I bought it and I'm happy with my purchase.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kirk Fitzgerald
    • Apr 2012
    • 4.2.x

Originally posted by cam2
    I have to say vBulletin has taken huge leap in the right direction as far as forum software goes. We all know it's buggy and a bit slow right now but they are onto something with the vB5. I look forward to the GOLD release and using it in a live environment. Keep up the good work vB.

Trevor, thank you for your assistance with the initial setup.
    Hiya Cam2,
    great to see good things being said of vB5, I wonder could you tell me, does the Javascript lag behind as much on your own installation as it does on the demo, I am very excited about vB5 but the Javascript lagging is a worry, but I don't know if it's just how IB has their installation set-up or if it's just how it is with vB5 just now.
    sigpic

Comment

• oldz442
      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by beishe8
      Well those show a certain sense of style.
      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• napy8gen
        • Jul 2001
        • 6.X

Originally posted by ernestdefoe
        Well I have to say as well I am impressed by vB5 so far. Wasn't a big fan of vB4 and have been using the competition for awhile. After seeing initial screenshots and now the demo of vB5 I have to say that IB may be on to something. Let's just hope they deliver on the GOLD version when it's released. I sure hope so cause there is promise that's for sure.
        Me too. vb4 is like vb3 just without the tables. but vb5 is something else.
        Get Our vbulletin 6 themes

Comment

• soniceffect
          • Feb 2005
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by napy8gen

Me too. vb4 is like vb3 just without the tables. but vb5 is something else.
          Thats actually the main thing i like. It just feels new whereas vb4 feels old and looks it IMO
          Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• cam2
            • Jul 2006
            • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Kirk Fitzgerald
            Hiya Cam2,
            great to see good things being said of vB5, I wonder could you tell me, does the Javascript lag behind as much on your own installation as it does on the demo, I am very excited about vB5 but the Javascript lagging is a worry, but I don't know if it's just how IB has their installation set-up or if it's just how it is with vB5 just now.
            It is twice as fast as the vB demo site.

Currently running XenForo, knee jerk to vB4 release. I'm back home, can't wait for vB5 GOLD release.

Comment

• OhioDave
              Banned
              • Jul 2012

I've been playing with a clients demo, and really it isn't as mad as everyone is making it out to be. Still lots of room and time for improvement, I'd reserve final judgement for 5.0 gold.

Comment

• socceronly
                • Nov 2009
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by OhioDave
                I've been playing with a clients demo, and really it isn't as mad as everyone is making it out to be. Still lots of room and time for improvement, I'd reserve final judgement for 5.0 gold.
                I demand that you immediately stop being reasonable.
                Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

• whitetigergrowl
                  • Jun 2004
                  • 5.1.x

Its funny how the more things change, the more they stay the same.

VB4 is announced to be coming out, people are optimistic. VB4 has no demo until its almost a riot. Demo comes out, people riot. Its horribly buggy. Some are still optimistic. VB 4 reaches 4.2 status years later and is finally more stable and usable albeit still missing things previously promised. VB 5 is announced. People are optimistic. Demo comes out, it's a riot. It's horribly buggy. Some are still optimistic although there are features that will still be missing after it goes gold. VB 5.2 comes out years from now and is finally more stable and has many of the talked about features mentioned during launch. VB 6 is announced. Rinse and repeat.

Comment

• soniceffect
                    • Feb 2005
                    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by whitetigergrowl
                    Its funny how the more things change, the more they stay the same.

VB4 is announced to be coming out, people are optimistic. VB4 has no demo until its almost a riot. Demo comes out, people riot. Its horribly buggy. Some are still optimistic. VB 4 reaches 4.2 status years later and is finally more stable and usable albeit still missing things previously promised. VB 5 is announced. People are optimistic. Demo comes out, it's a riot. It's horribly buggy. Some are still optimistic although there are features that will still be missing after it goes gold. VB 5.2 comes out years from now and is finally more stable and has many of the talked about features mentioned during launch. VB 6 is announced. Rinse and repeat.
                    Ingenious, we have a fortune teller on our hands....... Watch out lads

Comment

• whitetigergrowl
                      • Jun 2004
                      • 5.1.x

Originally posted by soniceffect
                      Nope. Just history repeating itself.

VB 5 still has a long way to go even after its gold. Features still need to be added then bugs fixed from those features being added. It's pretty obvious that once those features get added more bugs will pop up from their inclusion. Look at how long it took for VB 4 to become a fairly stable product and that wasn't with a plethora of features being added. YEARS. Just in time for VB 5.

VB 5 has more features than VB4. Which in theory doesn't mean less bugs or problems. The more you add, the more problems and bugs that tend to come from them being added. If history proves as a guide, VB 6 will be announced and launch around the time VB5 starts to stabilize unless IB/VB change their launch dates and time frames, which is unlikely.

Around the time VB 5 is considered stabilized in 2-3 years watch for a large sale from IB for VB5 to push the last big rush of VB 5 software before VB6 is announced and launched about 3 months later. Just like they did for VB 4 in April/May this year. Most of what they are doing now is an almost exact repeat of what they did with VB4.

Comment

• Deimos
                        • Oct 2002
                        • 3.8.x

Whitetiger is right, VB5 is far from a beta product, it's mid Alpha, if anything.
                        The fact they're calling it beta 10-13 at such an early stage, is proof enough history IS repeating itself. (Heh, not to mention it's actually up for sale in this state, lol)

Comment

• goldenbrown
                          • Aug 2012

Why would I want to buy now and hope for the best of fortunes in the future?

Comment

• soniceffect
                            • Feb 2005
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by goldenbrown
                            Why would I want to buy now and hope for the best of fortunes in the future?
                            How is that even remotely related to what I said? I was stating that the person above me has said basically what will happen with vb5. Therefore must be a fortune teller.

As for your question, as unrelated as it is I will answer it. The answer is you may not. Not everyone will, however some (myself included) have done so in buying a beta product. Im not sayin its for everyone.

Comment

• whitetigergrowl
                              • Jun 2004
                              • 5.1.x

How is that even remotely related to what I said? I was stating that the person above me has said basically what will happen with vb5. Therefore must be a fortune teller.

As for your question, as unrelated as it is I will answer it. The answer is you may not. Not everyone will, however some (myself included) have done so in buying a beta product. Im not sayin its for everyone.
                              Again, no. VBulletin/IB is more of a business now than when it was owned by Jelsoft. Most anything done from VB 4 going forward is done more with profits, schedules, deadlines, etc in mind.

Even though it likely will not be mentioned officially on the forums, in all likelihood once VB 5 goes gold they will have a rough idea of when they want VB 6 to start to be ready for announcement and launch. Unless their timetable with VB 5 is different than VB 4 (highly unlikely), or there is another issue that delays it, look at when VB 4 was announced and made available for download/testing by the public. How many years has it been and when was it available? Then figure that from now to the same number of years from now. It's also no coincidence in both VB 4 and VB 5 cases, promos and the launches took place around the same time of year.

It doesn't take a fortune teller to figure out obvious things. Especially if there is a pattern or a method to the madness. And especially when its business driven.

IB is not Jelsoft. The same rules do not and have not applied.

It took 3 years to go from VB 4 to VB 5. I would be very surprised if VB 6 did not arrive in the next 3-4 years. I suspect we'll hear and see it in 3 years though.

My strong hunch based on past and recent behavior is that in Sept 2015 (2016 being the latest) VB 6 will be launched publicly as an alpha or beta. (Most likely beta.) Just like with VB 4 and VB 5 a promotion with discount will be run for a month or 2, and I wouldn't be surprised by a price increase of some kind. And in Dec. 2015 it will go gold.

It's a business. It has a pattern and method for what they do to try and maximize profit and make shareholders happy, even if it doesn't make you happy. Thus also some of their more controversial decisions like with Adsense.

Fact is it doesn't take a fortune teller. It just takes common sense.

Comment

• soniceffect
                                • Feb 2005
                                • 4.2.X

Completely agree scott.

What i do find comical is people seem to be answering statements with completely unrelated answers. Am i missing something?

Comment