Can't mark notifcation messages as read?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Solitaire
    • Oct 2010
    • 4.0.x

Can't mark notifcation messages as read?

So I have 3 message notifications. Likes and replies to posts I made. How come I can't mark them as read, and my only option is to delete? Maybe I just want to check back later to see what someone wrote or what post they liked. I should have that option too rather than just delete them or leave the angry red message notification at the top of my screen.
    Vote for my suggestions here and here
  • Deverill
    • Jan 2011
    • 4.1.x

Yeah I noticed that.

I also don't like how notifications from likes etc appear as a notification next to 'messages'. It's not a message it's a notification.

They should be separate.

I.e one which says messages for private messages/visitor messages and one for notifications for likes etc.

Comment

• Solitaire
      • Oct 2010
      • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Deverill
      Yeah I noticed that.

I also don't like how notifications from likes etc appear as a notification next to 'messages'. It's not a message it's a notification.

They should be separate.

I.e one which says messages for private messages/visitor messages and one for notifications for likes etc.
      Yup! It shouldn't say you have a private message when it is only a notification that someone either replied or liked a comment you made. There should be a separate distinction in the notification.

Comment

• Deverill
        • Jan 2011
        • 4.1.x

Yep indeed. I gave my self the like then when I logged back in I thought wtf? I never sent a message.

Its just confusing.

Comment

• Stallyon
          • Mar 2005
          • 4.2.X

I also can't find where to mark forums as read either. Can someone point that out to me?
          A computer without Microsoft Windows is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
          vBulletin user since March 2004, joined forum a year later, migration from vBulletin began April 2013. After 6 years of negativity, even old die-hard fans lose faith.

Comment

• captainslater
            • Jun 2006

Click on the Directory tab. You should find a link called "Mark Channels Read".
            To infinity and beyond!
            Deutschsprachige vBulletin News & Tipps
            captainslater
            - Eine vBulletin Cloud-Site

Comment

• Stallyon
              • Mar 2005
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Dominic
              Click on the Directory tab. You should find a link called "Mark Channels Read".
              I seen that on the home page, but what about under the main forum itself?
              A computer without Microsoft Windows is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
              vBulletin user since March 2004, joined forum a year later, migration from vBulletin began April 2013. After 6 years of negativity, even old die-hard fans lose faith.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Solitaire
                So I have 3 message notifications. Likes and replies to posts I made. How come I can't mark them as read, and my only option is to delete? Maybe I just want to check back later to see what someone wrote or what post they liked. I should have that option too rather than just delete them or leave the angry red message notification at the top of my screen.
                Deleting the notification deletes the notification. It should not remove the subscription to the item or prevent new notices from showing up.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Solitaire
                  • Oct 2010
                  • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                  Deleting the notification deletes the notification. It should not remove the subscription to the item or prevent new notices from showing up.
                  Understood, but when you are in a busy active forum and the thread is moving fast, its nice to have a link back to something to refer to without having to hunt through the thread for it. Like with reputations, I like being able to click on the link and be taken to the post that I was given rep on, then having the notice removed, but still having it listed in my settings for a time if I need to go back.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

Umm.. Yeah, the subscriptions page would serve that purpose correct? They are listed on your user profile.

Click image for larger version

Name:	subscriptions.png
Views:	1
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	3690309

What you're looking at with notifications is not your Settings Page in vBulletin 5.. Settings and Messages have been split and your Message Center only shows messages that need action.

Anyway, there is an addon that will be available to allow you to mark notices as read.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Solitaire
                      • Oct 2010
                      • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                      Umm.. Yeah, the subscriptions page would serve that purpose correct? They are listed on your user profile.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62086[/ATTACH]

What you're looking at with notifications is not your Settings Page in vBulletin 5.. Settings and Messages have been split and your Message Center only shows messages that need action.

Anyway, there is an addon that will be available to allow you to mark notices as read.
                      Yea, that would only really allow you to keep up with new comments on the thread, but it wouldn't link you to specific responses to your responses or the particular posts that have been liked that you have received notification on. Unless I am missing something I haven't seen a setting like that on the subscriptions tab.

Comment