Was the search rewritten or resued from vB4?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rudedog1968
    • Feb 2004
    • 3.8.x

Was the search rewritten or resued from vB4?

Seems the search is as terrible as vB4. Was it rewritten or is that part of the code that was reused?
    Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows
  • sadiq6210
    • Jun 2004
    • 3.6.x

Good question
    Me also, I want to read more about the difference in the search between vb4 & vb5

Will "digitapoint forum" need to use sphinx in VB5?
    Signature test :)

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

It was rewritten. It is a OR based relevant order search.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Andy
        • Jan 2002
        • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        It was rewritten. It is a OR based relevant order search.
        What does that mean?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

Actually, I had that backwards.. IT appears it does an AND first and you can specify OR. Relevancy is how relevant the content is to your post. Very similar to how Google runs searches.

From the search tips dialog on the Advanced Search Page:

Or Multiple Words
          What it does: searches for web pages that include either word
          What to type: vacation London OR Paris
          What you'll get: results with the word "vacation" and either "London" or "Paris"
          Excluded Words
          What it does: excludes search results with a particular word or phrase
          What to type: bass -fishing
          What you'll get: results about bass that are not related to fishing
          Seems to be a bug though - http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-4513
          Last edited by Wayne Luke; Sun 16 Sep '12, 6:30pm.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Andy
            • Jan 2002
            • 4.1.x

I assume the Search will again exclude several hundred words making it very limited as before.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

It excludes common words but you should be able to edit it easier than before.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• janslu
                • May 2006

And would it be possible to use Sphinx search out of the box? So far I found digitalpoint sphinx extension as the only way for a fast and resource light search engine for my 8 million+ posts board.

Comment

• George L
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • May 2000
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by janslu
                  And would it be possible to use Sphinx search out of the box? So far I found digitalpoint sphinx extension as the only way for a fast and resource light search engine for my 8 million+ posts board.
                  Unfortunately, AFAIK vb5 doesn't support sphinx, so unless Shawn updates his sphinx plugin, for larger forums you might want to stick with vB 4.2.x branch for now.
                  :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                  :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                  :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• sadiq6210
                    • Jun 2004
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by George L
                    Unfortunately, AFAIK vb5 doesn't support sphinx, so unless Shawn updates his sphinx plugin, for larger forums you might want to stick with vB 4.2.x branch for now.
                    Do you think we will need to use Sphinx with the new vb5 search engine?
                    OR
                    Did the new search function/method in vb5 solve the limitations of vb4 search for the larger forums?

Comment

• Ramsesx
                      • Aug 2005
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by sadiq6210
                      OR
                      Did the new search function/method in vb5 solve the limitations of vb4 search for the larger forums?
                      Didn't he answered this question with the last part of his post?

Comment

• sadiq6210
                        • Jun 2004
                        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Ramsesx
                        Didn't he answered this question with the last part of his post?
                        So we will wait Digitalpoint to update the sphinx plugin, after that we will update to vb5 and use the sphix again.
                        Am I right?

If yes, the what is the benefits from the new vb5 search engine?

Comment

• Ramsesx
                          • Aug 2005
                          • 3.8.x

So we will wait Digitalpoint to update the sphinx plugin, after that we will update to vb5 and use the sphix again.
                          Am I right?

If yes, the what is the benefits from the new vb5 search engine?
                          Based on the comments Shawn has made so far, I didn't expect him upgrading his site to 5 in the next couple of moths to say it very optimistic.
                          You need to ask him if he will upgrade the sphinx search for vB5.
                          But at all the search isn't really a priority right now isn't it?

Comment

• George L
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • May 2000
                            • 3.8.x

OR
                            I think from pure technical standpoint any sphinx based search would out perform pure mysql based server regardless of web application. I've seen first hand what Shawn's vB4 Sphinx search plugin can achieve performance wise as I personally have set it up for private clients of mine who purchased Shawn's plugin on many servers and does perform better than default vB4 search.

As to vB5 search still has outstanding bugs you can see listed in JIRA http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/...equestId=11359. As I'm not a developer, not sure how vB5 search fairs in comparison yet until the rest of the performance bugs are fixed.
                            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• digitalpoint
                              • Mar 2004
                              • 4.1.x

Just FYI - there won't be a Sphinx search for vB5 from me in the short-term. The Sphinx system I made was originally just for in-house use only (just for digitalpoint.com because we *needed* it), and vB5 isn't anywhere remotely to the point that I would consider migrating to vB5, so.

On top of it, I don't have access to vB5 so I can't even see how much work it would be to build one either way.
                              Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
                              Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment