vBulletin Connect (social network) should not be vBulletin 5 (social community)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlexanderT
    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by soniceffect
    Actually the statement was "Dont build forums" which is a completely different statement. ... I believe you like it anyways. I've misquoted you below...
    Why should I even bother replying to you? vB 5 beta 10 says more than a thousand words.

Comment

• zascok
      • Jul 2012
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zachery
      You do know that is mostly the entire concept of the site builder? Modules, drag and drop, etc?
      You see we again not in the same page. I 'm talking about a forum with own modules. You are talking about a web-site builder.

If that is the case IB have to state it clearly that the days of forum are gone, now it is a unknown web-site builder not the famous vBulletin board

And hey don't worry about the customers. Nature doesn't stand emptiness even in the digital world, as soon as the message that vB has gone, would be clear to some, there will be others to fill that empty room.
      Last edited by zascok; Fri 14 Sep '12, 4:36am.

Comment

• Lizard King
        Banned
        • Mar 2004
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Zachery
        You do know that is mostly the entire concept of the site builder? Modules, drag and drop, etc?
        Thing is none of us can actually use that new entire concept. None of us can also see it in action so we can judge if the concept is designed good or bad.
        And the published product screams : Don't pay for me

So how can we see that concept ?

Comment

• 14DH01
          • Sep 2010
          • 4.2.x

new concept, new subscription, lot of money
          my forum Support bug reports please

Comment

• manebe
            • Jan 2011

I expect vBulletin to be a discussion board not a social networking board:

forums, blogs, news, galleries, albums, chats, profile messages, comments, calendar, etc.

All those together are believed to create a discussion board, everyone would choose the best module that fits with his own community, not just forums, not just blogs.

I am looking for a discussion board, does not matter whether I run separately forums, blogs, groups or I run them all together.

Not only vB 5 Connect does not seem to me a discussion board, but also everything on vB5 is forum-like. There is no difference between a post entry and a blog entry, where are the albums?, why should I use blogs if they are similar to forum? What about group discussion topics, the same as forum?

Some people do not want forums, right: what are they going to get as an alternative choice:
            a forum-like called "blogs"?
            a forum-like called "group discussion" ?

That is to say: people who do not want forums are getting forums.

No thanks, I do not throw my money away.

Comment

• pokesph
              • Apr 2003

[NoScript InjectionChecker] JavaScript Injection in ///forum/showthread.php/407427-vBulletin-Connect-(social-network)-should-not-be-vBulletin-5-(social-community)?p=2337773
              (function anonymous() {forum / showthread.php / 407427 - vBulletin - Connect - (social - network) - should - not - be - vBulletin - 5 - (social - community);DUMMY_EXPR;})
              Steve, Webmaster and Admin
              www.pokecommunity.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by AlexanderT
                A few days ago Wayne stated that most of IB's customers don't use forums. I was baffled as you can imagine. Now I see that this might actually be true...
                Not exactly what I said. I said they aren't building forums but instead building websites. Forums are just a part of a website. In the 3.6 days, a site would be just a forum and nothing else. That started changing in 3.7 and onward. Customers want custom pages and different content types for their sites instead of simple discussion forums. One reason why the Publishing Suite outsold the classic forums.

For those who want simple forums, you can disable blogs and other content types with permissions even in vBulletin 5.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by manebe
                  Not only vB 5 Connect does not seem to me a discussion board, but also everything on vB5 is forum-like. There is no difference between a post entry and a blog entry, where are the albums?, why should I use blogs if they are similar to forum? What about group discussion topics, the same as forum?
                  Do you want a Photo Forum that can act as a gallery?

Click image for larger version

Name:	photoforum.png
Views:	2
Size:	891.7 KB
ID:	3690316

Or do you want personal albums on a user's profile like vBulletin 4?

Name:	mediatab.png
Views:	2
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	3690317

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• rootsxrocks
                    • Aug 2009
                    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                    Do you want a Photo Forum that can act as a gallery?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62094[/ATTACH]

Or do you want personal albums on a user's profile like vBulletin 4?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62095[/ATTACH]
                    Nice try but it needs a hot or not rating system built in people wont be inspired to upload photos if they can't get feedback
                    Designing Your Forum Around The Members Lifestyle becoming A Valuable Asset To The Community With VB Before Trying To Make A Buck.

Comment

• zascok
                      • Jul 2012
                      • 3.8.x

For those who want simple forums, you can disable blogs and other content types with permissions even in vBulletin 5.
                      Why exactly one would pay for full pack to disable , everything else but forum. Suits sales bit the forum sales -tru.
                      How many satisfied customers? I personally don't know anyone who is happy with CMS.

