X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ace
    • Apr 2004
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by slinky
    Glad to hear the OP is having fun and point made about VB 4 owners.
    What point is that?

I own several vB4 licenses, and I can't see a single thing he's said that would cause any offense whatsoever.
    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• slinky
      • Mar 2001
      • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Ace
      What point is that?
      I own several vB4 licenses, and I can't see a single thing he's said that would cause any offense whatsoever.
      Good heavens... nobody took offense and I'm not offended at all. This entire event was caused by a major over production by djbaxter. He lives for this. Here's a sample of the first page of his latest posts, another thread I can't quote - doing a fabulous job as the public relations policeman.

Originally posted by djbaxter
      That's because he IS a moody teenager, 14 if I recall correctly from posts elsewhere.
      Next, we learn that your site is apparently banned although it is unclear where or by whom - the domain you post can't be found in the DNS system:
      I have no idea what it is you're doing but it's starting to look suspicious and shady.
      Already answered above and quoted by you. This **** is spread all over New Posts and Activity Stream.
      But really i don't know why I bothered other than sheer frustration. People like you will go on and on, thread after thread, page after page, repeating the same crap ad nauseum.
      Enjoy. I'll go back to trying to ignore you.
      Was a minor comment that djbaxter seized upon and blew it far out of proportion. Nothing else to comment about. No need to pile on.
      My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

• Paul M
        Former Lead Developer
        vB.Com & vB.Org
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by slinky
        You must be talking about yourself.
        No, Im talking about YOU, and your endless quest to rant on about IB and the past in every thread you can find.

I guess your own forum must be doing spectacularly well since you obviously have so much free time to spend here ranting on about the same old thing again, and again.

Im sure that even if you wildest predictions and desires came true, and everyone left, you would still be here going on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on ....
        Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• joeychgo
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Paul M
          No, Im talking about YOU, and your endless quest to rant on about IB and the past in every thread you can find.

I guess your own forum must be doing spectacularly well since you obviously have so much free time to spend here ranting on about the same old thing again, and again.

Im sure that even if you wildest predictions and desires came true, and everyone left, you would still be here going on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on ....

Paul.... Your my hero....
          Building my Automotive Forum Network...
          Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum - Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum

Comment

• Super Cat
            • Jan 2005
            • 4.2.X

I see vB5 of being something that could be very good working with it. But as of right now there is lots of work needs to be done. I'm loving all the features, I just wish some were working as they should. But I'm not complaining because this is a beta. I just wish two things were fix with next beta release. Styles var for header and body background. It is slow but I sure it will be fixed. So far it has problems but you can see the problems are no where near what we went through with vB4.0 even with this being beta. But CMS isn't involved in this build yet.

Comment

• soniceffect
              • Feb 2005
              • 4.2.X

Why on earth people feel the need to jump on every thread where someone posts a positive experience is beyond me. Its just ludicrous. If you wanna rant, so be it, do it in your own topics! I too had a bad experience with vbulletin 4, I too have problems with bits of vb5. The only difference is I dont act like a child constantly sayin "Are we there yet?, are we there yet?, are we there yet?, are we there yet?". Paul couldnt be more correct with the "on and on and on and on" statement. VB4 was released terribly, get over it.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Fortforum
              I got myself a vb 5 license. I installed it, and the whole process took me about 20 mins. It was a hazzle free download, installation and setup.

I have seen many threads here talking vb5 down, but i must counter that. The concept of vb5 is different from what i´v seen before. It´s different from vb4, xf, ipb, phpbb. But it is to the better. Ok, this product is in beta, we have all heard that, and i just can´t belive people are even trying to upgrade live boards at this stage.

I like vb 5 already. A bunch of stuff needs to be completed ofcourse, as it´s obviously missing, but there is a huge potential here. Was this lisence to expensive? No, because we are paying for the finalized product, and while waiting for it, we can familiarize ourselvs with the new concept.

To me, this approach has worked perfectly. I like vb 5 already, and as i skipped the vb 4 gen, im realy looking forward to upgrade all my boards to vb5. So to all pessimists here, i say that we should keep our spirits up, and wait. This will be a great product. And in the meantime, we have time to master sitebuilder. What a great feature! I helped me to get vb look just the way i wanted it to. I did´t lioke the subforums that was default under the Forum tab. I little sitebuilder magic did the trick.

There are a few boards out there, but face it: vb is the king of forums!
              Thankyou for sharing your experience. Im sure many do appreciate the feedback and others your point of view on the software.
              Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• rexxxy
                • Feb 2010
                • 4.2.X

Just my observation; you all complain about some one jumping on every thread about some one talking positive however you all jump on every thread when someone is expressing their feelings and experience.

In other words you all are doing the same thing too.

While you're having a good experience I am happy for you however the challenge is for some of us is that we've heard the wait for the final product speech before. thus causing a lack of trust on us(customers) side in believing that IB will deliver a final product in a timely manner.

Being that I haven't purchase a VB5 License could you elaborate on some of the features that you like and that is different from other software maybe you could sell me on it to peak my interest to purchase a license.

Comment

• Super Cat
                  • Jan 2005
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by rexxxy
                  Just my observation; you all complain about some one jumping on every thread about some one talking positive however you all jump on every thread when someone is expressing their feelings and experience.

While you're having a good experience I am happy for you however the challenge is for some of us is that we've heard the wait for the final product speech before. thus causing a lack of trust on us(customers) side in believing that IB will deliver a final product in a timely manner.

Being that I haven't purchase a VB5 License could you elaborate on some of the features that you like and that is different from other software maybe you could sell me on it to peak my interest to purchase a license.
                  Other than some problems I know will be or can be fixed before release, vb 5 has a much better feel than 4.0 did. All the stuff they have already pointed out with Site Builder Blog really feels better than what you've read. The comment inside a post will be good for some and not for others. With most of the styling you can stay out of Admincp.
                  I wasn't going to jump at vB5 but I have a forum that was just sitting there not being used so I decided to load the beta up and just go live. It is only live because there is nothing to lose. For a new install you can't go wrong. For an existing forum, you will have plenty of work in front of you. I would say there is half the styles var, at least it seems that way. There is so much change that I feel out of place. But there is so much the same that I feel comfortable. It just will take time to get use to it.

Comment

• soniceffect
                    • Feb 2005
                    • 4.2.X

The difference is that we are actually trying to answer legitimate concerns about the product, answering specific things. Whereas most of these are practically calling people dilusional simply because they like something you do not. Comments like "Have you actually seen it" and "are you looking at the same thing I am" which have been seen floating about are hardly even close to the comments in negative topics. One is trying to inject some positivity into the forum and the other negativity. And Im sorry but I for one find it rather childish. There are people on here who do not like the product (scott for one example) who put his views across in a constructive manor, do not jump all over people giving positive people as if there is something wrong with them.
                    Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• joeychgo
                      • Mar 2004

The other difference is that some people feel it necessary to jump in every thread and regurgitate the same complaints over and over again. The positive comments tend to get posted only once.
                      Building my Automotive Forum Network...
                      Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum - Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum

Comment

• Fortforum
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 3.8.x

I had very high hopes for vb4, but i was disapointed, so i know what you are talking about. I know all about waiting for updates and such, but i skipped vb 4 early in the process for reasons stated earlier in this thread. First, it´s hard to point out the feeling of a software, but with this i get a good one.

Features i like:

Sitebuilder gives you freedrom to create whatever pages you like. It works with modules, and i expect these modules to come in plenty in the finalized product, and also as add-ons.

Hooks system has a different setup, and plug-ins now install automatically.

PM system is changed. The old system was bulky, and i think they adressed that.

Admincp is very much the same, but has a new fresh feeling to it. Better layout.

Navbar is very easy to customize. Needed plugins before, no need for that now.

Media uploading works like a charm!

These are a few things i´ve noticed so far. Please note that i don´t use blogs, as to me, thay have no place with a discussion based community.

I expect more to come online soon. My biggest concerns are performance and friendlu url´s.

Comment

• oldz442
                          • Apr 2012

cookeeeeee
                          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• ascott
                            • May 2009
                            • 4.2.X

If you don't like vB5 then gripe in the correct place, move on or get over it and concentrate on helping getting it to a place where you want it to be.
                            Sick herein about the same old complaints, I know it's a public forum but it doesn't do anyone any good.

The support team must have the patience of a saint
                            Canon Fodder Forums

Comment

• rexxxy
                              • Feb 2010
                              • 4.2.X

vb 5 - the base of the modern community

However if people didn't care they wouldn't complain. Overtime when the complaining dwindle its means either the product has improved or they moved on and the product is dying.

In addition no one (developer/project manager) is addressing the concerns that some of the customers are voicing like how Allen did when he took over vb4 and turn it around. Most upper management has gone silent.

I expected and wanted vb5 to be a lot better than it is (yes I know it's in beta).

1. To me it seem so plane and basic, too basic looking

2. The blog just look blah out the box (might have good functionality)

Comment

• djbaxter
                                • Aug 2006

However if people didn't care they wouldn't complain. Overtime when the complaining dwindle its means either the product has improved or they moved on and the product is dying.
                                I don't see anyone saying people don't have the right to complain about features not working, features missing, erratic performance, excessive database queries, pricing structure, or even the general look and feel of the new product, etc.

But say it once and move on. Nobody needs to read the same complaint over and over from the same individuals who reputedly have already decided they're not going to upgrade. Your decision, your choice, your opinion: Post the opinion and move on.

Many of us are browsing these threads looking for information about vB5 and user-experience reactions to the alpha and beta versions from people who have actually purchased and installed the product. It's intensely irritating to find every thread dominated by disgruntled individuals who either want to return to vB3 or who just want to post hate messages about how bad things are since IB bought vB. We're never going back to vB3 and if that's what you want perhaps you should be looking at Xenforo.
                                Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
                                Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

Comment