vBulletin Connect (social network) should not be vBulletin 5 (social community)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • manebe
    • Jan 2011

vBulletin Connect (social network) should not be vBulletin 5 (social community)

I bought a vB4 suite licence one year ago and, till the moment, I have been a medium satisfied client: vBulletin 4 suite is not as a great software as I was waiting for (so many bugs!) but was almost good considering my basic expectations and thanks to some good plugin.

The new vBulletin Connect does not have separate albums (pics are just integrated) neither separate blog or separate groups, everything being a new entries looks like a new forum entry: why that?

The new vBulletin Connect looks like Facebook, I would say a social network. Me I bought vB4 suite because I wanted a community modular software not a network software (e.g. Elgg) !

I suggest vBulletin Connect to be a separate software targeting social network websites whilst vBulletin 5 should be kept as the classic social community modular software.

I am sorry, me cannot upgrade to vB Connect, that is not a vB4 suite improvement, vB Connect is just a different product.

Best Regards
  • zascok
    • Jul 2012
    • 3.8.x

Look for something else mite, I don't know what is the problem they keep pushing this facebooky thing instead of proper forum (discussion board).
    I already have started to look around.

Freackin Ridiculous coment to a forum post and the blogs within the forum taht not even sharing the same topics? What is next? Let me guess ... O yeah a pink button that says poke her

Comment

• manebe
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by zascok
      they keep pushing this facebooky thing instead of proper forum (discussion board).
      That is the point, me I thought vBulletin was a robust discussion board not a "facebooky thing".
      Freackin Ridiculous coment to a forum post
      Please, could someone explain what are comments in forum for ?
      Last edited by manebe; Thu 13 Sep '12, 8:58am.

Comment

• rootsxrocks
        • Aug 2009
        • 4.2.X

I have not looked in depth at the new warez but I can say that i certainly do not want to create an atmosphere that further shallows the focus on meaningful topics and conversations with gimmicky dribble.
        I am looking for contributors of valued information and opinion not a train to collect social contacts.
        Designing Your Forum Around The Members Lifestyle becoming A Valuable Asset To The Community With VB Before Trying To Make A Buck.

Comment

• 14DH01
          • Sep 2010
          • 4.2.x

I completely agree with you
          A bakery not going to build cars. Everything must be in its place.
          Add the applications must not hinder social forum.

I can understand the need for some "forums" to taste this trend internet.

But again you are trying to generalize the tools we need or not.

You must continue to develop the code "FORUM" and propose adding plugins to the needs of clients.

Everyone can then buy what he needs for his forum
          my forum Support bug reports please

Comment

• Hall of Famer
            • Apr 2009
            • 3.8.x

Well I am not quite sure the direction VB is going, while they should be flexible enough to give customers more options to decide what they want for their sites. Just like admin control panel, the beauty of it is that we can create completely different forums from this one single forumware. Would be nice if you can choose whether you want your forum to be facebook-like or classic from ACP though.

Comment

• zascok
              • Jul 2012
              • 3.8.x

That is the point, me I thought vBulletin was a robust discussion board not a "facebooky thing".
              The message we were given sounds like
              "If you are looking for a forum -here is nothing for you"

Comment

• 14DH01
                • Sep 2010
                • 4.2.x

The ancestors of the social network, it is the "forums" is not up to us to bow to facebook or another.
                Yes ok to add buttons to "connect facebook" but do a forum site Facebook is different.
                All this to be universally known and nothing in the content of the site useful consistency.
                Vbulletin "should create the application "connect vBulletin".and we'll see if the social network site will install the pluging "vb"

- - - Updated - - -

this is a serious mistake to reverse the trend

Comment

• manebe
                  • Jan 2011

You vBulletin guys, why not spin-offing vBulletin targeting two segments:

vBulletin 5: a robust discussion board (content community).
                  vBulletin Connect: facebooky thing (social networking).

Thanks to Galerio, me I could not have explained it better:

Originally posted by galerio
                  This VB5 is really like facebook: a place where things are shooted over the user, and the user must superficially read and pass by. And it could interact with the threads just with some simple short message, like it happens on facebook. A forum, I think, is one of the last places where brain is still used to post messages. Places like facebook are made for teenagers who don't want to power up their brain.

Comment

• zascok
                    • Jul 2012
                    • 3.8.x

I was serious about the message tho

Comment

• 14DH01
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 4.2.x

Originally posted by manebe

is also a solution

Envoyé par Galerio
                      Cette VB5 est vraiment comme facebook: un endroit où les choses sont tourné sur l'utilisateur, et l'utilisateur doit lire et superficiellement passer. Et il pourrait interagir avec les fils juste avec un peu simple message court, comme il arrive sur facebook . Un forum, je pense, est l'un des derniers endroits où le cerveau est encore utilisé pour envoyer des messages. endroits comme Facebook sont faites pour les adolescents qui don 't voulez pouvoir monter leur cerveau.
                      Galerio=> I'll add as a friend lol

- - - Updated - - -

I was serious about the message tho

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...404798-vB-Lite

it can be simply disable via admin panel.
                      it makes the thing feasible.

But some are not entered in the code means disable

Comment

• pokesph
                        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by manebe

Originally posted by galerio
                        This VB5 is really like facebook: a place where things are shooted over the user, and the user must superficially read and pass by. And it could interact with the threads just with some simple short message, like it happens on facebook. A forum, I think, is one of the last places where brain is still used to post messages. Places like facebook are made for teenagers who don't want to power up their brain.
                        I agree 100%.

vB5 NEEDS to be a discussion board, a forum, using modern coding and just tying in various social networking aspects for users to use, not BE a social network.
                        Steve, Webmaster and Admin
                        www.pokecommunity.com

Comment

• AlexanderT
                          • Mar 2003

A few days ago Wayne stated that most of IB's customers don't use forums. I was baffled as you can imagine. Now I see that this might actually be true...

Comment

• pokesph
                            • Apr 2003

what?
                            you do realize that since IB purchased vB, that now most of IB customers are now us vB users and thus use forums, right?
                            Steve, Webmaster and Admin
                            www.pokecommunity.com

Comment

• AlexanderT
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by pokesph
                              what?
                              you do realize that since IB purchased vB, that now most of IB customers are now us vB users and thus use forums, right?
                              What I meant to say: I can now see that it might be true that this is what they believe.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...