I bought it and I'm happy with my purchase.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cam2
    • Jul 2006
    • 5.3.x

I bought it and I'm happy with my purchase.

I have to say vBulletin has taken huge leap in the right direction as far as forum software goes. We all know it's buggy and a bit slow right now but they are onto something with the vB5. I look forward to the GOLD release and using it in a live environment. Keep up the good work vB.

Trevor, thank you for your assistance with the initial setup.
    Last edited by cam2; Fri 21 Sep '12, 4:27am.

Currently running XenForo, knee jerk to vB4 release. I'm back home, can't wait for vB5 GOLD release.
  • slinky
    • Mar 2001
    • 1.1.x

Originally posted by cam2
    I have to say vBulletin has taken huge leap in the right direction as far as forum software goes. We all know it's buggy and a bit slow right now but they are onto something with the vB5. I look forward to the GOLD release and using it in a live environment. Keep up the good work vB.
    So you bought the product. Are you using it on a live site?
    My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

• cam2
      • Jul 2006
      • 5.3.x

No, just testing now. Will not go live until gold.

Currently running XenForo, knee jerk to vB4 release. I'm back home, can't wait for vB5 GOLD release.

Comment

• jerde
        Banned
        • Jun 2010
        • 4.2.X

No, just testing now. Will not go live until gold.
        Good for you. But I'm not the type of guy to buy something before it's complete. I like to see if the paint job will look like **** or not.

Comment

• rexxxy
          • Feb 2010
          • 4.2.X

I'll check back with you in six months and see!!!

Comment

• soniceffect
            • Feb 2005
            • 4.2.X

Good to see Im not the only one who can see what the product will be like through the bugs
            Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• ascott
              • May 2009
              • 4.2.X

Purchased my upgrade as well, looking forward to getting stuck in as it grows.
              Canon Fodder Forums

Comment

• goxy63
                • Sep 2008

wait for 30 days and than upon some trouble you will be happy again I guess ROFLMAO
                Sorry'z all I just could not resist to say something like that....as you all know, if u upgrade from VB4 to VB5 you will get just 30days free ticket help, if you don't upgrade it's free for good...now how retarded is that?

Apologize for all who may be offended by this post
                That day when I upgrade to VB5 I will be high for sure, same as I am now

Comment

• ernestdefoe
                  • Dec 2002

Well I have to say as well I am impressed by vB5 so far. Wasn't a big fan of vB4 and have been using the competition for awhile. After seeing initial screenshots and now the demo of vB5 I have to say that IB may be on to something. Let's just hope they deliver on the GOLD version when it's released. I sure hope so cause there is promise that's for sure.

Comment

• pokesph
                    • Apr 2003

while vb5 does have a future (once it actually works and is feature complete) it's best use will be on a new site and not as an upgrade to an existing forum. Its just to different then what most of our users are used to. We'll be exploring its use for some more social based sites our clients want to develop.
                    Steve, Webmaster and Admin
                    www.pokecommunity.com

Comment

• ernestdefoe
                      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by pokesph
                      while vb5 does have a future (once it actually works and is feature complete) it's best use will be on a new site and not as an upgrade to an existing forum. Its just to different then what most of our users are used to. We'll be exploring its use for some more social based sites our clients want to develop.
                      I totally agree with you. It will be best used for a new site. I have used vB quite often in the past and this is a learning curve even for me that knows a little bit about forums and forum software having used most of the ones out there. Upgrading will just confuse most people as it has me at times......lol

Comment

• jdj
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 5.1.x

Originally posted by ernestdefoe
                        It will be best used for a new site. Upgrading will just confuse most people as it has me at times......lol
                        I'm using vB4 latest release. We use the forum, we use the blogs, we use the CMS for jobs/news/articles, and we use the calendar. We have tabs for news/jobs/calendar/forum/blogs so people can find the content they want.

I quite like the look of vB5 Connect, it's nice and clean, it promises to be optimised for mobile so that's good. If it's easier to style than vB4 was when it first came out, if it's better at handling pictures then that's great. But at the end of the day content is king and if we upgrade people are just going to go, "..where's the news section? Where did the jobs go? What happened to the calendar?"

Comment

• jdj
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 5.1.x

Originally posted by s.molinari
                          but what exactly is it that makes you like it? Cleaner looking? Better or newer features?
                          Can't help you much at the moment because without the (stream?) that takes the content in my vB4 CMS and displays it, and without the calendar, I can't actually test it.

In terms of what I like about the demos the assumption I'm making is that the clean look is about being easier to use on a hand-held mobile device, I'm also assuming that when it gets out of beta the "stripped down" version will work faster on a mobile device.

Beyond that, can't give you much feedback until calendar and whatever streams the CMS content turns up.

Comment

• soniceffect
                            • Feb 2005
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by s.molinari
                            I'd like to hear more specifics about what exactly is good or what is liked about vB5. There are a few customers writing threads about how they like it and that is good, but what exactly is it that makes you like it? Is it just because it is different? Cleaner looking? Better or newer features? Please be a little more specific. What is IB onto, that makes vB5 special? If IB can't explain it, maybe customers who like it can. I personally would like to also see vB5 from a different perspective and the good feedback isn't helping me.

Scott
                            Sounds a fair question to me.

Looks

I personally like the cleaner look of vb5. Although at the moment there are a million css classes (or seems like it lol) this is being worked on, however overall its a nicer base to start stying than that of vb4. vb4 I have always felt looks, well, old.

Site Builder

When you first start looking at the site builder its very alien to use, however once you have been playing with it for a while you realise it can actually make changing the structure and overall feel of your site very easy.

For example for myself I like the subscribed topics in a tab, however I dont want the activity feed there I want it in its own page on a separate tab. I can acheive this in only a couple of mins with site builder, and this is something that would take hours to change if the sitebuilder didnt exist.

Rearranging forums without going into the admincp, yeah ok its something small but its something small that saves me time and for that Im happy.

Moving bits above the sidebar with extreme ease, adding adverts in pretty much any area I want with relevant permissions attached. Again something which would have previously been a lot of messing around in templates and breaking things (usually quite successfully lol).

Adding and removing links from the navbar, with permissions. Again something which removes the need for me to go into the admincp and start messing with code. OK there was the navigation manager in 4.2 however certainly was not as simple and straight forward as the sitebuilder. Most people will not have a clue in 4.2 even how to keep the correct tabs highlighted at times.

Photo Display

OK this still needs some playin around with, however if you have a forum which is very photo orientated (for example I run a husky forum) then its very handy to be able to have that tab in some areas where people can see all the photos and easily get to the topic which contains them.

Editor

For me, I actually prefer the old editor I will be honest. However the feedback I have got from some of my less technical members is that it is easier. Now if that saves me questions every 2 seconds Im happy. I think for myself its something I just became so familiar with. The photo uploading however I very much like. Yeah this is one which is clearly facebook like, however in fairness facebook does have about the best photo uploading capability on the net for non-tech people. In my opinion that sort of thing should be replicated as it makes it more simple for the end user.

Private messages

The changes in the PM area to a more conversational view are far far far overdue IMO. The way it works in vb5 for me is just perfect. A simple conversation in a familiar fashion that I dont have to go back and look through what I said before etc.

Notifications

Again its about time the notifications were sorted and I feel they are here. With the exception of me getting notifications from myself (which is a reported bug) it does exactly what it is meant to do, in that it notifies me of things I ask it to (subscribed stuff).

Search Module

You can do all sorts with this module. Because its simply searching a criteria you enter and you can name it whatever you wish, it gives in endless possibilities.

Modules in general

The modules in general I feel will be great from an addon development point of view. It means there will be less questions on "how can I move it to xyz" as people can simply drag and drop them wherever they like, on whatever pages they like. Although I can see issues with performance on this if people start being silly with them. End of the day though thats nothing more than someone adding a silly amount of modifications to their site.

Will probably add more later, but in work at the moment. Dont get me wrong I have my own issues with vb5 and have mentioned them. Just not as negative about the final outcome as a lot of other people seem to be. And yes I remember vb4, I left vbulletin because of it.
                            Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• Ace
                              • Apr 2004
                              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by goxy63
                              wait for 30 days and than upon some trouble you will be happy again I guess ROFLMAO
                              Sorry'z all I just could not resist to say something like that....as you all know, if u upgrade from VB4 to VB5 you will get just 30days free ticket help, if you don't upgrade it's free for good...now how retarded is that?
                              Almost as retarded as telling somebody that if they upgrade to vB5, you just get 30 days free ticket support, without clarifying that this period of time begins once the software goes gold.
                              My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                              vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment