X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andy
    • Jan 2002
    • 4.1.x

Confused about sub-forums

When I go to the vb5 demo page and click the Forums tab, I get the following:

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	3724690

Why are the Main Forums identified as Sub-Forums? Also what do the number in the parenthesis indicate?
  • Qzaki
    • May 2011
    • 3.8.x

It's the new layout style :/

Comment

• soniceffect
      • Feb 2005
      • 4.2.X

This is because forums is actually a holder for the forums itself, and I agree its confusing. Hit the home tab which will take you back to directories. I believe this is something that has been brought up by a few people.
      Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• Andy
        • Jan 2002
        • 4.1.x

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds this confusing. Hopefully we will be able to get a forumhome display when we click the Forums tab.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

They are sub-forums of the Forum Channel. This channel is not shown on the main directory page though.

The Forum Home display you are looking for is seen on the HOME tab in the demo.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Andy
            • Jan 2002
            • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            They are sub-forums of the Forum Channel. This channel is not shown on the main directory page though.

Thank you Wayne.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the Forum Home display be shown when we click the Forums tab? The Home tab should display a page that explains the purpose of the website.

Comment

• Andy-V
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

I'm going to be honest, I find this utterly confusing. It seems the simple idea of forums with topics in is jumbled up and mashed together. The whole page at http://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/forum seems to be a strange mix of posts and forums that is hard to read.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Andy
                Wouldn't it make more sense to have the Forum Home display be shown when we click the Forums tab? The Home tab should display a page that explains the purpose of the website.
                No.... We've had this discussion before. We've decided that the Home page is the Forum Home for now. If you purchase the software and wish to make another page the Home page, even a custom one, then you can do so and we will tell you how. Very little is hardcoded in the layout of the site. We've set up the Demo in a way that many customers have used the software in the past.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Andy
                  • Jan 2002
                  • 4.1.x

Thanks Wayne, appreciate you explaining why.

It appears to be a catch-22. Some customers are used to having the word Forums be the Forum Home, while others use the word Home for the Forum Home.

Comment