Not to mention the marketing step that buying SUIT would provide you life-long support while forum only is 30 days

And now instead of bringing that creature to live as promised, IB has created another monster that they hope would bring even more money.

vB4 was a raw product up until recently for 3 years all the customers were working for IB as beta-testers, JiRA is flooding with unsolved issues.

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	3690330

But who cares right? The money for 4 have been paid already in return customers get promises only.

And hey lets make more money. Lets unleash the 5 version, with even more redundancy, more unsolved issues. We already have a good name, so doesn't matter what we would sell. There is sucker born every day.

Good luck with that. Just between me and you Wayne. Yesterday the message that vB is dead (Amen) has been announced on one of the biggest vBulletin Russian speaking community. (Funny thing they have a section of nonVb forums support. Guess what? vB5 have been placed in that section.)

Not ones not twise it's was repeated over and over by different users from different countries most of them have beeeeeeeeeen with vB ever since it start to be possible to pay for the soft from Eastern Europe. But well before that they were using vB buying licenses through relatives or friends in West or just using Nulleds.
                      Last edited by zascok; Sat 15 Sep '12, 1:59am.

Comment

• manebe
                        • Jan 2011

First of all, thanks for your answer Wayne.

Do not want to sound disrespectful, just please do not make misinformation, and do not mix up a discussion board photo gallery with a “facebooky” media photo.
                        You also know, better than me, that single user profile photos is not a all user board gallery.

Just let me sum up what a discussion board gallery (not a facebook media photo) is meant to be:

A decent main gallery page, e.g. IPB Gallery module or DragonByte Gallery plugin or recent vB Gallery (by scandals) plugin.
                        Does vB5 include this?

A single pic URL where user are allowed to comment, as vB4 has.
                        Does vB5 include this?
                        Why would I loose this function from vB4?

A system to categorize photos (pics categories).
                        Does vB5 include this?

A rating system in order user to rate pics.
                        Does vB5 include this?

What about albums?

Would a user understand that creating a album in his profile also create a new Topic in “Special/Album” ?
                        Are album being categorized?

Does someone really think is worth paying 200 euros for that kind of confused media photos and confusing album page?
                        Not to talk about blogs..

Is this a serious album?

Name:	albums.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	3690331
                        Last edited by manebe; Sat 15 Sep '12, 5:23am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

No... what you're showing are photo topics. What I've shown in my screenshots are albums.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• manebe
                            • Jan 2011

What I've shown in my screenshots are albums.
                            Wayne, your screenshots show single user albums (i.e. personal albums), not ALL users album.
                            Where do I find out a page with all user albums being called?

No... what you're showing are photo topics.
                            Photo topics?

I did not create any topic, just upload pics on my media profile!
                            Those album topics are being created automatically!

Look at the URL vbulletin.com/vb5demo/special/albums/2317-album and have a look to the breadcrumb: Home / Special / Albums

What are photo topics for?
                            Why are they called Albums?
                            Why are they created automatically?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

To view your albums as Albums, you go to the Media tab on your profile. The pictures uploaded are stored in the Albums Channel which is a sub-channel of Special. Special also holds private messages, etc...

What you have drilled down to is the equivalent of a Photo Topic where people can comment etc... If you look at the Photo tab on the channel it gives a more traditional album view.. Since Albums is a channel you can customize the modules to show the photos automatically instead of the actvity stream or topic views.

The pictures are in the Album channel because everything goes into a channel somewhere. Blogs are channels, Social Groups are channels, Forums are Channels, Albums are channels. As a special channel, it is normally hidden though. Though I think the Album Channel has a lot of potential personally.

No, it doesn't work the same way as vBulletin 4. It wasn't intended to. It was moved to a new framework that will enable growth and new functionality like True Galleries to be possibly added in the future. Not something that was easily possible in vBulletin 4 without duplicating tons of code. You can approximate some Gallery functionality with the modules and permissions now though. That is the first picture above... Doesn't replace Photopost but will suit most customer's needs.

Anything you feel you need, you should log as an improvement request.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• manebe
                                • Jan 2011

Thanks for the detailed answer.

I understand, just let me say all seems to be confusing.

Too similar to Facebook, everything integrated but nothing clearly separated.

Back to the topic:

We were waiting for a cleaner and faster evolution of vB4:

CMS + Blogs + Forums + Groups + Albums: different modules, different functions, different design.

If everything is similar, how do I explain to my board users the difference between a forum post, a blog entry, a photo entry, or a group discussion entry?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...