X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Solitaire
    • Oct 2010
    • 4.0.x

Originally posted by djbaxter
    We're never going back to vB3 and if that's what you want perhaps you should be looking at Xenforo.
    ROTFLMAO! Finally! Thank you!
    Vote for my suggestions here and here

Comment

• Sushubh
      • Apr 2007

I am perhaps one of the many people here who have played around with XenForo (I have a paid license). I have used it extensively and sorry to say I do not like it that much. vBulletin might have its flaws but it is still a very mature product in comparison. XenForo of course is getting a lot of love online as I see it being used on a lot of forums I frequent these days. But it is not for me. I like a bunch of new things that vB is trying to do with vB5. But some of the things are indeed worrying... A dedicated thread where developers say that JavaScript support is a must for literally everything on vB5... And of course the awful performance that I am seeing on my own test vB5 install. I am hoping that as we reach the first stable build, most of these issues would be resolved. Another major problem is of course vBSEO. I remember reading a post that the developers had access to the under development code and they are indeed working on an update that would support vB5. I hope that is true because vBSEO still offers a lot of fixes that vB5 does not include.

Comment

• djbaxter
        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Sushubh
        But some of the things are indeed worrying... A dedicated thread where developers say that JavaScript support is a must for literally everything on vB5...
        Many or most features on vB4 and even vB3 also require javascript as do many other types of sites. All modern browsers support javascript. Why does this worry you?

Originally posted by Sushubh
        Another major problem is of course vBSEO. I remember reading a post that the developers had access to the under development code and they are indeed working on an update that would support vB5. I hope that is true because vBSEO still offers a lot of fixes that vB5 does not include.
        vBSEO has stated that they are indeed working on an update for vB5: see http://www.vbseo.com/f5/vbseo-3-6-0-...tml#post333925
        Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
        Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

Comment

• Sushubh
          • Apr 2007

accessibility? i myself surf most of the time with javascript disabled in opera. 90% of the web works just fine. vb4 works just fine with javascript disabled. i am talking about basic features like reading posts, responding to posts. vb5 in its current form does not even allow that because of all the ajax stuff.

and as they are discussing in that other thread, a user interface powered by ajax would cause issues with search engine indexing. google can handle basic javascipt and ajax. but it does not really help the cause. even twitter gave up on ajax after using it for a year. gmail (even google+) might be all ajax but it does have a perfectly fine version that works on basic html browsers. i am not a hater of technology. i love ajax powered interfaces which saves on loading time. but there has to be a fallback solution that support basic functionality (account creation, login, logout, reading posts, responding to posts, browsing the forum/community).

yeah i know about that post. but they have been largely silent otherwise. no update for vb4 edition in a loooong time! it's a miracle that it still works as well it does.

Comment

• djbaxter
            • Aug 2006

A lot of features don't work very well or as intended with javascript disabled in vB4. In my FAQ and Privacy statements, I warn users that they will limit usability by disabling javascript. I don't think most users even know how to disable javascript and I can't think of any good reason for doing that.

As for Ajax causing issues with search engine indexing, that's based on misinformation. Bing and Google have no problems indexing Ajax-enabled pages - does anyone really care about other search engines, even assuming it's an issue for them?

As for vBSEO, all of its features work perfectly well for vB4 so why would they update it? Obviously, vB5 will require an update and as they have stated they are already working on it.

Comment

• Sushubh
              • Apr 2007

google indexing of a thread with three pages...

right now, vbulletin is not linking permalinks of individual posts. google is somehow finding tons of internal links and indexing them. it should technically restrict the search results to just three individual pages of the thread. if this is how it would be for the stable edition, there is going to be lot of issues related to duplicate content, duplicate title and so on.

again, i understand that this is just beta and the developers would probably fix a lot of things that should resolve this problem. but right now? ajax is not helping much when it comes to search engine indexing.

Comment

• djbaxter
                • Aug 2006

Clearly it's not HURTING indexing by your own example.

Comment

• Sushubh
                  • Apr 2007

40 search results for three pages? titles are common for individual posts and comments (throughout the forum!):

post - vBulletin
                  Comment - vBulletin
                  and these post ends up linking to the thread page. i do not see how it can be considered as good indexing considering google is treating individual posts in a thread as an independent web page. also, me as a user cannot even link to individual posts in a thread right now. individual posts needs to be relative links not absolute links like google is treating them here.

again. i am not an expert in seo. but these search results are a collasal mess for someone searching through the forum. titles needs to be descriptive. a thread should only have individual pages indexed. i have no clue if vB5 is handling canonical links properly or not. and if they are planning to add support for micro-formats now that they are accepted by all the popular search engines.

