Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bluetiereign
    • Nov 2004

I'm sorry, I just don't like this...

Yeah, this is just such a huge departure from the very nice publishing suite that we have. It would probably be easier to swallow if it weren't such a drastic departure - all at once. You have completely wiped out any hint of familiarity users would have on my site. Change is great, but you could have been a bit more gentle with it. Not a hint of my former site remains (except for users - and my forums that are completely screwed up..and nearly impossible to find). Quite honestly, this is a freakin' nightmare. THANK GOD that I decided to try this on a server here at the house first.

Where is the 3 column layout ? Why are all of my forums thrown into a box labeled Sub-Forums ? Where is the ability to do all of those awesome things you are advertising in your preview movie ? Mine moves like a snail and you can't really do squat with it - on a server more powerful than any host I'm using. Why am I thrown back in such a huge learning curve with software I've been using since 2.x ?

I should have been suspicious when I saw you weren't running it here. Yeah, I think I'm with you on this one. I'll stick with v4 too.

I mean...REALLY ?
  • Deimos
    • Oct 2002
    • 3.8.x

I often wonder how good VB4 would be by now, had they spent all that development time on VB5, on VB4 instead.
    It truly might've been the best/most powerful forum software out there, but sadly...what a waste.

Comment

• Lynne
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Oct 2004

You do realize the software is in beta right now? It is not recommended to upgrade a live site to vB5 Connect at this time. It is recommended to install vB5 as a test site so you may get familiar with it.

As for the three column layout, where did we have three columns before? You ask about that layout as if it was a default and yet I can't think of what page you are thinking about except the CMS which isn't included in vB5 Connect yet.

Have you read this thread - https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...uick-Tutorials - there are several stickies in the vB5 forums to help you out.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Bluetiereign
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Lynne
        You do realize the software is in beta right now?
        Any other software with this many features missing or deactivated would be called alpha software. There is absolutely no way this should be called beta software in it's current shape. I have run TONS of beta software on production sites. This falls far short of being a beta trial.

I would go out of business telling the people I'm building a house for that they can start 'trying the house out' when all I've gotten done is the framing and put some paper on the roof. This is horrible. To be honest, I'm a bit shocked that vBulletin would even be party to offering something this unpolished as 'beta' software. Sorry.
        -----------------------
        Yes, the column layout was available in the now UNAVAILABLE grid manager in the UNAVAILBABLE CMS feature...

This software has SHREDDED my website. That is my point. Why couldn't there have been an effort to absorb and wrap our sites instead of utterly destroying them to give us this 'Connect' ?

Well, anyway... this IS the feedback forum. And for whatever it is worth - it is my opinion Lynne. So great, I'll read the tutorials and start 'building' my site - AGAIN. I'm a casual end user here. I don't WANT to do this everytime you guys want to give us the 'latest and greatest'. I can't imagine anyone else in my position wanting to either. It's supposed to be an upgrade to the same friggin' software, for crying out loud !! IMO, we shouldn't HAVE to be doing this.

I'm not mad, just frustrated - and I do feel a little snookered. I think others will too.

Comment

• oldz442
          • Apr 2012

Αlpha Beta ooh ahh Alpha Beta ooh ahh

- - - Updated - - -

WWWBoard is looking sooo much better than usual. LOL
          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• vijayninel
            • Mar 2009
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Bluetiereign
            This software has SHREDDED my website. That is my point. Why couldn't there have been an effort to absorb and wrap our sites instead of utterly destroying them to give us this 'Connect' ?
            It is clearly mentioned that vB5 is not recommended for live sites. If you check the demo then you will notice there are substantial differences between vB3/4 and vB5.
            www.erodov.com :cool:

Comment

• Xaron
              • Sep 2006

Well... I have to agree to Bluetiereign.
              For me beta means feature complete and fixing of remaining bugs. I simply can't believe that vb5 is really considered beta...

