.

Comment

• AlexanderT
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by ProSportsForums
                            What kind of forum did you run prior to the advent of dial-up internet in the 1980's? Inquiring minds want to know.
                            Since you asked.

Comment

• acwatts
                              • Aug 2005
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ProSportsForums
                              I was using forums/bulletin board systems before the Internet came along.

Comment

• In Omnibus
                                • Apr 2010

Originally posted by acwatts
                                I was using forums/bulletin board systems before the Internet came along.
                                Which has nothing whatsoever to do with vBulletin specifically or web-based message board fora generally. Nor, for that matter, does Agora.

It seems the largest complaint being lodged in this thread is that vBulletin customers are being forced to "suffer" with version 4.2 until version 5 Gold is ready, and that is no complaint.

As you stated, there are options, if all one cares about is having forum capabilities. phpbb is free. Personally, if I cared to work with an inferior product I'd take the freeware over the other paid options.

There are always those who leave vBulletin for another product for varying reasons. Many have returned. The reason is because, for all the issues inherent to software development, vBulletin remains hands down the most functional product of its kind. Nothing else comes close. No one is being held under duress to purchase vBulletin 5. It's an option. There is a demo site. There are fora upon fora detailing what the product is and what the product is not. There are YouTube videos. There is voluminous customer feedback. This is anything but a case of misrepresentation. Caveat emptor.

Comment