X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vijayninel
    • Mar 2009
    • 3.8.x

Problems With Page Navigation and Link Sharing on vB5

Hi, I faced a few issues regarding page navigation and link sharing while using the vB5 demo and wanted to discuss them. Please excuse me if this has already been posted.

1. I am unable to use the browser back or forward buttons on a multiple page thread. For instance if I try to go back from the second page to the first page then ti goes off the whole thread. The browser back and forward buttons are used by many people to navigate on a site and people expect this to be work.

2. I cant open a specific page of a multiple page thread in a new tab. There are times when one wants to open multiple pages on a thread in different tabs. For instance if I want to open page number 3 of a thread in a new tab while keeping page number 2 open - how do I do it? there is no link to page number 3 that I can center-click and open in a new tab.

3. Navigating between long multiple pages difficult: In long threads with multiple posts it becomes difficult to go back and froth between multiple pages in a thread without manually typing the page number. There is direct link to page 8 from page 2. You either have to type it or click the pagenav button several times.

4. No link to specific page in search/forumdisplay. Supposing I want to go specifically to page number 2 from search or forumdisplay I cant do that now - I have to go to the first page and then to the second page. This is a step backward from vB3/4.

5. No specific page or post URL: All pages in a multiple page thread have the same URL and there are no post URL links. example: http://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/for...ou-like-to-see Supposing I want to share page no2 of a thread with someone then there is no link to page no2 you have to go to the first page and then to the second page. Sometimes one wishes to share specific posts and there is no post link visible either though it seems to be visible on search engines.
    www.erodov.com :cool:
  • waldvb
    • Apr 2012

As a visitor (not administrator) I can say - Navigation on VB - this is a HORROR. This is one big mess. In main navbar - there is HOME link. And below there is a Directory link - Directory of what? Just rename it to forum. Because this is a forum!!!

Blog looks like forum - it is terrible. A lot of work to do.
    www.wood-furniture.biz/forums/

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by waldvb
      As a visitor (not administrator) I can say - Navigation on VB - this is a HORROR. This is one big mess. In main navbar - there is HOME link. And below there is a Directory link - Directory of what? Just rename it to forum. Because this is a forum!!!

Blog looks like forum - it is terrible. A lot of work to do.
      These are actually completely different issues and unrelated to the ones in the first post.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment