Has search been re-written? Sphinx?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xlguy
    • Jan 2002

As the OP I just wanted to say thanks for the last two vB posts. Good to hear it's not a "sorry, we're not looking at it" and I'm also fully aware that you need an out of the box, built-in, solution for smaller clients.
    xlguy

Comment

• digitalpoint
      • Mar 2004
      • 4.1.x

I have not ruled out the possibility of making a Sphinx search for vB5. But at this point I don't have a copy of vB5, so I can't even see if it's possible.

That being said, if I do make a search system for vB5, it would be purely to make money, not because I needed it for my own site... so it would cost more than the $25 "token" cost I have now.

It would also depend on how many large sites actually migrate to vB5 that would need it. Not going to be worth the time to build it if the potential customers needing it is too low. Once enough big sites are live on vB5 and are needing something to replace search, I'll look into it a bit.
      Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
      Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• janslu
        • May 2006

Thank you Shawn - as I'm gathering all pros and cons of the few options I have ahead, this is an extremely important piece of information. I rely on your extension and my forum wouldn't work without it. Let's wait for the vb5 beta 12 and first speed improvements. We'll get to search engine problem only after the vb5 forum itself starts working.

Comment

• dethfire
          • Mar 2003
          • 3.8.x

Most of my users just search my site via Google. Search MUST be improved.
          http://www.physicsforums.com

Comment

• hqarrse
            • Mar 2010
            • 4.1.x

This is a very valid point. While I can work without or modify most of the modifications I have, I simply cannot switch without Sphinx or comparable performance from a native system
            VB 4.1.9 on the Army Rumour Service
            VBSEO 3.6.0
            CentOS 5.6 / Slackware 12

Comment

• warlord0
              • Apr 2012
              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by janslu
              Thank you Shawn - as I'm gathering all pros and cons of the few options I have ahead, this is an extremely important piece of information. I rely on your extension and my forum wouldn't work without it. Let's wait for the vb5 beta 12 and first speed improvements. We'll get to search engine problem only after the vb5 forum itself starts working.
              Originally posted by hqarrse
              This is a very valid point. While I can work without or modify most of the modifications I have, I simply cannot switch without Sphinx or comparable performance from a native system
              100% this and this.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...