Will we see a vB5demo released using these forums as a base for the upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rudedog1968
    • Feb 2004
    • 3.8.x

Will we see a vB5demo released using these forums as a base for the upgrade?

It would be nice to see a more robust (content) demo using a current snapshot of database from these forums (latest possible). This would help everyone judge the new product and help see what it would look like, in the real world.

It would also be helpful to have a post with some background notes regarding any current issues with the update. Like time it took, how they think it would effect someone trying to do the same thing, what's gotten better and what is still need a look at under the hood (core code and upgrade script(s) ......

We could also compare speed, search and durability of said product from an apples to apples comparison and vB could show off why they feel their customers would want to upgrade.
    Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows
  • iyama
    • Dec 2009
    • 4.2.X

+1

If i buy a software product for my company, i'm able to see a demo of that.
    Even a look in the admin cp.

If vb make that possible i think that non vb users are more willing to use vb.
    And existing vb users maybe want to upgrade.

Buth i think its not good to see a naked vb5 on the demo for a couple of months.
    The primary elements of vBulletin 4.2 that will not be in the 5.0 version of vBulletin 5 Connect are CMS/article publishing, Mobile Suite, the Facebook app, paid subscriptions and non-English versions of the product. These components will be released as follows.
    Last edited by iyama; Mon 17 Sep '12, 11:55pm.
    VB The Next Social Media plugin!
    I don't buy VB5!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by rudedog1968
      It would be nice to see a more robust (content) demo using a current snapshot of database from these forums (latest possible). This would help everyone judge the new product and help see what it would look like, in the real world.

It would also be helpful to have a post with some background notes regarding any current issues with the update. Like time it took, how they think it would effect someone trying to do the same thing, what's gotten better and what is still need a look at under the hood (core code and upgrade script(s) ......

We could also compare speed, search and durability of said product from an apples to apples comparison and vB could show off why they feel their customers would want to upgrade.
      We will upgrade vBulletin.com/forums when we feel the software is ready for it. Right now in the current beta state, we recommend that customers use it for testing and not live sites. Upgrading vBulletin.com/forums at this time would not be appropriate.

I'll see if I can get a blog from the QA people testing the upgrades on the experience.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• rudedog1968
        • Feb 2004
        • 3.8.x

I mean using the database from these forums to update the beta forums, keeping these forums running the latest released version.

I understand you don't update production forums with beta software. I was just interested in seeing what vB5 looks like when updated with real data and content. As well as what issues you may see (at this time) during said update.

Sorry for the confusion.
        Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

The beta needs a bit of work still to run these forums. I thought that was apparent with the performance issues that we're working on.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• moltten
            • Dec 2010
            • 4.1.x

How long will it be, more or less, before we get a stable version that can run on a live forum? Any guidance will be helpful. :-)
            Robert Dave Johnston
            Fasting Coach
            Editor/Webmaster
            www.fitnessthroughfasting.com

Comment