• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deimos
    • Oct 2002
    • 3.8.x

Was VB5 development outsourced?

Either some, or all?

Geniuinely curious, because some of the English used on the demo site seems, well "off". (Not saying my English skills are perfect mind you :P)

But It just feels like the product was rushed, then the developers here reassigned to clean up the bugs before the demo/beta was launched.
  • socceronly
    • Nov 2009
    • 3.8.x

The only thing that matters is the change over the next four to six weeks.
    Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

• Ace
      • Apr 2004
      • 4.2.X

I'm not 100% certain, but I think the answer is "No, it just happens that the IB Employee working on the vBulletin 5 project who added those phrases has a less than impeccable grasp of the English Language."

There's several developers for whom English is not their first language.

*edit* That may be why an entire Category was added in JIRA called "Typos".
      My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
      vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Deimos
        • Oct 2002
        • 3.8.x

Well language wasn't the main thing I was going to comment on, because as I said, I'm no English Major :P

But it just feels like the code was done on the cheap, then the developers here were reallocated to bring it up to scratch.

Comment

• digitalpoint
          • Mar 2004
          • 4.1.x

I'd assume that's not the case. Otherwise what have they been working on the last couple years?
          Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
          Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• Deimos
            • Oct 2002
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by digitalpoint
            I'd assume that's not the case. Otherwise what have they been working on the last couple years?
            Well that's what I'm wondering as well

Given that XF was created from scratch in less than 2 years, it, in many ways, is superior to VB5's demo and that was a much smaller team.

I can't believe they spent upto 2 years developing what we see in the demo.

Comment

• soniceffect
              • Feb 2005
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Deimos

Given that XF was created from scratch in less than 2 years, it, in many ways, is superior to VB5's demo and that was a much smaller team.

And doesnt have even half the functionality. I do wish people would stop the comparison.
              Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• digitalpoint
                • Mar 2004
                • 4.1.x

Comparing vB to *anything* really isn't terribly useful.

That being said, there's a lot of factors that go into it. A developer isn't a 1:1 ratio. There are usually diminishing returns as far as how much an individual developer can get done the more developers you have a on a project. You also have to factor in the overall environment. Corporate environments tend to like a lot of talking and meetings about how the "team" is going to tackle problems (non-corporate dev teams tend to do more doing, and less meetings in my experience). Plus I'm not saying anyone is a better/worse developer, but all developers are not created equal so it's not really fair to say 10 developers are twice as good as 5 (when I was developing accounting software for various industries, it was just me... a solo developer and all my competition had fairly large teams of developers (some as many as 75 developers), and in the end I could develop new stuff faster and higher quality because I wasn't bogged down by "corporateness". I'd much rather have one amazing developer doing stuff for me and pay them $250k/year than have 100 mediocre developers. You would get more done in the end at a higher quality.
                Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
                Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

Either some, or all?

Geniuinely curious, because some of the English used on the demo site seems, well "off". (Not saying my English skills are perfect mind you :P)

But It just feels like the product was rushed, then the developers here reassigned to clean up the bugs before the demo/beta was launched.
                  it was not outsourced.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment