X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fortforum
    • Oct 2009
    • 3.8.x

vb 5 - the base of the modern community

I got myself a vb 5 license. I installed it, and the whole process took me about 20 mins. It was a hazzle free download, installation and setup.

I have seen many threads here talking vb5 down, but i must counter that. The concept of vb5 is different from what i´v seen before. It´s different from vb4, xf, ipb, phpbb. But it is to the better. Ok, this product is in beta, we have all heard that, and i just can´t belive people are even trying to upgrade live boards at this stage.

I like vb 5 already. A bunch of stuff needs to be completed ofcourse, as it´s obviously missing, but there is a huge potential here. Was this lisence to expensive? No, because we are paying for the finalized product, and while waiting for it, we can familiarize ourselvs with the new concept.

To me, this approach has worked perfectly. I like vb 5 already, and as i skipped the vb 4 gen, im realy looking forward to upgrade all my boards to vb5. So to all pessimists here, i say that we should keep our spirits up, and wait. This will be a great product. And in the meantime, we have time to master sitebuilder. What a great feature! I helped me to get vb look just the way i wanted it to. I did´t lioke the subforums that was default under the Forum tab. I little sitebuilder magic did the trick.

There are a few boards out there, but face it: vb is the king of forums!
  • Janmaat
    • Mar 2008

Sure you've downloaded the right software?

Comment

• Fortforum
      • Oct 2009
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Janmaat
      I guess you think you are beeing smart now? Just give me ONE example of something that you think is substandard for a beta, claimed to be a beta and nothing else?

Comment

• Yves R.
        vBulletin QA
        • Nov 2003
        • 5.6.X

Originally posted by Janmaat
        It's not because YOU don't like it others must not like it.

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

• slinky
          • Mar 2001
          • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Fortforum
          To me, this approach has worked perfectly. I like vb 5 already, and as i skipped the vb 4 gen, im realy looking forward to upgrade all my boards to vb5. So to all pessimists here, i say that we should keep our spirits up, and wait.
          So you skipped VB4 and your chance to witness what vBulletin development and business practices have been for the past 3 years. Every "pessimist" has a reason for why they feel and also knows what it means to wait. You'll also learn what the word "soon" means too.
          My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

• djbaxter
            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by slinky
            Every "pessimist" has a reason for why they feel and also knows what it means to wait.
            I would have used the word "cynic" but apart from that have you ever considered that those who not as categorically anti-vBulletin as you may also have "a reason for that they feel"? It appears that anyone who still sees vbulletin in more positive terms is immediately labeled by you and your kind as a blind "fanboy" or delusional.
            Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
            Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

Comment

• slinky
              • Mar 2001
              • 1.1.x

Originally posted by djbaxter
              I would have used the word "cynic" but apart from that have you ever considered that those who not as categorically anti-vBulletin as you may also have "a reason for that they feel"? It appears that anyone who still sees vbulletin in more positive terms is immediately labeled by you and your kind as a blind "fanboy" or delusional.
              He can feel whatever he wants. If purchasing and installing vB5 is the highlight of his entire life, so be it. My point mostly addressed his telling others how to feel -- such as customers who experienced the disaster that he deliberately avoided. It's really easy to be giddy when you weren't dragged through the poop.

Speaking of considering, have you ever considered why there are so many customers who seem to be "anti-vBulletin" and how/why they became that way? Have you considered that they have a right to say how they feel too?

I haven't labeled anyone as anything. So what is "my kind" exactly?

Comment

• Sushubh
                • Apr 2007

personally i very much like the comment feature. it really solves a major issue for me on my board. quotes. i was hoping that vb5 would have a user tagging system (paid addons are available for vb4) which would let users respond to a query in a quoted post. but comments solve that feature but letting a person comment on a post inside the post itself. it makes for a more connected conversation on the forum. this feature alone makes me wait for the stable build to release so that i can work on upgrading to vb5!

Comment

• Ramsesx
                  • Aug 2005
                  • 3.8.x

He can feel whatever he wants.
                  And that's the point. I don't like vB5 too but there is no need to rant in all possible threads like you're doing it now. We're all mature guys with no need to get converted to anything.

Comment

• Ace
                    • Apr 2004
                    • 4.2.X

So you skipped VB4 and your chance to witness what vBulletin development and business practices have been for the past 3 years.
                    How does that relate to the good experience they have had with vB5? Why should they change their mind about that software because you feel aggrieved by the actions of years before it?
                    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• slinky
                      • Mar 2001
                      • 1.1.x

Originally posted by djbaxter
                      Originally posted by Ramsesx
                      And that's the point. I don't like vB5 too but there is no need to rant in all possible threads like you're doing it now. We're all mature guys with no need to get converted to anything.
                      Originally posted by Ace
                      How does that relate to the good experience they have had with vB5? Why should they change their mind about that software because you feel aggrieved by the actions of years before it?
                      Ace - exactly my point. I never mentioned one word about the OP's good experience with VB5. He's loving it, playing around with it makes him happy, that's all good. All I addressed was his specific comment addressing VB 4 owners and pointing out that he spent 3 years avoiding that which he seems to call mere pessimism. That's it.

djbaxter has been following me around the forum obsessively as if he's the VB public relations police. Do a search on his latest posts and it seems that I'm in good company. If he wants to call himself a fanboy, that's fine and perhaps it's a guilty conscience. Never came from me.

Whatever... never intended this to go so far off track and it shouldn't have. Glad to hear the OP is having fun and point made about VB 4 owners.

Comment

• Fortforum
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 3.8.x

Whatever... never intended this to go so far off track and it shouldn't have. Glad to hear the OP is having fun and point made about VB 4 owners.
                        Reason i skipped vb4 was that vb3 was alright, and got the job done. And to a large extent that is valid still today. The boards had non compatible skins, a lot of the mods was incompatible as well. The amount of work upgrading was just too much at the time. Now i think we have maximized our vb 3 setups, and we are ready to move on.

Im not saying i will convert on gold, hell i might wait a year. That is, however, not the point. The point is that this early release gives us time. This time can be consumed in many ways. Whining, complaining and writing long articles about crappy code is one. Moving to different software is another.

For my part, im taking the time to see what vb5 can do for me. It took me about a year to fully understand vb 3. You can call me stupid, but this is pro software and if not a year, i expect a learning process of about 6 months. I owe this to the clients. There community experience is top priority to me and my crew.

Comment

• Paul M
                          Former Lead Developer
                          vB.Com & vB.Org
                          • Sep 2004

<another anti IB rant>
                          Another thread you have managed to de-rail.
                          Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• djbaxter
                            • Aug 2006

djbaxter has been following me around the forum obsessively as if he's the VB public relations police.
                            What a joke. I'm not "following" you anywhere. But as others have pointed out it's hard to open up a thread about vB5 here lately without you chiming in with your repetitive anti-vBulletin diatribes like some zealot howling in the streets.
                            Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
                            Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

Comment

• slinky
                              • Mar 2001
                              • 1.1.x

<another anti IB rant>
                              Originally posted by Paul M
                              Another thread you have managed to de-rail.
                              You must be talking about yourself. There is no purpose to your post except to manipulate a quote and make 100% sure the train is derailed and pushed well off the tracks. Kudos.

Comment