Comment

• djbaxter
                    • Aug 2006

The point is that search engines do not have trouble indexing these pages. There may be a problem with how they are indexed, yes, but this is still a beta version after all and that demo may still be the alpha version for all I know.

Comment

• slinky
                      • Mar 2001
                      • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Paul M
                      No, Im talking about YOU, and your endless quest to rant on about IB and the past in every thread you can find.
                      I guess your own forum must be doing spectacularly well since you obviously have so much free time to spend here ranting on about the same old thing again, and again.
                      Im sure that even if you wildest predictions and desires came true, and everyone left, you would still be here going on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on ....
                      After a day of silence you had to come back to throw kerosene on the fire. Two harmless sentences sent you and the dwindling group of usual cheerleaders into the free game of "flog the customer" because you decide who does and doesn't get banned.

FYI, periodically I must return here to the forum to discover critical information that should have been honestly disclosed to customers. Thanks to the latest and stupidest fraud and/or incompetence that I have seen in a long time, I'm in the process of moving all my sites off of vBulletin. Even VB staff are confused by this embarrassing fiasco. VB5's technical disaster aside (that I didn't even discuss or "rant" about), this latest act that significant affects my forums was the clincher. I'll have plenty of time soon to be productive and not waste it on issues like this.

Originally posted by Fortforum
                      I had very high hopes for vb4, but i was disapointed, so i know what you are talking about. I know all about waiting for updates and such, but i skipped vb 4 early in the process for reasons stated earlier in this thread. First, it´s hard to point out the feeling of a software, but with this i get a good one.
                      Thanks for the comment - and yes, that's all I addressed. Good to know that you've kept an eye on things during that time. My apologies in what happened in this thread - I never expected two harmless sentences to set the usual crusading cheerleaders into endless rants about things that never took place here and I tried to put an end to it swiftly. But remember, they have their own agendas. Some of these sycophants are foolishly hoping IB might buy out their middling forums for a financial windfall and others are hoping to call themselves staff soon.

Like yourself, I was hoping that my VB 3 investment had somewhere to go. I looked at VB 5, which I haven't even criticized, and had serious concerns beyond the endless torrent of negative comments about VB5 from others. While I too like to trust my "feelings" I've taken a look at some facts and items you should think about before introducing your clients to VB 5.

VB 5 License: Did you realize that VB 5 doesn't allow you to transfer your license? Worse, read the terms that made their way into the fine print and you'll discover that you cannot change the domain of your VB 5 license unless you (i) obtain written approval from vBSI/IB, and (ii) pay them some as yet undisclosed fee. Most companies will reasonably disclose this to customers up front about major licensing changes like this. The perpetrator of the ranting here, djbaxter, was hysterical and uniformed in finding out this fact about the VB 5 license.

VB 4-5 / Facebook App Privacy Concerns: Buying VB 5 means getting the Facebook App. A simple, reasonable question was asked of IB - what does and has IB been doing with the data collected via the Facebook apps? I and others found the thread disturbing, a failure to provide any reasonable answer after 2 weeks and counting. There is no privacy policy that I can see that applies either with regard to all the sensitive information that is passed to IB from your customer forums in providing you this "service." Take a look at the vBulletin.com Facebook App page -- as of two weeks ago I still didn't recall seeing any privacy policy at all. <Paul quickly types off a message to the legal department?> So what was done with the huge amount of FB info you just sent to vBulletin.com about yourself, your friends, etc.? This kind of incompetence leaves me with no confidence in the product or whatever excuse may make it here claiming that nobody can prove that anything nefarious actually happened.

Anyways, best of luck to you. I didn't care to expound this greatly but some here keep alluding to rants about the past. I came back here to look at the future. After a major 11 year investment in vBulletin, I have substantive reasons for leaving, not merely emotional. Thanks for the comment, I don't expect to continue the conversation here nor in the forum much longer.
                      My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

• djbaxter
                        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by slinky
                        I'm in the process of moving all my sites off of vBulletin.
                        But you still had to return to announce your departure?

remember, they have their own agendas. Some of these sycophants are foolishly hoping IB might buy out their middling forums for a financial windfall and others are hoping to call themselves staff soon.
                        I thought the word of the day was "fanboys"? Either way, your assertion that we're are looking to sell our forums to IB or anyone else, or that we're hoping to become staff (really? and have to put up with the sort of nonsense you spout? I don't think so) is beyond ludicrous.

