Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dondino
    • Mar 2010

I am starting to like VB5 Connect!

I woke up this morning and the vB 5 demo page looks *strangely* fast and without apparent errors!
    for example FF used to give me a lot of issues in these past few days on demo page, but now not anymore... !
    in complex the new system looks very nice, using it while so smooth,
    with good simple style (probably so much easy to customize!), and most importantly very very easy to use... *this is what users want nowadays*!

by looking at things on a different perspective this is exactly the right road to follow, and i'm confident about actual development quality and bugs fixture!
    maybe who knows, before Sept ends, I will risk the money for the upgrade, just in case next year I will regret about not doing this
    surely, beginning today, after the first shocking days, i'm starting to appreciate what I see, and from this base i'm sure things can only go better!

suggestion: don't be always so negative, and give yourself some days to get used to the new system!
    finally something different than the usual boring forum systems!
    start asking yourself why more than 500 millions of users use FB daily, vB 5 will integrate and connect with it in the best way possible!
    Last edited by dondino; Sat 15 Sep '12, 2:48am. Reason: update
  • wave-rice
    • Feb 2011
    • 5.5.x

Glad to hear that you're starting to like vBulletin 5.
    Aakif Nazir

Comment

• asprens
      • Oct 2007
      • 4.2.X

interesting
      my big love kitabin

Comment

• Alfa1
        • Dec 2005
        • 3.8.x

Its still slow for me and loading a page first loads several variations of the page. I'm not feeling it yet. But none the less, I'm glad you do.
        I buy 420 forums

Comment

• hornstar6969
          • Aug 2005
          • 3.8.x

It is faster for me today, however still slow overall. I am also liking it more and more everyday and when the few really annoying bugs are gone and speed improves and they return the missing features, I believe vb5 will be a very good product.
          Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

Comment

• Yves R.
            vBulletin QA
            • Nov 2003
            • 5.6.X

The first time everyone see it, it makes the same feeling

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

• Qzaki
              • May 2011
              • 3.8.x

I believe if the right steps are taken in vb5 and the bugs are fixed it will be a great thing! I've been playing with mine and tweaking it

Comment

• motowebmaster
                • Mar 2006
                • 3.5.x

The demo is interesting, but the experience is strange. I've got a vb4 license that hasn't been used, but am not sure I'll make the leap to upgrade it before the end of the month.
                Shawn

Comment

• Ramsesx
                  • Aug 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Maybe I'll like it in 1 year. Only thing I like now is the option to see all pictures added in a forum, that's cool.

Comment

• Kuya
                    • Aug 2010
                    • 4.1.x

Personally, I like it. Sure, it is slow and buggy right now but I am sure that in a few months or sooner it will be a really nice piece of software.
                    British Filipino

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

It's getting a very bad reaction, but much of that is related to the speed and the odd way some of the pages load. There are open bugs for both these and, whilst I'm not privy to the company's development plans, I'm pretty sure these are being treated as a high priority.

I don't want to get flamed but there are a lot of good ideas in vB5. I personally love the way the photo manager works and I reckon this will come to be seen as a real, innovative feature that will get copied by others. That's just my view.

The style is also clean and uncluttered.

Of course, there's much work to be done to get the product where it needs to be. I remain genuinely confident that a decent product will emerge from this.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------
                      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• christ2000
                        • Jul 2009

In my test site run fast not delay, and yes has better option thant v4 , the problem for me is the drastic change of look, for a new site afther team fix the errors would be fine

Comment

• Mark.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by christ2000
                          In my test site run fast not delay, and yes has better option thant v4 , the problem for me is the drastic change of look, for a new site after team fix the errors would be fine
                          It's time we had a drastic change of look, I applaud many of the changes and even with the ones I don't like, I still applaud the fact they've given it such a radical visual makeover.

My sincere hope is they get most of the issues resolved and the product goes forward to become immensely successful. Because (1) The market needs it to and (2) It would be a fair outcome for the entire team (including us testers!) all of whom have gone beyond the call of duty to try and get this right.
                          MARK.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          ------------
                          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• christ2000
                            • Jul 2009

In my opinion the problem is vbulletin lose in this 5 version the Forum ambient, i think vbulletin was the best in forum, but when they try to change then BECOME weak on forum and there are in market best script for social network, if not why a blog in a forum? for me do the best forum ever and forget the rest, is the people want a social site install other scritp, but vbulletin keep with forum, add this change in v5 like videos upload, pictures and link to your same v4 forum and you will be the best forum script, when people read a forum , they dont want read a blog, or group, i have a social network script working in a site, but my site is just for videos, and in my forum and blogs nobody comment just in videos, so if you have a forum make a robust forum, in a forum just people that like read and write go, the others thing is waste of time

BE THE BEST IN YOUR STUFF NOT IN ALL STUFF
                            Last edited by christ2000; Sat 15 Sep '12, 5:03pm.

Comment

• whitetigergrowl
                              • Jun 2004
                              • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                              It's time we had a drastic change of look, I applaud many of the changes and even with the ones I don't like, I still applaud the fact they've given it such a radical visual makeover.

My sincere hope is they get most of the issues resolved and the product goes forward to become immensely successful. Because (1) The market needs it to and (2) It would be a fair outcome for the entire team (including us testers!) all of whom have gone beyond the call of duty to try and get this right.
                              Doing radical things has its time and place I guess. But it really is a gamble. Especially in the forum and business world. If admins/owners implement it on their forum and its too radical and alienates members, it could come at the cost of some forums. People HATE change. Especially radical change. VB5 is almost the counter to VB 3 and 4.

Problem is even after all the playing I've done with VB5, it really doesn't seem to have a clear direction of what its trying to be or accomplish. Visit different forums (IPB, Burning Board, Xenforo, etc.) then go back to VB5. Those companies all have more clear directions with their forum software.

VB 5 I'm not so sure it does. Is it a forum software? Is it trying to be a Facebook type forum? Is it trying to be both? Is it trying to be something completely different? I still haven't figured it out.

After playing with it, to me it still feels counter-intuitive. Like a stripped down VB4/Xenforo combo. Its weird and I still can't say its all good. There are a few nice things about it but that could be said with most any forum software.

Until the forum software is actually to where it's supposed to be in terms of features and their capabilities and are actually be able to be used (with everything including the CMS implemented fully), it's almost impossible to come up with a reasonable or informative judgment on VB5. It's all pure speculation at this point.

Maybe some forum owners should have their members look at the beta and see what they think and get their feedback and post it here.

Right now though, I'm simply not impressed and I've tried to give the benefit of the doubt. It's at this point nowhere near the cost they are asking for it, let alone to upgrade with or without a discount. There are just as good if not better solutions out there that cost less.

We'll see where things go. But right now, I can't justify the cost nor a reason to get VB5. Especially since right now you would be paying for features you can't see and use to see if its worth the cost. Let alone aren't guaranteed you will get. Or that if you do that the aren't what you thought they would be.

I'll keep watching. But I'm simply not impressed right now. It just doesn't have the same VBulletin feel and feeling of quality like in the past. Its alienated me a bit I know that much.

Comment