I bought it and I'm happy with my purchase.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sadiq6210
    • Jun 2004
    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by beishe8
    Even if I "Gave it up for vB 5." ?
    Signature test :)

Comment

• beishe8
      • Oct 2005
      • 4.2.X

vBulletin 4 Publishing Suite - You will maintain access to Expedited Ticket Support under the License Agreement for your software.
      The point I'm looking for is missing:
      Did you upgrade your vB 4 Suite licence to vB 5 connect?
      #1 Ex vBulletin 4 Publishing Suite licence owners who upgraded to vB 5 Connect - You will maintain access to Expedited Ticket Support under the License Agreement for your software.
      or
      #2 Ex vBulletin 4 Publishing Suite licence owners who upgraded to vB 5 Connect - You have signed a new agreement without reading it properly, forget about the vB 4 Suite licence agreement.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

it is quite clear....

If you use vBulletin 4, you get support under the vBulletin 4 license.

If you use vBulletin 5, you get support under the vBulletin 5 license.

If you upgrade your vBulletin 4 license to vBulletin 5 and use vBulletin 5, you will get support under the vBulletin 5 license.

Since no one should be using vBulletin 5 on their live site, this isn't even an issue right now.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Hall of Famer
          • Apr 2009
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by pokesph
          while vb5 does have a future (once it actually works and is feature complete) it's best use will be on a new site and not as an upgrade to an existing forum. Its just to different then what most of our users are used to. We'll be exploring its use for some more social based sites our clients want to develop.
          Well VB's focus has always been on new customers, same story here as it was when VB4 was released. Just by looking at how nonexistent the difference in upgrading price and purchasing price and you will understand why.

Comment

• lovefords
            • Nov 2008

I don't think a customer should be expected to buy something with the condition that you have to see through bugs. I will check back in six or seven months when a stable release is on the horizon. This whole thing sounds like Groundhog Day starring vB4.
            You can pay more...but you can't buy better than the Ford.

Comment

• jdj
              • Jan 2009
              • 5.1.x

True, but....

Originally posted by lovefords
              I don't think a customer should be expected to buy something with the condition that you have to see through bugs. This whole thing sounds like
              Groundhog Day starring vB4.
              That's true but then nobody is expecting you to buy it,or me, or any other customer....it's a choice. I bought vB4 when it first came out and partly as a consequence of that experience was more wary about the Mobile Suite. In this case it's clearly described as a product in beta stages. For me, because I use vB4 successfully with the CMS and calendar the biggest problem is the absence of commonly used features in vB5 and no date for them becoming available so given that it is a choice it's very hard to decide right now whether it's a good choice or not.

I think the comments about it not being much of a discount for existing vB4 users are probably valid but in reality even on that issue I can't make an informed judgement: If the calendar and CMS replacement came out in a month and if it all worked I wouldn't be that unhappy.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by jdj
                I think the comments about it not being much of a discount for existing vB4 users are probably valid but in reality even on that issue I can't make an informed judgement: If the calendar and CMS replacement came out in a month and if it all worked I wouldn't be that unhappy.
                The pricing is a direct result of people "feeling pressured" to buy in the 4.X presale. We don't want you to feel pressured so there is a lot discount.

Calendar and CMS will not be released in a month after release. The Release Plans thread makes it fairly clear that they won't be added back in until a 5.1 release. It states within 4-6 weeks that a bugfix release will be made to clean things up and then we'll get on to adding back in features. The release plan was emailed to all customers on the mailing list as well as posted on these forums.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• woffie
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 4.0.x

I am hopeful that 5 will be good. I guess I won't know until I can test it out myself. The one thing I will say is that they have made it incredibly hard to install. If someone with as much experience as me is struggling to install it what are noobs going to do? I have been TRYING to install a test site ever since the beta was released. Still no luck. Just want to also add that when you release something, have current installation information in the download. I found out 2 days later about how to upgrade, too late then!

Comment

• jdj
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 5.1.x

And what's the release date for 5.1...?

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                    The pricing is a direct result of people "feeling pressured" to buy in the 4.X presale. We don't want you to feel pressured so there is a lot discount.

Calendar and CMS will not be released in a month after release. The Release Plans thread makes it fairly clear that they won't be added back in until a 5.1 release. It states within 4-6 weeks that a bugfix release will be made to clean things up and then we'll get on to adding back in features. The release plan was emailed to all customers on the mailing list as well as posted on these forums.
                    I haven't got a big problem with the pricing. I noticed that the email was pretty vague, so if you're a 4.2.0 release 2 customer who uses CMS and calendar it didn't help much.

So what's the release date for 5.1 then?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by jdj
                      So what's the release date for 5.1 then?
                      At least several months after the 5.0 release. How many months depends on the scope. We realize you can't upgrade until the CMS is added and do acknowledge that. That is why we sent out the Release Plans notifications so people would understand.

4.2.0 and the upcoming 4.2.1 will continue to serve your needs and when the CMS is ready for 5.X then we encourage you to explore your options and do what is best for your community at that time.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Ace
                        • Apr 2004
                        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by beishe8
                        Not your business.
                        I hope you put me on your ignore list.
                        Nah, I'd rather point out the flaws in your poorly-constructed logic/clarify for other people when you are deliberately distorting the truth, so they don't assume that the utter nonsense that you spew is actually correct.

So, you Upgraded, and expected to keep support as it was under the previous license. As it's none of my business, I'll just assume you failed to read the information provided.
                        My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• beishe8
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Ace
                          Nah, I'd rather point out the flaws in your poorly-constructed logic/clarify for other people when you are deliberately distorting the truth, so they don't assume that the utter nonsense that you spew is actually correct.

So, you Upgraded, and expected to keep support as it was under the previous license. As it's none of my business, I'll just assume you failed to read the information provided.
                          I ask you last to stop belittle me.
                          Last edited by beishe8; Fri 28 Sep '12, 2:41pm.

Comment

• oldz442
                            • Apr 2012

Give each other a cookie.
                            ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• Yves R.
                              vBulletin QA
                              • Nov 2003
                              • 5.6.X

Back on topic...

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

• beishe8
                                • Oct 2005
                                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by oldz442
                                Give each other a cookie.
                                Bon Appétit!

Comment