X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hornstar6969
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.8.x

vb5 not so bad as first thought

Finally testing vb5 demo on the PC (as on the mobile it just crashes).

1. Attachment manager in the sig area– 1000 times better than vb4. However I can’t see this used anywhere else
      * Although I didn’t like being told my image was too big after it got to the end of the upload. It should have told me at the start.
      * I also feel it would have been better to start auto uploading the images instead of waiting for me to press start upload on the image or button.
    2. Sigs, I like the way you can now easily upload an attachment from the sig overlay that I clicked on. However I didn’t like being told I had no permission for images once I went through the whole process. It should have told me to begin with. Also after removing the image, I still get the error: Error saving signature: no_permission_images (But there is no image!)
    3. Profile customization – Feels a lot better to the last time I tested it. I like how you don’t have to upload an image else where, you can do it from the one page.
    4. In profile page, when changing date of birth, if you put the wrong date, it gives you an error on a new page with no styling, just a white page with : Error reported:
      You have entered an invalid birthday.
      Back to Settings
    5. At the top it shows HOME BLOGS PROFILE GROUPS almost everywhere except when you are on HOME, it only shows HOME BLOGS GROUPS. Is this as designed? It feels like it should be showing profile as well when on home. (actually looks like the login bug)
    6. I like the way you can login or signup at the top, and I like the menu at the top better than vb4. However I noticed there was no check box to check if you would like emails from the admin/members.
    7. As long as I can change the wording from Channels to Forums I think that may help transition me from vb3 to vb5. I just am not sold on the word channels, it is too big of a change for me lol.
    8. Bug on posts: it says · Posts: 11 However I Just posted my first post.
    9. There needs to be a limit on how longs status messages can be, as I just posted a massive one and destroyed the page.
    10. The footer in the profile is behind the visitor message box.
    11. I just wrote 2 visitor messages and a post on the forums, however it is saying No activity results to display
    12. I just noticed you can vote in a poll in the search results page. That is kinda cool ^^ However if there is more than 4 poll choices, the vote now and view poll results button overlap the poll in the search results.
    13. It says hornstar is offline, when I am infact online and posting.
    14. It said I had 4 new Messages, than I click on the 4, and it took me to my privatemessages page, where there is none. There is no new notification. There is no new request. There is no new message. Strange that it said I had 4 new a second ago.
    15. I clicked on Sub-Channel 1, and it is listing about 5 Topics, however down the bottom it says No topics found.
    16. The only place I see videos is in my profile, everywhere else I only see a Photos tab with no videos tab option.
    17. I have to keep logging in. even with remember me ticked, it is not, and I have to retype my user and pass when I click back to Home after being to Private Messages.
    18. There is no way to minimize the sidebar.
    19. Everything is so slow. This is the biggest let down for me.
    20. I can’t work out how to upload attachments in a post. I can only upload photos. There is also no video button or attachment button.
    21. I also love the way you can add a profile image and have it resized and choose the part of the photo.

Overall I like what I see, and will be keeping an eye on progress. I have not given up on vb5 yet. As long as the speed problem goes away, the bugs get cleaned up and the missing features come back, I will be looking at upgrading my big board to vb5. Some big hopes there, however vb5 does have some nice new modern features.
    Last edited by hornstar6969; Fri 14 Sep '12, 4:37pm.
    Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

• Solitaire
    • Oct 2010
    • 4.0.x

Videos automatically embed, but yea, that is confusing if you don't know that right off the bat.
    Vote for my suggestions here and here

Comment

Thanks for the update Hornstar...

Comment

• Allen Lin
        Former vB4 Project Manager
        • Apr 2009

Content updates take approximately 5 minutes to show in the Activity Stream due to cache settings.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Thanks for the feedback. Some of your issues are known and already logged in JIRA.

4 and 6 should be reported as bugs. 18 is an improvement request

For 16 you would link videos on the Add Link tab of the content entry.

19 is being worked on more heavily now.

20, go to the Advanced Editor tab and click on "Additional Options"

21, this is a fairly nice feature and will help a lot of people out I think.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• hornstar6969
            • Aug 2005
            • 3.8.x

4. http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-4483
            6. http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-4484
            18. http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-4485

It took me forever to find the Additional Options button in the advanced editor lol. I think it would be better to just have the Upload Attachments button shown by default. What would I log that as?

I love the attachment manager in vb5 so much more compared to vb4. vb4 was horrible.
            Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

Comment

• Super Cat
              • Jan 2005
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              For 16 you would link videos on the Add Link tab of the content entry.

If we put a video in our root folder could we then link to it and it would show video. Or do we still have to link to something like you tube. Can we now put all video from different site in links or are we restricted to certain sites like You Tube, Hulu and others as before..

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Super Cat
                If we put a video in our root folder could we then link to it and it would show video. Or do we still have to link to something like you tube. Can we now put all video from different site in links or are we restricted to certain sites like You Tube, Hulu and others as before..
                You can still only link to videos and not truly embed them.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Solitaire
                  • Oct 2010
                  • 4.0.x

You can still only link to videos and not truly embed them.
                  Oh wow, thats not good.

I was able to do an embed with videos I hosted on my server before in 4.x. Will this feature be restored with article publishing?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Solitaire
                    I was able to do an embed with videos I hosted on my server before in 4.x. Will this feature be restored with article publishing?
                    Even in 4.X, we only supported linking/embedding videos from third-party sites. If you self-hosted them then you had to be using a third-party addon.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Solitaire
                      • Oct 2010
                      • 4.0.x

Even in 4.X, we only supported linking/embedding videos from third-party sites. If you self-hosted them then you had to be using a third-party addon.
                      It wasn't an add-on, I just used a .flv and html embed code inside the article.

edit: Oh wait, I do have a player installed on my server so I guess you can technically say that is use of an add-on.
                      Last edited by Solitaire; Sat 15 Sep '12, 8:54am.

Comment

• DecNetPHase4
                        • May 2008
                        • 3.6.x

Auto embed of You Tube videos to prevent member leakage would be sweet.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Solitaire
                          It wasn't an add-on, I just used a .flv and html embed code inside the article.

edit: Oh wait, I do have a player installed on my server so I guess you can technically say that is use of an add-on.
                          That should still work actually. Plus you have the ability to control who can use HTML per usergroup and on a channel (or forum if you will) by channel basis. Or you can use the static HTML modules on custom pages to do this.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Deverill
                            • Jan 2011
                            • 4.1.x

Is number 8 in the tracker as I had the issue. Started one thread and I suddenly had 18 posts!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

Yes... there are several JIRA issues related to counting posts. One of the issues is that channels are nodes. It isn't really counting posts, it is counting nodes. So the initial admin gets a few extra nodes added there.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment