X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OhioDave
    Banned
    • Jul 2012

vB5 license agreement?

Is the license agreement the same on both vB4 and vB5??
  • Reeve of Shinra
    • Sep 2001

No- there appear to be substantial changes but a list has not been made.
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Hartmut
      • Nov 2007
      • 4.2.x

Originally posted by OhioDave
      No, they are different in some details.
      No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

Comment

• tickedon
        • Jan 2004
        • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 3

Originally posted by OhioDave
        There are substantive changes. Staff here however seem to be under instructions to "gloss over" the changes rather than bring them to the attention of customers, so you'll have to refer to other threads here or do your own comparison, I'm afraid.
        Alasdair Stewart || SolidPHP, Inc - www.solidphp.com
        # License, distribute and sell your PHP scripts - SPBAS licensing solution
        # Does your licensing provider have over 5 years of experience?

★ STOP PRESS! Click here for my FAQ on the changes for existing customers

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by tickedon
          There are substantive changes. Staff here however seem to be under instructions to "gloss over" the changes rather than bring them to the attention of customers, so you'll have to refer to other threads here or do your own comparison, I'm afraid.
          We're not lawyers and we've not been instructed to gloss over anything. Please refrain from spreading rumors.

Here is the vBulletin 5 license agreement: https://www.vbulletin.com/license-agreement/

As I am not a lawyer, and not qualified to comment on changes, the best I can do is present you with the license agreement.

Comment

Is there a copy of the vbulletin 4 license agreement available? Wouldn't owners that haven't bought vb5 have access to that? I don't see it.

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

You can view the vB4 license agreement when downloading the software.

Comment

• OhioDave
                Banned
                • Jul 2012

Thank you, that is the information I was looking for.

I'm not sure if anyone would be able to answer this, but I'm getting ready to test upgrade vB 5 for a clients site, does this put me under the license agreement. More specifically the part thats in the bold:
                1.9 Pre-release Software Additional Terms. If the Software is pre-commercial release or beta software (“Pre-release Software”), then this section applies. The Pre-release Software is a pre-release version, does not represent a final product from vBulletin Solutions, and may contain bugs, errors, and other problems that could cause system or other failures and data loss and may only be used for testing purposes. vBulletin Solutions may never commercially release the Pre-release Software. vBulletin Solutions may alter features, licensing terms, or other characteristics of any version of the Pre-release Software that it releases. If you received the Pre-release Software pursuant to a separate written agreement, (“Test Agreement”) for Pre-release Software, your use of the Software is also governed by the Test Agreement. If there is a conflict between this Agreement and the Test Agreement, the Test Agreement controls. You may not disclose, publish or disseminate any information regarding the Pre-release Software to anyone, including but not limited to any new features or faults to any Internet forums. YOUR USE OF PRE-RELEASE SOFTWARE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. SEE SECTIONS 7 AND 8 FOR WARRANTY DISCLAIMERS AND LIABILITY LIMITATIONS THAT APPLY TO THE PRE-RELEASE SOFTWARE.
                as I dont want to be responsible if their license gets revoked.

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

I believe that might be a snipet left over from the alpha testers license. Ill pass this onto the correct people for review.

Edit, I believe the preveious sentence covers the sentence you have highlighted.

If you received the Pre-release Software pursuant to a separate written agreement, (“Test Agreement”) for Pre-release Software, your use of the Software is also governed by the Test Agreement. If there is a conflict between this Agreement and the Test Agreement, the Test Agreement controls. You may not disclose, publish or disseminate any information regarding the Pre-release Software to anyone, including but not limited to any new features or faults to any Internet forums. YOUR USE OF PRE-RELEASE SOFTWARE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. SEE SECTIONS 7 AND 8 FOR WARRANTY DISCLAIMERS AND LIABILITY LIMITATIONS THAT APPLY TO THE PRE-RELEASE SOFTWARE.
                  Though I'll still check that it is supposed to be there.
                  Last edited by Zachery; Mon 1 Oct '12, 4:17pm.

Comment

• OhioDave
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2012

Thank you sir.

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

After re-reading that a few times, I'm going to assume it should be there. I will check in on this later during the week, I suspect it is to cover our alpha testers, who are bound by their own agreements.

Comment

• tickedon
                        • Jan 2004
                        • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 3

Originally posted by Zachery
                        After re-reading that a few times, I'm going to assume it should be there. I will check in on this later during the week, I suspect it is to cover our alpha testers, who are bound by their own agreements.
                        I'm confused. I can't reconcile your most recent post, above, with an earlier one, below:

Originally posted by Zachery
                        As I am not a lawyer, and not qualified to comment on changes, the best I can do is present you with the license agreement.
                        You can either comment, or you can't?
                        Alasdair Stewart || SolidPHP, Inc - www.solidphp.com
                        # License, distribute and sell your PHP scripts - SPBAS licensing solution
                        # Does your licensing provider have over 5 years of experience?

★ STOP PRESS! Click here for my FAQ on the changes for existing customers

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

I am not able to comment on the specific differences, though I believe the specific bit he highlighted is supposed to be there based on reading the entire paragraph,. I'm also going to check with our legal department to ensure that it is.

Comment

• OhioDave
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2012

It's all so confusing! I think it's supposed to be there to judging from the first line of
                            If the Software is pre-commercial release or beta software (“Pre-release Software”), then this section applies.

which seem to indicate that anyone using the "pre-release" (which would be anything before final right?) would be under this agreement??

I dunno though, I'll just wait to see if anyone from legal responds to us

Thanks for taking time and looking in to it Zach.

Comment

• goldenbrown
                              • Aug 2012

Here is a discussion about the licenses that is in the feedback section. I dont know if it helps.

Comment