X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DecNetPHase4
    • May 2008
    • 3.6.x

Been playing around at:

Seems really slow page load times for what is being served?

Comment

• querschlaeger
      • Aug 2009
      • 4.2.X

I ask again:

Originally posted by querschlaeger
      How can I register without Javascript enabled?!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

You can't. The system is designed to be used with Javascript enabled. Even phones and screen readers use Javascript these days without problem. AJAX driven pages are indexed by search engines as well.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• rmwebs
          • Nov 2005
          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          You can't. The system is designed to be used with Javascript enabled. Even phones and screen readers use Javascript these days without problem. AJAX driven pages are indexed by search engines as well.
          Guessing you never saw what happened to Gawker Media (i.e Lifehacker, gawker.com, etc) the day they launched a non-backward compatible javascript redesign across all their sites...

Comment

• Paul K
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by rmwebs
            Guessing you never saw what happened to Gawker Media (i.e Lifehacker, gawker.com, etc) the day they launched a non-backward compatible javascript redesign across all their sites...
            Looks like I'll be stuck with vB4 until someone will push out some awesome mod that fixes this mess.
            Last edited by Paul K; Sat 15 Sep '12, 6:33am. Reason: Idiot typo

Comment

• pokesph
              • Apr 2003

you do mean push, right? (your typo is quite funny too )
              Steve, Webmaster and Admin
              www.pokecommunity.com

Comment

• rmwebs
                • Nov 2005
                • 3.7.x

Originally posted by rmwebs
                Still waiting Zachery...
                Guessing Zachary cant answer a simple question. If you were lying at least have the decency to retract your statement.

Comment

• ShyGuy82
                  • Feb 2007

I would have to side with vB on this one. Why would people disable their javascript? I think some people are just paranoid. I just don't see any valid reason to disable js at least not in 2012. The point of "malicious javascript" was made in early 2000s but since then that point is moot.
                  Speed up your member list page by at least 5x (4.x.x)

http://nicknameregister.com/files/20...0/ShyGuy82.jpg

Comment

• oldz442
                    • Apr 2012

I disable JS all the time. However, being a SE Evaluator, I do this for other reasons.
                    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• ShyGuy82
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oldz442
                      I disable JS all the time. However, being a SE Evaluator, I do this for other reasons.
                      So what's stopping you from turning it back on?

Comment

• oldz442
                        • Apr 2012

off/on as needed. Checking for sites doing naughty things.
                        ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• ShyGuy82
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oldz442
                          off/on as needed. Checking for sites doing naughty things.
                          Ah I see, then it's not really a problem for you

Comment

• AlexanderT
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by ShyGuy82
                            I would have to side with vB on this one. Why would people disable their javascript?
                            This is not just about security.

Javascript is not a prerequisite for browsing the Web, nor should it be.

There are devices out there that don't support Javascript; for instance, screenreaders for visually impaired people. In some countries/states, companies are required by law to create accessible websites, and that includes making the sites available to people with aforementioned disability.

Another issue with Javascript is that it takes the load of parsing a website to the client side. More processing power required by the client can have a negative effects in particular on smaller devices. Depending on your device's CPU, this can range from insignificant (iPhone) to massive (Kindle). Besides, it will have a high impact on devices' batteries.

Back on topic. This is not about disabling Javascript completely. It's about the _considerate use_ of Javascript in places where it adds the highest additional benefit. vB5demo is a shiny example of Javascript/Ajax overdone, with all its (unintended) consequences (completely useless without Javascript, slow loading due to big JS libraries, slow parsing due to the client's processing requirements, lack of accessibility, inability to bookmark specific locations, ...).

Comment

• tickedon
                              • Jan 2004
                              • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 3

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                              Has there been any consideration of the issues disabled users might encounter, who often have to use out-of-date applications and screen readers in order to navigate? I'd hope that vBulletin hasn't lost its roots so much that you're unaware of the UK's Disability Discrimination Act, which has included the provision of accessible websites from something like 1999! I'm sure you also know that the EU has been wanting to standardise the rules in this area for a while, so it's not something that is going away...

It seems to me that horrible design decisions were taken early in the development of version 5, and staff are now stuck with trying to justify these in the face of huge opposition - opposition that is largely valid, logical and entirely sensible.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with an all-signing-all-dancing javascript-loving vBulletin. But you need some graceful degradation for browsers (and users) in situations that can't support it.
                              Alasdair Stewart || SolidPHP, Inc - www.solidphp.com
                              # License, distribute and sell your PHP scripts - SPBAS licensing solution
                              # Does your licensing provider have over 5 years of experience?

★ STOP PRESS! Click here for my FAQ on the changes for existing customers

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                                • Aug 2000

Just stating how it is. I wasn't involved in the initial design process so I can't answer those questions. I've only been involved with vBulletin 5 over the last three months. My contributions and concerns are noted in JIRA.
                                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                                vBulletin 5 API

Comment