vBulletin Connect (social network) should not be vBulletin 5 (social community)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by manebe
    If everything is similar, how do I explain to my board users the difference between a forum post, a blog entry, a photo entry, or a group discussion entry?
    These are really just templates. Should be able to change things...
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• manebe
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      These are really just templates. Should be able to change things...
      Maybe not just templates, the whole site architecture..

When are this changes to vB5 scheduled for ?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

I don't know what you mean by architecture. The individual pages can be edited by you. Drag and Drop, remove modules, add modules, change whether the sidebar is left or right or gone...

Template control how the different content looks though. By changes, I meant style developers, addon programmers, etc... Though based on feedback, the defaults could be changed to. That is why you need to get your ideas into JIRA.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• manebe
          • Jan 2011

So many good points there:

Originally posted by rudedog1968
          vB has lost it's way and the only thing they can think about is to move their business to social media in the way facebook does things. This in itself will shoot themselves in the foot. They should be expanding their forum software instead of trying to integrate into a COMPETING medium.

Originally posted by rmwebs
          A forum is a community specific to one topic, and is not restricted by some large company. If you were to start a forum via facebook it would be junk - no real threaded discussions, no emotional interaction, no smilies, etc. People go on facebook to post a quick update - not to have an in-depth discussion.

Forums will ALWAYS be around in their current form as there quite simply is zero comparison between a forum and a social network.

Originally posted by iyama
          Facebook is not my thing, even for my forum users.
          Buth vb is pussing that thing hard to in vb5!
          So vb is not a forum software any more, buth a plugin for facebook.

Comment

• manebe
            • Jan 2011

I am reading that you are now thinking about keep-on with vB 4,
            let me say it seems to me a good idea.

Please, have a look on this thread and consider the idea to target 2 differents segments:

vBulletin 4: a robust discussion board (content and discussion community).

vBulletin Connect: facebooky thing (social networking).

Comment

• MikeF
              • Jan 2006

They should establish their own single-sign on system and make other options like Facebook and Google+ optional in the settings. Social networking is now. Forums will go under without taking it into account. Let there be no doubt about this. Let you disable all of the social networking features you want, all of the CMS activity you want, and all of the blogging you want. But social networking resulted in the largest IPO in history, the largest Internet audience in history, and it will eradicate bulletin board systems if they don't evolve. I disagree on all levels.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...