I was hoping that my VB 3 investment had somewhere to go
                        You could still use your old vB3 license you know.

I don't expect to continue the conversation here nor in the forum much longer.
                        Thank you. That will be sincerely appreciated.

Comment

• slinky
                          • Mar 2001
                          • 1.1.x

I thought the word of the day was "fanboys"? Either way, your assertion that we're are looking to sell our forums to IB or anyone else, or that we're hoping to become staff (really? and have to put up with the sort of nonsense you spout? I don't think so) is beyond ludicrous.
                          I didn't say I was talking about you specifically. Unless you know everyone well, you should quit using the word "we." The only thing "ludicrous" is someone who scolds others as if he is authority and isn't even aware of the basics.

You could still use your old vB3 license you know.
                          More complete rubbish from you. You don't know. The only solution to the problem made available by IB is to buy VB5 to get later releases of VB3. It's disgraceful for IB to have forced customers to buy a full product upgrade to a long dead product instead of reasonably accommodating them. It would have been no sweat to have made the ancient VB 3 upgrades available at a reasonable cost. Hence you see a lot of well earned venom from many customers.

You should never have seized upon two harmless sentences in the attempt to be a wiseguy. You've needlessly caused a firestorm and continue to derail this thread with meaningless comments full of misinformation that indicate you're the last person people here should go to for facts. I propose you end the crusade and just drop it.
                          Last edited by slinky; Wed 26 Sep '12, 9:35pm.
                          My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

• soniceffect
                            • Feb 2005
                            • 4.2.X

Slinky, honest question. Why are you here? I have seen people say "oh we should be able to say xyz" and thats quite correct, however what on earth is the idea behind coming onto a topic where someone is happy with the product and trying to destroy the reputation of it with them also.

Suppose I should state the below save you trying to "convert" me,

30 day ticket support - I can honestly say I have used vbulletin since early 3 and I have used ticket support maybe 2-3 times since then. Therefore doesnt bother me.

Licence transfer - Im actually in the EU so could do so, however would have to pay for it. well it involves admin at the end of the day so fair enough.

Domain change - Im pretty sure that by giving you the ability to change it in your panel that is vbuletin giving you permission, however doesnt bother me either way

Slowness - This is being addressed and Im confident it will be sorted

Messy CSS - Im aware of this and its in Jira being address. Im condifent it will be

VB Facebook Privacy concerns - Im assuming you have never read facebooks terms, so you carry on asking questions and enjoy yourself.
                            Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• Fortforum
                              • Oct 2009
                              • 3.8.x

VB 5 License: Did you realize that VB 5 doesn't allow you to transfer your license? Worse, read the terms that made their way into the fine print and you'll discover that you cannot change the domain of your VB 5 license unless you (i) obtain written approval from vBSI/IB, and (ii) pay them some as yet undisclosed fee. Most companies will reasonably disclose this to customers up front about major licensing changes like this.
                              This is a problem, but as stated, it´s not about the software. I want to do the right thing, but this is not what i expected, to be honest. A simple changeover in the customer details should do it, and im confident that is what it will be in the end.

About facebook, my users tend not to like the bridge to fb, very few have used it, and it seems that people are kind of reluctant to use it. They just don´t want there forum life to be associated with there fb life, and i can appreciate that.

Futhermore, i still havn´t figured out why you feel the need of using such strong language when expressing your feelings on vb5. You talk about an "embarrassing fiasco" and a "technical disaster". I think it´s way to early to judge, and personaly i wouldn´t do that until all the facts are in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2011-01-19-14h13m32s118.png
Views:	1
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	3690425

Comment

• rexxxy
                                • Feb 2010
                                • 4.2.X

vb 5 - the base of the modern community

Y'all leave slinky alone. He invest more money in vbulletin than some of the people complaining about him expressing his views.

So because you're in the EU and it doesn't apply to you it's oh well who cares? So Because your members don't like FB and his does means he's not suppose to care about privacy concerns?

Comment