Comment

• soniceffect
                • Feb 2005
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Bluetiereign
                This software has SHREDDED my website. That is my point.
                How exactly has it shredded your site? You said you havent upgraded your live site (nor should you do so in beta anyway), so Im a little lost by this.
                Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• cazink
                  • Sep 2012

well to all, i am a new user and after spending two days figuring out the config files and then trying to get the software to work. well.....once it worked then it stopped then a another reinstall then it does not work anymore. and then i find that the calendar is not in this version. granted i am a newbie to the forum software arena, but not since the early days of dos have i seen a piece of software that you need kid gloves to install and get working, which i haven't as of yet. as the someone said beta, well in this state no software should be allowed out of the house until..... what would happen if you took the cake out of the oven and served it to your customers before it was done????????

Comment

• rexxxy
                    • Feb 2010
                    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by soniceffect
                    How exactly has it shredded your site? You said you havent upgraded your live site (nor should you do so in beta anyway), so Im a little lost by this.
                    every one keep throwing the word around "its beta" ..."its beta"

Beta

Beta (named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet) is the software development phase following alpha. It generally begins when the software is feature complete. Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release and this is typically the first time that the software is available outside of the organization that developed it.

Comment

• soniceffect
                      • Feb 2005
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by rexxxy

Beta

Beta (named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet) is the software development phase following alpha. It generally begins when the software is feature complete. Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release and this is typically the first time that the software is available outside of the organization that developed it.
                      May be mistaken here, but you seem to have answered a completely different question to the one i asked.

Comment

• In Omnibus
                        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by rexxxy

Beta

gen·er·al·ly

   [jen-er-uh-lee]

adverb 1. usually; commonly; ordinarily:

2. with respect to the larger part:

Not to be confused with universally:

u·ni·ver·sal·ly

   [yoo-nuh-vur-suh-lee]
                        adverb 1. in a universal manner; in every instance or place; without exception.

Can we stop with the pedantics and the pedagoguery?

Unless you used the product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling, which reads "Do not use on a live production site" there is no possible way in which it has "shredded" your site.

That is the question being asked. Did you use the product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling?

Comment

• mudmanc4
                          • Mar 2010
                          • 4.1.x

The same thing was done with version 4 , and that was called a 'gold' release , which never really left the stages of beta in my opinions.

And true, if time was spent on developing the existing software, instead of re writing everything so drastically each major 'update' , VB would be rockin ! Instead all standard logic is tossed to the wind , in favor of drawing in new customers to a slow steady fail.

Slow , too many images, terrible CSS, too much emphasis on 'other' sites , such as social networks , instead of what people want to create, all we get is a 'suite' that 'likes' and 'follows' what a couple social networking devs have lumped together. Sad.

Comment

• soniceffect
                            • Feb 2005
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by mudmanc4
                            all we get is a 'suite' that 'likes' and 'follows'
                            And custom search modules, and the ability to create new pages, and the ability to change navigation with permissions, and the ability to show photos in a new/better way, and a decent framework for addon developers, and the ability to fully switch on and switch of different elements of every page, and the ability to add adverts wherever we like rather than being static, and the ability to switch sidebar for side to side, or indeed get rid of it without any coding knowlege, and a much better (long overdue) revamp of the pm area, and a decent set of notifications. I know I know, its terrible. However its only a beta

Comment

• AlexanderT
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by soniceffect
                              And custom search modules, and the ability to create new pages, and the ability to change navigation with permissions, and the ability to show photos in a new/better way, and a decent framework for addon developers, and the ability to fully switch on and switch of different elements of every page, and the ability to add adverts wherever we like rather than being static, and the ability to switch sidebar for side to side, or indeed get rid of it without any coding knowlege, and a much better (long overdue) revamp of the pm area, and a decent set of notifications. I know I know, its terrible. However its only a beta
                              Aside the revamp of the PM you didn't name a single improvement let alone new feature related to the core of the product: the forum.

Comment