Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pokesph
    • Apr 2003

Social Bookmarking replaced?

As Wayne stated in his missing features post, Social Bookmarking is To be replaced with AddThis.

Why?

We and many others I'm sure, prefer to have direct links to various social bookmarking sites so as to keep as much in-house as possible. (also privacy and 3rd party service concerns)

NOTE: AddThis website won't even load at this time.
    Steve, Webmaster and Admin
    www.pokecommunity.com
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Just what I was told. There is an addon at vBulletin.org to add some social bookmarking without AddThis.

Though a third-party site maintaining a list of "social" sites allows customers to easily add their current favorites. Support overhead for customers trying to add new sites or update old ones was costly with the old built-in system. At least when you compare it to supporting other functionality.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• pokesph
      • Apr 2003

yes, I'm familiar with how it works, its just we don't want our traffic running thru their 3rd party service, using their URL links, and prefer to manage and track on our own domain.

As long as we can add our own manually like in current versions, it is ok.
      www.pokecommunity.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by pokesph
        As long as we can add our own manually like in current versions, it is ok.
        It would require template edits or addons but you can add your own.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• pokesph
          • Apr 2003

thanks Wayne.
          www.pokecommunity.com

Comment

• Sushubh
            • Apr 2007

i really have no fondness for third party services like addthis which adds their own lag for sharing. i do not care about sharing on facebook. i just need sharing buttons for twitter and google+.

i really hope that it would be easy to replace addthis with my own code without hacking the templates.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Sushubh
              i really have no fondness for third party services like addthis which adds their own lag for sharing. i do not care about sharing on facebook. i just need sharing buttons for twitter and google+.

i really hope that it would be easy to replace addthis with my own code without hacking the templates.
              There is a mod that adds this over at vBulletin.org. As far as I know it is as simple as uploading the files and activating the product system. Extensions auto-install in vBulletin 5.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Sushubh
                • Apr 2007

oh there are add-ons for vb5 beta available! had no idea. thanks. in any case, i guess the site builder would let me place share buttons according to my requirements so that should work for me as well.

Comment

• mudmanc4
                  • Mar 2010
                  • 4.1.x

Gotta love it, already mods out for beta software. Tells us a couple of things.

Comment

• Mrdale96
                    • Feb 2005
                    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                    There is a mod that adds this over at vBulletin.org. As far as I know it is as simple as uploading the files and activating the product system. Extensions auto-install in vBulletin 5.
                    Except that the Add-On is very limited with where you can add the buttons, it's an option but BoP's newer version of this Mod is really a step backwards options wise. This really should be a built in function for VB.
                    Pittsburgh Sports Forum | http://www.pghsportsforum.com/forum
                    Twitter - @pghsportsforum
                    Facebook - www.facebook.com/pghsportsforum

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Mrdale96
                      Except that the Add-On is very limited with where you can add the buttons, it's an option but BoP's newer version of this Mod is really a step backwards options wise. This really should be a built in function for VB.
                      You're right it should and it should be returning. However I was providing an immediate workaround that works today. It is their choice to actually use it.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...