• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lizard King
    Banned
    • Mar 2004
    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by s.molinari
    Do you mean rafio's post? Very sad indeed.

Scott
    Yes , i still can't believe how things ended regarding vBulletin 5. I have mix feelings . I am happy that i left vBSEO because i don't have to code anything for a disaster project like this. However i am sad because an amazing product we all admired vBulletin is slowly dying each other day.

Comment

• g00gl3r
      • Sep 2004
      • 3.5.x

This? - http://adminextra.com/threads/connec...e-4#post-52885

Comment

• janslu
        • May 2006

Originally posted by g00gl3r
        Thanks for the link. Doesn't make me any happier...

Comment

• Deimos
          • Oct 2002
          • 3.8.x

Yea, but is anyone really surprised? I mean really?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Deimos
            Yea, but is anyone really surprised? I mean really?
            The link would be more condemning if we ever said vBulletin 5 was a complete rewrite. It isn't and a lot of legacy code is maintained to maintain legacy structures. As more is rewritten more legacy code will be updated and other structures updated.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Deimos
              • Oct 2002
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              The link would be more condemning if we ever said vBulletin 5 was a complete rewrite. It isn't and a lot of legacy code is maintained to maintain legacy structures. As more is rewritten more legacy code will be updated and other structures updated.
              Something that probably should've been done before releasing any form of beta, let alone putting it up for sale.
              It's been a work in progress for presumably 2+ years, in all that time, very little seems to have been done and given the review linked above and various comments from professional coders here and elsewhere, it seems those 2 years have been a bit of a waste, to put it mildly.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Deimos
                Something that probably should've been done before releasing any form of beta, let alone putting it up for sale.
                It's been a work in progress for presumably 2+ years, in all that time, very little seems to have been done and given the review linked above and various comments from professional coders here and elsewhere, it seems those 2 years have been a bit of a waste, to put it mildly.
                Actually it was forked from vBulletin 4.1.5. vBulletin 4.1.5 was released on July 11th, 2011. So it hasn't been two years of actual development. Before that there would have been planning for wireframes, migration, etc...

However like I said, it was intended to be a 100% rewrite, the post would be more problematic but it wasn't intended to be so. Maybe 5.1 or 5.2 but not 5.0.

Anyway, doesn't really matter what I say. All you want to do is bash the company, product and people.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• slinky
                  • Mar 2001
                  • 1.1.x

Actually it was forked from vBulletin 4.1.5. vBulletin 4.1.5 was released on July 11th, 2011. So it hasn't been two years of actual development. Before that there would have been planning for wireframes, migration, etc...

However like I said, it was intended to be a 100% rewrite, the post would be more problematic but it wasn't intended to be so. Maybe 5.1 or 5.2 but not 5.0.

Anyway, doesn't really matter what I say. All you want to do is bash the company, product and people.
                  I haven't seen him bash the people at all. With regard to the product and the company, it is what it is. The company started working on it's next product when vBulletin was only at VB 4.1.5. That's practically right out of the starting gate. Why is that?
                  My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

Products should have an anticipated 18 - 24 month life cycle. That is all I know.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Deimos
                      • Oct 2002
                      • 3.8.x

When a company releases a product touted as the "Most powerful in the world" and the "premier platform to build on" and it's an inferior product compared to most, if not all products out there like it, then hell yes I'm going to bash it.

I'm sorry, but it's frustrating having used VB for 10-11 years, only for it to be dumped into the state it's in, ever since IB took over and changed things around.

If you don't want people bashing the product, then perhaps IB shouldn't be releasing such inferior, poorly made products and claiming them to be the best, it's insulting not only to the VB brand, but to customers who've used and recommended VB for so long.

And yes, I did recommend VB4, when it reached 4.2, but will no longer do so, given that the same mistakes, if not more, are being made with VB5.

Comment