X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IcEWoLF
    • Jul 2008
    • 4.1.x

Lets be honest here...

vBulletin 5 Connect is a nice product, of course there are still things that need to be done before it goes gold, but the product itself feels really nice.

One of my favorite parts of vBulletin 5 Connect is the attachment manager and also when you upload multiple pictures it's a dream!

I hope vBulletin comes up with a dedicated Gallery addon, it would be really neat.
    The 47 Ronin Gaming - www.47r-squad.com
  • Hall of Famer
    • Apr 2009
    • 3.8.x

Yeah I agree, you can see improvements of lots of existing features such as ACP and user system. The loading speed and some missing old features make people mad though, not mentioning how VB4 to VB5 upgrade price is still as much a joke as it was with VB3 to VB4's upgrade price.

Comment

• IcEWoLF
      • Jul 2008
      • 4.1.x

I am sure they will fix the amount of queries, the performance will be even better when the devs finish up polishing the product.
      The 47 Ronin Gaming - www.47r-squad.com

Comment

• manebe
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by IcEWoLF
        I hope vBulletin comes up with a dedicated Gallery addon, it would be really neat.
        Photo and video gallery are so important nowadays.

We do need:

A single pic URL where user are allowed to comment, as vB4 has (why would I loose this function from vB4?).

A system to categorize photos (pics categories).

A rating system in order user to rate pics.

1 year or two years waiting ?

In the meanwhile I will migrate to another board brand...

Comment

• DirtRider
          • Apr 2009
          • 4.2.X

Well so far I like the way the are starting to look at media and I agree a proper galley would be very nice to have

Comment

• Andy
            • Jan 2002
            • 4.1.x

Personally I don't use or like picture galleries. I prefer my members to posts pictures in a thread. Some of my members have thousands of pictures and they can be easily found using the search function. These picture threads are typically about a trip they went on and they explain pictures in detail using maps and other tools to describe the trip.

Comment

• zascok
              • Jul 2012
              • 3.8.x

Lets be honest here...

Lets be

1. All the things that has been announced as new feature has been already in the web for at list 2-3 years now.

Likes, Flags, etc is a copy of youtube , let's be honest not a good copy
              Avatars of the last user on forumhome is a copy of IPB
              Neted comments is a copy of FB

Scroling page, small icons, same layout for everything with same posbit_legacy (hey vB3 I missed you so much)

Ajax admin -panel has been in wordpress for at list 4 years! Drag and drop elements were in vBa for another 3 years
              etc... etc... etc...

Let's be honest when vB5 will be a ready product to use all that things will be outdated if not obsolete

Let's be honest vB was a leading software because was doing OWN things it's so obvious that I don't know how else to say. You do own thing you succeed or fail, you copy things from others you fail defiantly.

Here is another knowledge I would share for free, you want my money? Surprise me, sell it to me. At the moment all I see is a pure surrogate.
              Last edited by zascok; Mon 17 Sep '12, 6:31am.

Comment

• manebe
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Andy
                Personally I don't use or like picture galleries. I prefer my members to posts pictures in a thread. Some of my members have thousands of pictures and they can be easily found using the search function. These picture threads are typically about a trip they went on and they explain pictures in detail using maps and other tools to describe the trip.
                Agree, Andy, just want to say it depends from users and from industry you are in.
                My travel community need gallery because they want to be able to short-comment, not just uploading img or writing a post.

Originally posted by Andy
                Some of my members have thousands of pictures and they can be easily found using the search function.
                The down side is that search is charging your database, I would prefer to categorize and letting search as the last option.
                Should we wait 2 years to have a decent galleries on vB5 ?

Originally posted by zascok

Let's be honest when vB5 will be a ready product to use all that things will be outdated if not obsolete

Let's be honest vB was a leading software because was doing OWN things it's so obvious that I don't know how else to say. You do own thing you succeed or fail, you copy things from others you fail defiantly.
                100% agree, I am really afraid that is the next future for vBulletin

Comment

• soniceffect
                  • Feb 2005
                  • 4.2.X

I think vb5 will be a success tbh. Yeah it has its issues at present, however after playing with it for a while now Im actually beginning to like it.

As for the images thing, it really does depend on your site as specified above. My site being on the owners of siberian huskies is absolutely hammered full of images, and the new photos areas are going to be very well recieved once I do decide its time to update (albeit it will not be for a good while yet).
                  Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• DirtRider
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 4.2.X

Well if we are really going to be honest here I don't know what they were thinking even letting the public get a hint of what we seeing now. I was expecting this WOW I must have this factor but instead I am thinking the opposite

Comment

• zascok
                      • Jul 2012
                      • 3.8.x

IMO that is a good thing to show what they have made, I remember the times I was hunting vb3 Gamma to see what is it and how does it taste. But yes I agree antiWow it is. On the other hand I must admit I'm not sure that anyone who is responsible for this surrogate and those are not devs or testres, ever read this forum. So I'm done, no point really. I'll stick with vB4 for another year or so that will thing what to do next. It's just really hurts to thing I would have to move to another platform.

Originally posted by DirtRider
                      Well if we are really going to be honest here I don't know what they were thinking even letting the public get a hint of what we seeing now. I was expecting this WOW I must have this factor but instead I am thinking the opposite

Comment

• DirtRider
                        • Apr 2009
                        • 4.2.X

IMO that is a good thing to show what they have made, I remember the times I was hunting vb3 Gamma to see what is it and how does it taste. But yes I agree antiWow it is. On the other hand I must admit I'm not sure that anyone who is responsible for this surrogate and those are not devs or testres, ever read this forum. So I'm done, no point really. I'll stick with vB4 for another year or so that will thing what to do next. It's just really hurts to thing I would have to move to another platform.
                        Well I think I am in the same situation as what you are, we will just have to see what comes of all this in a few years I suppose

Comment

• aussiefooty
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 6.0.X

I am going to wait and see whether or not vB.com will start using the software. At the moment they are still using vB4. Even I am a little too unsure because vB.com aren't even using the software so that we all get a chance to have a feel for all of the changes.
                          Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                          Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• Fortforum
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by carntheroos4eva
                            I am going to wait and see whether or not vB.com will start using the software. At the moment they are still using vB4. Even I am a little too unsure because vB.com aren't even using the software so that we all get a chance to have a feel for all of the changes.
                            Maybe you missed that vb 5 is in beta mode. Any admin trying to upgrade at this point would have nervs of steel and/or be very foolish.

Comment

• alfanexus
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 5.5.x

Originally posted by IcEWoLF
                              You can have a dedicated gallery, if you create a channel and then only allow photoes it in

One way to do it is demoed here: http://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/for...um/photos-only

Comment